PDA

View Full Version : Maya 5 hardware rendering

HONG KONGer
06-19-2003, 05:36 AM
Is it for on-screen viewing only? Can I make video file with it?

anakinskywalker
06-19-2003, 05:49 AM
To access Hardware Render Globals attributes:

Select Window > Rendering Editors > Render Globals, and in the Render Globals window, select Edit > Hardware Render Globals.

You can now render the screen as image sequences using your hardware and later convert it into video using any application of your choice. (Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere for example)
This is usually faster. If you have been experimenting with particles, this is the only ay to render some kind of particles.

Note: This question has been answered in utmost seriousness.

;)

HONG KONGer
06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
So hardware rendering is not designed for and can't render video?

anakinskywalker your method is kinda like stop-motion.;)

Winfred
06-19-2003, 01:40 PM
I'm afraid it's how maya works,
every for software rendering, only uncompressed avi can be exported.

It is strongly recommended to export a movie as image seqences and composite all the elements in compositing software.

This method give you better control over the final product btw.

And I agree with anakinskywalker.
I think the purpose of Hardware rendering in maya is to give a quick rough preview of the motion/action and to render hardware particle.

P.S. i only use hardware buffer for particle :hmm:

anakinskywalker
06-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Well, there you go Hongkonger again... Please save these posts later and read it at a later date...say 5 yrs from now and you will look at your questions with a new perspective.

I would like to stress again that... if you are going to do "real work" you "should" render your files as image sequences (TIFF,TGA,IFF etc.). This does not classify as stop motion in anyway. In any project you have to use a compositing software. That is the workflow.

altruizine
06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Actually at my job I do quite a few flat shaded graphics for broadcast motion graphics sequences - Since those shaders work in maya 4.5 HW renderer (5 is much nicer!) I do quite a bit of my rendering out of there for broadcast. You just can't beat 36 sampled motion blur at 2.5 sec/frame.

Looks great, works great and most important, renders reaaaly fast.

Maya 5's HW engine is built to really expand on the capabilities in order to render out quite a bit more as Final render from there..

-JF

arangel
06-19-2003, 09:44 PM
2.5 sec/frame? What setting is that? A motion blur setting?

Thanks.

Rangel

altruizine
06-19-2003, 10:06 PM
in the Maya 4.5 hardware render buffer attributes - Multi-Pass Render Options.

HW rendering can blast 36 frames to your framebuffer as fast as you card can do it to create motion blur. Since I'm doing solid shaded graphic elements I'm not often dealing w/ immense geometry.

It's very quick and very useful in my case. I'm hoping someone will create a page that shows the differences in qualities of the 5.0 HW renderer with different cards. I'm looking forward to using it, but don't want to invest until I'm sure it'll be useful.

-JF

arangel
06-19-2003, 10:10 PM
I still donŽt get the 2.5sec/frame. Is that the time your system took to render a motion blurred frame?
I think the idea of a benchmark of speed and quality of diferent cards is great. Do you care to make a test scene?

Rangel

altruizine
06-19-2003, 10:40 PM
yeah, for the things that I've been using it for, I'm looking at about 2.5 secs for a 36pass motion blurred frame - w/ a GeForce4Ti.

For geometry, Maya 4.5's HW render isn't all that entirely useful for broadcast unless you're doing what I'm doing.

it's 5's quality that I'd like to get a look at since I don't have it. I'd like to see what each card can produce and how close it is to the SW render

arangel
06-20-2003, 03:06 AM
If you sen d me your 4.5 file IŽll render it on Maya 5. I also have a GeForce 4 Ti, but I use the SoftQuadro script on it.

Rangel

altruizine
06-20-2003, 03:32 AM
Seriously all I'd love to see is a few comparison renderings between 5's Software and Hardware rendering. Render out a few scenes w/ both and post your results here! :)

Even a simple scene w/ some bump mapping, reflection mapping - anything to test the limits of the HW render on that particular card.

Then hopefully we can find someone w/ a different card (perhaps and ATI?) who can post some of their comparisons...

That would be of great use to us w/out 5 and looking to upgrade and trying to see what kind of HW we should be looking at to take advantage of those things...

Kabab
06-20-2003, 08:52 AM
We got some quadro's at work i can try it with if someone sends me a sence.

I can't do it for another week though.

anakinskywalker
06-20-2003, 01:23 PM
I have a quadro 550 XGL.. I am not sure if it can render bump map and reflection map. Can it?
I would like a sample file as well to try out ..or some tutorial pointing me somewhere.

Kabab
06-21-2003, 03:20 AM
We got the 980's which do bump maps and specular highlights nicely but i can' seem to get any shadows :hmm:

altruizine
06-21-2003, 04:17 AM
ah, great! Yeah, we should come up w/ a scene to test HW rendering in 5.0... Maybe I'll toss something together this weekend and put it up for downlowd - or, if someone else has something that would work too..

I'm also curious - the cards that do have working shadows - how well do they do a HW GI_Joe render?

Anyone??

-JF

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.