PDA

View Full Version : head blendshapes wont follow main head(Maya)

brazz
12-04-2008, 07:19 PM
hey guys,

I ran into this little problem today.

I made 4 blendshapes for my monkey head. I stacked them all together with the main head( some reason everytime I moved a slider of one of the blends, that blendshape would move to the goal head.

hereīs the thing, everyime I move my rig, letīs say the spline , the goal head comes along as it should, now if I use any of the blendshapes, the head moves back to the starting position. How can I keep my blendshapes linked to my main head or to my rig for that matter?

I tried parenting the blendshapes to the main head, but didnt work. Also tried parenting them to a bone in the head, didnt work either.

please help. ;)

Coyote12
12-04-2008, 08:24 PM
It sounds like you made the blend shapes correct only now the deformation order is not in the right position. Check the order and move them into different order till you have bothe the rigs deformation and the blendshapes deformation working together.

d-brooks
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah check your order of inputs.

Right click on your geo, go to 'all Inputs'. You can rearrange your inputs by middle mouse clicking and dragging.

brazz
12-04-2008, 09:00 PM
hey guys thanks for the replies.

After talking with a friend in msn, I realized I was doing a blendshape for every shape. So I had like 4 blendshapes in total. I started the process again, but this time I selected all my 4 shapes then the main shape for last, and added a blendshape. All my sliders where in place and when I moved the body and worked the blends, it worked great, the head wasnt snaping back to itīs initial position. ;)

thanks again,

brazz
12-05-2008, 03:33 AM
hey guys, Another questions.

Iīm done with the blendshapes for the mouth, I only did a few smiles. Now I want to add some blendshapes for the eyebrows. I realize I could add them afterwards right?

Whatīs hapenning is that the new eyebrows blendshapes are getting in the way of the mouth blendshapes? Any idea on how I can go about fixing that?

How can I limit my blendshape to not affect the mouth area?

cheers,

d-brooks
12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
To limit a blendshape's influence over a specific region you could use the paint blendshape weight tool.

brazz
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
hey D, thanks for the reply, I think that would definetelly work. I didnt need to use it though, I added the blendshape deformer again on my blends and it limited automatically, working fine. thereīs only one issue now.

Everytime I move the body and try the blendshapes, the main head snaps to the blendshape being used. Any idea on how to fix that?

I made a view so you can see my procedure, maybe itīs something Im doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na8tu7l06Ro

thanks

d-brooks
12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
This is the same problem - Order of inputs.

You need to rearrange the order of inputs so that the blendshape deformation happens before the skincluster. See above for how to do this. It'll stop the blendshapes overriding the skinning. :D

brazz
12-05-2008, 06:54 PM
hey D, thanks so much man, it worked. Sorry for not realizing that when you first replied about it, it was the order of inputs all right.

Dang, my rig is finally done then.

cheers

d-brooks
12-05-2008, 10:57 PM
It looks cool dude!!

Did you use setup machine for the body rig?? I like the face shapes :)

Good luck with the rest of your project and keep us posted!!

Coyote12
12-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah after seeing your video it is definitely the deformation order. I was not sure if you did that or you froze transformations on one of your blend shapes.

In the future try this. Do not move your blend shapes off to the side like that. I know almost every tutorial tells you to do this. Every picture of blendshapes does this as well. I find this to be bad information that leads to a lot of mistakes and the only reason for doing it seems to be to make the picture more clear to view but leaves people to make a mistake like freezing the transforms after moving it off to the side.

I suggest you stick each replacement head on a seperate layer and leave them at 0,0,0 rather then have them off to the side. That way if you need to freeze the transform there will be no error for having done so.

Besides that the character and rig look good and I look forward to seeing more of what you are going to do to it.

brazz
12-06-2008, 02:02 AM
hey D and Coyote. thanks for the replies.

D: yeah, I used TSM2. Itīs a very good plugin for Maya, specially for me, Iīm an animator and definetelly didnt want to be bothered with too much rigging stuff, the plugin lets you make a rig in minutes and the automatic weithing works pretty well, itīs just a matter of touching things up later on the joints, hips, like always is. Weight painting is so boring, but defintelly a necessary step. Glad you liked the face blends, quite simple since the char will just smile here and there, it will be mostly body animation.

Coyote: Thanks for the tip, I was placing my blendshapes like you said, I was keeping it all to zero and snapped to the main head. Right now I left them side by side, since I still want to touch up some blends once again.

Glad to know you guys liked the char so far, my first char done from the modelling to animation. This week Iīll be starting the animation on him, Iīll make sure to keep you guys posted.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2008, 02:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.