PDA

View Full Version : Considering Modo

KintaroTheBrave
12-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I've been using Blender for the past two or three years now, and while it has the functionality for learning 3D, I do recognize that it has almost no impact on the proffesional community, and not the robust tool set of a full 3D application. I originally became interested in Modo because of its renderer, it produces quality images of your models at an acceptable speed and is reasonable as far as material options and the like. Blender's closest thing is Indigo which takes hours to render anything on and materials are a complete pain. So, please, if this is an acceptable thread to post in here, what reasons are there to go Modo vs another product like C4D, Max, even Maya, when your looking for a modeling application like me? If I have made a mistake in posting this here, please ignore it or delete it.

Erik Heyninck
12-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Modo has a very good set of modeling tools. Sculpting and painting are not that robust.
The renderer is quite impressive for an in-built one. But the materials system is, let's say a bit awkward.

Cinema has good modeling tools, but not as intuitive as Modo's. But it comes with Bodypaint, a very good paint application, inside of the same interface. The new renderer module, AR3, is quite capable and, although not as advanced in some material-specific domains like SSS, it is at the same level as the Modo renderer.

Modo expects 4.01 which will include several stunning new things.
Cinema has just reached 11 which is an overhaul of nearly the entire code.

Modo is more "artistic" in feel, Cinema is arguably the most stable (rock-solid) application in 3D.

Modo is innovative, Cinema has with its modules and some pluginsa lot of options a Modo user can only dream of. Both have a good and helpful user-base and a responsive company (not like Autodesk with Maya, 3DSMAX and XSI)

If you are a student, you can get both at student prices which are very accessible.
Both have demo's that even allow saving.

My personal idea: Modo is in full developement and it's a great modeler. In its actual state it's the ideal companion if you already have a full application. Like Cinema.

3dj
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
My personal idea: Modo is in full developement and it's a great modeler. In its actual state it's the ideal companion if you already have a full application. Like Cinema.

Agreed, those are my choices. I can't live without either one now. I started with C4D, but in the past year and a half or so have add Modo to my workflow and I often wonder how I used to model certain items in C4D. Modo is so different from everything else.

ecco
12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I think now is a good time to buy if you're interested and you have the money available in this moment, as they have a good offer on at the moment that will end very soon (see their front page). I've jumped in and bought it today after having used the demo for a month and bought some training as well and liked it. If you are primarily a modeller, not interested in Character Animation (suppose you wouldn't be here if that was the case), but with interest/need for basic animation and after a decent renderer to show off your models, then modo seems perfect. That's how I saw it anyhow, and the offer that's on simply made the decision a whole lot easier.

I find it to be a bit slow with modelling what with all the different tabs for edge/polygon/vertex operations but supposedly the UI is very customisable so maybe on can get around this. Besides, I like to use Silo as a modeller for simpler and quicker things anyway.

Erik Heyninck makes a lot of points above which are the same things that got me interested. Reading countless opinions about how modo's is excellent as a modeller, but more than anything I was very impressed by the community side of things, with the top guy Brad Peebler also being a face and voice which you see and hear lots. I really like the attitude of the company and how they connect with their user base. I'm still new in the modoverse but first impressions are good ones.

Also, as he says above a newer version is on it's way, and from what I've learnt looking over the forums here and there for the past few weeks, the modo price has been being held back for quite a while now. I would expect the price to jump up somewhat for the new version, also taking into consideration the new features which are on their way. So you could always get modo now while it's available, and while there's a discount even better. You won't be obliged to upgrade if you don't want. If you do then you can aways save some more and get it later on.

HarverdGrad
12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I stuck with Modo through one upgrade. Due to the pricing of Modo, I feel it's way overpriced for what it is.

My advice would be to get a copy of Silo, and get Lightwave. Lightwave is behind the curve on a lot of things, but it's a decent package with a nice renderer.

On the other hand; if I was a student (which I'm not), I'd get 3D Studio, or Maya Unlimited & get a Student license of VRay. I'd be all over that sh*t!!!

Cya!

Martin Kay
12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I stuck with Modo through one upgrade. Due to the pricing of Modo, I feel it's way overpriced for what it is.

My advice would be to get a copy of Silo, and get Lightwave. Lightwave is behind the curve on a lot of things, but it's a decent package with a nice renderer.

On the other hand; if I was a student (which I'm not), I'd get 3D Studio, or Maya Unlimited & get a Student license of VRay. I'd be all over that sh*t!!!

Cya!

You simply can't compare Modo with Silo. Modo is very good value for money. I know Silo is very cheap but it doesn't have the features of Modo by any stretch of the imagination.

Martin K

3dj
12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
You simply can't compare Modo with Silo. Modo is very good value for money. I know Silo is very cheap but it doesn't have the features of Modo by any stretch of the imagination.

Martin K
I totally agree with Martin on this. I used to love Silo, but ever since v2, I felt the simplicity that was the power of Silo was lost. It seemed to me to be trying to play like Modo, and IMO it was not the same app that I really liked in the first versions.

I just am able to do things in Modo that would be next to impossible in the other apps I have used. These include Silo, C4D and Hexagon.

-Jim

MikeJames
12-23-2008, 08:52 AM
I haven't used C4D, but came from years of using Carrara Studio as my primary modeler. I am a HUGE fan of modo now, because for what I do, (mostly scale modeling, focusing on aircraft) it's got a great number of tools that help me do better work, faster. For example, Here's a movie I rendered yesterday of my latest aircraft (http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/modo_media/modo_wip/cessna_t50/t50_137_turntable.mov)

You're looking at about 7.8 million polys there, with adaptive subdivision and global illumination turned off. Instancing (for all the rivets, etc.) works great, and I really couldn't be happier with both the product and the community.

Martin Kay
12-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I haven't used C4D, but came from years of using Carrara Studio as my primary modeler. I am a HUGE fan of modo now, because for what I do, (mostly scale modeling, focusing on aircraft) it's got a great number of tools that help me do better work, faster. For example, Here's a movie I rendered yesterday of my latest aircraft (http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/modo_media/modo_wip/cessna_t50/t50_137_turntable.mov)

You're looking at about 7.8 million polys there, with adaptive subdivision and global illumination turned off. Instancing (for all the rivets, etc.) works great, and I really couldn't be happier with both the product and the community.

Nice model! I'm into aircraft myself...occasionally. Is this the finished job, as you've shown the construction, or is it going to be fabric covered?

Here's a Tiger Moth I did a few years back in c4d. Yes, it would be much much easier in Modo.

http://www.martinkay-3d.com/tigermoth1.html
http://www.martinkay-3d.com/tigerPanel.html

Martin K

MikeJames
12-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Martin, and thank you!

Your Tiger Moth looks great... Love that kind of detail.

My T-50 is probably about 2/3rds finished. It will have a LOT more interior details, and then will be covered with fabric at the end, so it can look normal, yet the interior can be revealed. Lots of fun with modo!

Take care.

funfun
12-27-2008, 12:55 AM
no, I won't recommend. I was a fans of modo, but not anymore now. I also want to sell my license if I can. I will suggest u buy other more complete package.

Novakog
12-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Sorry to link to another thread, but I made a post about my thoughts on modo that may or may not be helpful here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=141&t=692530&page=2).

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2008, 10:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.