PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of upgrading?

rnb2
06-19-2003, 01:16 AM
I'm currently running 6.5b, but bear with me for a moment.

First, character animation will be done in messiah:studio, so many of the new animation tools introduced since 6.5 probably won't see use. Second, primary modeling will be done with ZBrush (though most models will pass through LWM at some point), so many of the modeling tools added since 6.5 won't see use.

Given that, what major benefits will I see when I upgrade to 7.5? I guess I'm looking mainly at the rendering end, but workflow improvements would also be welcome, based on the above suite of tools. Also, if my assumptions regarding the usefulness of new tools are flawed, please let me know.

I find myself in the financial position to upgrade and take advantage of the DFX+ deal, but honestly don't think I need the compositing ap, as I'm still really an "insane hobbyist" at this point, still trying to keep the number of aps in my brain down to a reasonable number. Theoretically, at least, I guess I could sell DFX+ and end up with a free upgrade (or better), but it also sounds like PMG is edging toward completing the Studio package, with the possibility of third party support on the horizon (SHAVE would be nice, since I already have the LW dongle..........).

So, even given a free upgrade, I'm trying to justify whether it really gains me much, especially if the messiah:render portion gets finished in the semi-near-term. It needs UV support and significant optimization, but I like the look'n'feel already.

Honestly not looking for political or religious fights, just hard info on what the LW upgrade will give me, given the above assumptions.

Thanks in advance and all that..........

wgreenlee1
06-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Thats what I'm wondering also.....

Everyone says to just trust Newtek....

vangaans
06-19-2003, 01:43 PM
The biggest difference I noticed between 6.5 and 7.5 was the performance increases across the board. Everything is so much smoother and quicker in 7.5 over 6.5. I haven't used Z brush so I can't comment on that, but I can say that I am really happy with 7.5 and even 7.5c bar a few little niggles. Re upgrading, I think I am going to wait and see what 8 has to offer, still in two minds.
I am using LW for modelling and character animation and have not had a reason to look elsewhere for new or better tools.

Hope this helps.

FB_Turbine
06-19-2003, 06:38 PM
If your rendering in LW I'd recommend the update. I've seen faster render times in 7.5 the 6.5. It might be my imagination but GI seems to look cleaner too, though I like the feel of M:S GI better at this point.

If you don't have a compositor at this point I'd highly recommend you get one. DF+ is a great deal, once you learn a compositor it will change the way you work and give you a lot more options in putting your work into a final form. Get the demo of DFX and try it out. I doubt we'll see such a good deal again soon, but I hope we do.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.