PDA

View Full Version : Opacity/Flow and brush settings in Photoshop

gamedever
12-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi there, I have quick question regarding brush settings in photoshop. Namely, when to use specific opacity and flow settings.

A lot of tutorials will tell you 'this image was made using x brushes with opacity and flow settings between 30-70% and 40-100%", but they don't tell you when to adjust those settings.

Now, Opacity makes some sense as it means the level of transparency versus opaqueness, but flow.. I'm not so sure about. And it's because of these settings that I am lacking that my paintings blend horribly.

Lunatique
12-05-2008, 06:10 AM
To be totally honest, I've never bothered tweaking the flow setting of my brushes in the last 10 years I've been using Photoshop. I rarely even bother tweaking the opacity since I just set it to be controlled by pen pressure. The ONLY time I mess around with the opacity setting is if my Wacom tablet stopped detecting pen pressure (which is a common bug) and I'm too pressed for time to reboot the computer or Photoshop--I would simply just paint by keeping a finger near the row of numbers on the keyboard to adjust the opacity on the fly.

The best way to set opacity to be controlled by pen pressure. Try it if you haven't yet.

gamedever
12-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Oh I do have them both set that way in brush settings, yes. I should clarify.. at the top of Photoshop there's the opacity and flow.. and even the tutorials I've read that say 'keep the brush settigns at 0 then set them to pen pressure' STILL adjust the opacity and flow numbers at the top of photoshop. Why is that?

Omnisu
12-30-2008, 03:46 AM
Setting the opacity there will set the maximum opacity. If you set it to 70%, then no matter how hard you press, it won't be any more opaque than 70%.

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2008, 03:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.