PDA

View Full Version : ParticleAge Opacity Shadows

grindill
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I was going through "Deconstructing the Elements Vol. 2" and came across a bit of a problem. I am doing the Oil Fire animation in Chapter 4 (with a few personal modifications of course). I wanted to have some nice Raytraced shadows cast on the ground. I've got a Particle Age Map controlling the opacity to make the smoke fade out before they die. The problem is that the shadows only pick up 0% on the Particle Age. It doesn't go through the whole age. Has anyone else had this problem and found a work around for it. Here's what I eventually did but I was hoping there was a simpler solution. I mapped the particle system to Black and White and rendered from the light's postition over a white background, thus making an animatied map to put into the lights projection slot. Does this sound like what others would have done or is there another way. Here's a sample of how it turned out.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/3085217636_374ce34300_o.jpg

grindill
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
moderator, please close or delete this thread since it was a double post.

Thanks,
Grindill

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.