PDA

View Full Version : Overnight, Blender stopped allowing loading PSDs!

undiluted
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
For many months now, I've been using PSDs in Blender, without a hiccup. It displays on my meshes, no problems whatsoever.

Then this morning, I open up my work, and it "cannot get an image" for any PSD!

It's not a file path issue, because I'm able to load other image formats. Additionally, I first thought it was because the images were stored via Perforce in an external directory and the problem was with my connection or Perforce. But I can't load PSDs from my local directory either.

I didn't change any of my user preferences. I've tried restarting my computer and re-installing Blender. The one thing a programmer coworker theorized is that I recently downloaded new updates for iTunes (and therefore Quicktime) and/or my Adobe stuff. This may have changed the access or rendering function behind PSDs....?

I'm going to try uninstalling iTunes/Quicktime and getting an older version...in the mean time, help!

undiluted
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Fixed! It was in fact something wrong with Quicktime. If this type of shizz happens to you, try uninstalling and reinstalling QT.

bigbad
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Just to add about those psd files. They won't work on the 64bit version of blender.

danielHinton
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I never even knew you could import PSDs. Do they retain layers etc?

undiluted
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Yup, although since it's layered, you can't use Blender's rather useful BodyPaint-esque texture painting tools...

Earlier mentioned programmer claims that what ls likely is that QT's used as a means to parse the PSD down to a flattened interim image that Blender can use.

brkn
12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Earlier mentioned programmer claims that what ls likely is that QT's used as a means to parse the PSD down to a flattened interim image that Blender can use.

That is correct. And to confirm, yeah, Blender uses the QuickTime library to read PSDs, so it's reliant on that being installed properly, and only will work on Windows/Mac.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.