PDA

View Full Version : help with maya co-ordinates!!

Digitaldruid
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi, Im a long time 3ds max user making a slow switch over to Maya and i have a query regarding Mayas co-ordinate input system. In 3ds max every time I select a object/sub object the position is shown in the transform type-in. when i attempt a similar object or sub-object selection in Maya the Co-ordinates are not shown in the status line. Am i doing something wrong or is there any other way to see the co-ordinates. I have a similar post on the autodesk area forums but i'm not having any luck getting replies.

phix314
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
The coordinate values are in the channel box, no?

Digitaldruid
12-04-2008, 05:50 PM
the channel box shows the transform only in object mode. when i enter edge/face mode nothing appears.

phix314
12-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Ah I see. So you want to move certain components an amount you choose?

Far as I've seen, that's not an option in Maya. There's some workarounds like creating clusters and moving those, but per-selection face/edge/vertices by number, no.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

GrogMcGee
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Ah I see. So you want to move certain components an amount you choose?

Far as I've seen, that's not an option in Maya. There's some workarounds like creating clusters and moving those, but per-selection face/edge/vertices by number, no.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

Actually you can move individual components discrete amounts.

In the UI element Status Line (where you can choose which menu set you in) on the far right there are three boxes labelled x, y, and z; they are under the last disclosure triangle (you may have to click the little symbol to change what they do: the tool can be relative transform, absolute, rename, select by name). These are move by typed in value boxes, which can be set to either absolute or relative.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.