PDA

View Full Version : Instanced Particles with Displacement Maps

NoisyMonk
12-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi

I'm pretty new to using Particle Flow, so hopfully I'm overlooking something very basic and this is an easy fix. I've searched google and these boards, but haven't found anything related to my problem.

My problem is basically that my Particles don't have the Displacement Map on them that my source geometry has on it. I can sort of understand why (its only taking the "real" geometry from the source) but hopefully someone will have a solution.

Attached is an example. Source object is the blobby thing on the left ;)

Thanks
NoisyMonk

JohnnyRandom
12-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Have you checked Acquire Mapping and Animated Shape (if the map is animated) in the Shape instance operator?

Posting a screencap of the flow along with a shot of the scene is a lot more helpful, stills alone are better for render issues :)

Piflik
12-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I just tried it, and my particles did have the displacement map of the source (max 2008). Don't know what went wrong with your system.

Can you give some more details (version of max, maybe a screenshot of your Flow)?

NoisyMonk
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey, sry I didn't post my flow, its pretty simple, didn't change much. I don't know which section would help, so this is the "Shape Instance 01". I tried checking on and off several different boxes with no luck.

Ps. also using 2008.

NoisyMonk.

JohnnyRandom
12-05-2008, 01:05 AM
It looks correct. I have attached a scene similar to what you are doing see if it works for you.

Max2008 32-bit

NoisyMonk
12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Hmm, interesting. That works just fine, and I think I've found my problem, and I think its related to my Material.

For my displacement, I used the displacement slot on a material, and applied a "Displacement Approx" to the object (which works fine for non-instanced geometry). However, since this doesn't change the mesh until render time, I'm guessing that my Instanced Geometry can't "find/read" that. With your method of Displacing (clearly a better way), everything works the way its supposed to.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

NoisyMonk.

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.