PDA

View Full Version : lw and ut2003 animations?

Mangled Poly
06-19-2003, 08:03 AM
Is there anyway to get animations into ut2k3 for example karma on maps or what not, i know there are ways for max and maya but for lightwave?

Mangled Poly
06-20-2003, 08:02 AM
common not one person knows?

oxygen_77
06-20-2003, 02:00 PM
I saw a plugin that supposedly exports animations from Layout to UT2003 but I haven't yet gotten it to work. It's called MRB_X-UnrealSkel.p and I think I found it on one of the Unreal mod sites (can't remember now which one, sorry). I personally would also be interested in how to get this working if anybody knows... I think I'm going to try to set up a model so it can use a premade skeleton within the UT2003 engine first, but I would ultimately like to make my own skeleton and animations...

ChrisBasken
06-20-2003, 04:42 PM
I've been working with LW and UT2k3 for a few weeks now. All I can get to work (at the moment) are Static Meshes, but half the time my UV mapping skews or stretches for inexplicable reasons.

I also grabbed the MRB_X-UnrealSkel plug-in, but I haven't tested it yet. According to the author, it likes to crash with any LW over 6.5, and I'm not sure it's designed to actually work with UT2k3 so much as just the original UT...

I know many of the Static Meshes that came with UT2k3 were made in LW.

ChrisBasken
06-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Specifically, it seems as if UnrealEd can't handle UVs that have been unwelded, repositioned, and re-merged. Any thoughts on workarounds?

oxygen_77
06-20-2003, 09:07 PM
If that's the case then it's pretty much hopeless because in order to get a decent UV unwrap you almost always have to unweld, reposition, and merge. I'm beginning to think it's a good thing I just downloaded gmax because I may have to use it for setting up my animations... hopefully it'll handle exporting to something UnrealEd can handle.

ChrisBasken
06-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Well, before we all panic, I don't know that's the case, but I'm trying to figure out why sometimes my UVs are positioned correctly on my Static Meshes, and sometimes they're slid all over the place.

Like I said, many of the Static Meshes that came with the maps in UT2003 were done in LW, so it's possible to get them to map properly. I might be doing something else wrong.

ChrisBasken
06-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Okay, it seems UnrealEd ganks if you have too many UV maps for a given object (mesh). When I cut it down to one big one, the textures lined up perfectly.

TheBeast
06-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Here's the site for the LW skeletal animation plug, i havent had too much success with it, but someone i know has got it working ok, so its probably worth a look seeing as its the only option at the minute :)

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mbristol/unrealskel/

Sniffet
06-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Regarding the UV problem... There´s nothing wrong with the UV. It the way UT handles .tga files. Download the .dds plug-in for photoshop (avail at Nvidia developer website), save all your textures as .dds, and flipping textures are a thing of the past..

/Regards Sniffet

ChrisBasken
06-22-2003, 04:28 AM
Can LW understand .dds? Or do I have to make my textures .tga (or whatever) for working in LW and then .dds for importing into UnrealEd?

Sniffet
06-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Lw does not handle direct draw surfaces (yet?), so you have to save out your baked surfaces as .tga and then later convert them to .dds.

/Regards Sniffet

ChrisBasken
06-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Gotcha. I wonder if this is related to my other problem regarding saving out .utx packages (I can make them, but other people can't open them in UnrealEd).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.