PDA

View Full Version : Help on Car Modeling

shushens
12-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Hello Modo people!

I have watched Andy's Le Man's exp. DVD. While his own performance is electrifying, I am not fully sure how to apply it on much more complicated models, such as this one:

http://xs434.xs.to/xs434/08494/top411.gif

http://xs434.xs.to/xs434/08494/sides980.gif

It is a Lotus Elite 1962. Not one of the most complicated cars you can think of, but has much more fine details compared to that C9. I am not a newbie when it comes to 3D. But I have always worked on rich ambience and simple models. So I am new to complex technical modeling such as this. And I want to do it high-poly.

I tried box modeling this one, also tried patching, but not quite sure of the workflow for the complex regions so after working a while, I am kinda losing track and getting stalled.

You guys who have a lot of experience in technical modeling please suggest me a good workflow for this baby. I usually fancy classic models that have barrel shapes behind the headlights, not the flat bonet cars that we mostly see nowadays.

Thanks in advance!

brenly
12-05-2008, 09:15 AM
u should first start of building the Lemans car exactly as Andy does .. get a feel for it and work your way up to building something like this. Or tackling it in parts. Its pretty hard to give any advice better than what Andy demonstrates.

Martin Kay
12-05-2008, 09:52 AM
You have the unusual luxury of having a reasonable set of 'three views' for the vehicle in question. The first task would be to check they are all to the same scale and all the various features line up together as they should. If they dont line up you need to make them line up otherwise you will have untold trouble modelling with contradicting views. You'd then set them up as background items in Modo. You'd best post on Modo's own forum if you aren't totally familiar with the various aspects of this as there are two ways of using background images. Also I'd suggest that you actually go through the Le Mans tutorial so you are familiar with the various modelling techniques which can be applied to any model.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2008, 09:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.