PDA

View Full Version : Presto :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
12-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Hey there,

Presto Producer talks to CGSociety about the huge fun job of moulding the crew to produce PIXAR's latest comedic offering. Have a read and let us know what you think.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/presto_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4809)

RockinAkin
12-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Hollander gave an amazing talk about the production process at Siggraph this year.

Great to see this covered for those that missed it!

firstsingle
12-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Great article, Thanks CGS.

davidbernal
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
oooh! just AWESOME!!! thanks loads! really enjoyed it! ;)

Staszek
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Presto is my favorite short cartoon. Its so funny, greate directoring, shoots, editing,animation, atmosphere.. everything is the best.. i dont know how many people in the world can do such greate funny,short movie. ... Pixars guys can do! ;)

Larry_g1s
12-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the article, PRESTO is an absolutely amazing short! Pixar...:love:

XminusOne
12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Good read...Thanks!!!

AIR
12-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I enjoyed Richard Hollander's talk about Presto at Siggraph this year, as well as Glago's guest, but forgot who introduced it.
Nice read!

Joe Sandstrom
12-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I enjoyed Richard Hollander's talk about Presto at Siggraph this year, as well as Glago's guest, but forgot who introduced it.
Nice read!

The Glago's Guest presentation was given by the Art Director, Andy Harkness from The Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Pooyag
12-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Beautiful stuff...really enjoyed every second of the short :)

Thanks for covering this :beer:

Rymin
12-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Love to see Pixar stuff on here. Great read.

one minor correction. Pete Docter is spelled 'er' not 'or'.

Animdog
12-11-2008, 01:36 PM
I loved the short... But I'm not sure how original it was. I stumbled on this a few years ago, and it felt like a very similar concept, and story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJeoMSefUsQ

After WallE being compared to Shortcircuit I just couldn't help but think that pixar has been running low on originality juice.

Personally for me, because I had seen the balducci student short first, it was a bit of a let down.
I thoroughly enjoyed the short but didn't think is was that original.

C.

David E. Glenn
12-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I saw this short someware and I enjoyed how slap sick it was - like a Loony Toon!
More high marks to Pixar!

Gee! That magician reminds me of someone from my childhood hummm....!

Hello... Walt!

jipe
12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Animdog,

To be honest, neither idea is very "original". It's not a very far leap from "magician who does tricks with rabbit" to something with a bit more conflict, like "magician attempts to do tricks but rabbit doesn't play along." It's a very simple protagonist/antagonist story... and the simpler the story, the easier it is to compare to other ideas. Both short films were well done but neither's premise is complicated, deep, or particularly thought-provoking. And as a side note, I kind of doubt that Doug Sweetland (who wrote and directed Presto) visited Ringling and saw his film; they usually send recruiters out, not animators.

In addition, magicians seem to be a familiar theme, especially among student films. In the past few years I've seen at least 10-12 student animated shorts that feature a magician, some of them with rabbits, so the idea is not new or groundbreaking. As they say, the devil is in the details and the execution -- and this is where Presto and The Great Vince Balducci differ significantly. They both succeed but for different reasons.

And please note that this is not a defense of Pixar; they don't need my help. Rather, this is more of a discussion about the creative process itself. For example, I vote on the 11 Second Club competition every month and sometimes there are up to 150 entries. It's simply mind boggling how many people come up with the exact same jokes, the exact same acting ideas, the same gestures... and they all do it on their own, without watching anyone else's stuff.

Mazinja
12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Of course Presto reminds you of something... its pretty much every Tom and Jerry, Loonie Tunes, and many many more cartoons put together!

Not that this makes it any less awesome. Those cartoons have a charm to them, and they are still funny, even after watching them again so many years later.

Presto was a throughfully enjoyable experience altogether, and the article provided an interesting view on the way things work at Pixar, making me totally envious of that guy :p

Azereus
12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I believe this is fantastic! just like any thing from pixar.
The shader and the animation are 5 stars. And the production has the best quality i've ever seen.

flamander
12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Jackalope short of pixar... I think was for Monsters Inc

in general I like bunnies and this is good too...

maybe great fur work!

David E. Glenn
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
I loved the short... But I'm not sure how original it was. I stumbled on this a few years ago, and it felt like a very similar concept, and story.

One of the problems with Short Subjects in animation is that you don't have much of a time to develop any real story. With some exceptions, It too easy to cram Short Subject story into [as I learned from film school] a common formula.

You kinda fall back on execution of concept or idea. The magician trying pull a rabbit out of a hat is not an original story - it's been done many times and many ways! Even the tricks is also been tried before. Finger in the light socket - Done before! The latter - Done before! Even the concept of the two hats is a derivative of the Portable Hole gage from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It Doesn’t Matter!

Slap Stick is Slap Stick!

The Originality is in the execution of film. How believable the characters are. How we enjoy what's going on and get lost in all the fun. It is done so well that we forget that we might have seen something like it before - even if we care!

That's the point of it!

We set back and enjoy the ride!

After WallE being compared to Shortcircuit I just couldn't help but think that pixar has been running low on originality juice.

Sorry! I just have to say this: Other than some limited features of appearance, Wall-E is not Johnny-5. Any resemblance of any robots (living or dead) is purely consequencual!

The story of Wall-E is a simple one:

boy meets girl, falls in love!

boy loses girl - Due to green plant!

boy wins girl back!

The art if Wall-E is that through motion and emotion (and few words) that we can relate and believe in Wall-E. That Eve is a flowing vision of beauty and we can relate to why Wall-E is so infatuated with her. After that, we are hooked-in, and the ride begins! All we need then is to discover the humanity that Eve develops in the film. And that's just one part of the hole Story!

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.