PDA

View Full Version : XSI mental ray diffuse pass doesn't show transparency..

Stemy
12-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently doing a project now and i'm rendering out in passes but I am having trouble trying to get my transparency working for my diffuse pass. it doesn't seem to register the alpha that I set. I have posted some pics for you guys to see.

first file is the correct render with the correct transparency using default pass.

the second one is the diffuse pass having the wrong transparencies.

I might be doing something wrong somewhere... anyone who has encountered this problem pls advice.. thanks :shrug:

JDex
12-06-2008, 07:29 PM
The built-in passes are simply setup for a typical situation. You'll need to modify them for the specific needs of your shot. W/o seeing you scene/pass setup it's hard to guess, but you'll probably need a new partition for the object's w/ sprite shader and create a new, but similar override to respect the sprite shader.

Stemy
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Jdex, thanks for your post. You are right.. I did not add any override to the pass to respect the sprite...

I also found another way to solve it ...
instead of clicking create new empty pass.. I selected create the diffuse pass instead. i realised that it automatically respect my transparency mapping..

Cheers mate!:D

Arbalest
12-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Just a side note:
The built in passes seem to be a relic from older versions of XSI - they are not very useful in most situations and don't seem to work at all with newer features like the architectural material. I also found the preset for the caustic pass doesn't work whatsoever.
My advice would be to create your own passes for your individual needs.

JDex
12-15-2008, 05:24 AM
Just a side note:
The built in passes seem to be a relic from older versions of XSI - they are not very useful in most situations and don't seem to work at all with newer features like the architectural material. I also found the preset for the caustic pass doesn't work whatsoever.
My advice would be to create your own passes for your individual needs.

AFAIK, that is correct. I honestly haven't used one of the pre-defined ones since I learned how Passes/Partitions/Overrides work. Probably a misguided assumption for my part that they are being kept up-to-date with the changes to the rest of the system.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2008, 05:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.