PDA

View Full Version : DOF - want better blur quality!

Ovi
06-18-2003, 07:12 PM
I've rendered an image in 3ds max, made an output to a FPR-file with Z-buffer info included.
Now, I want to do some 3D DOF in Combustion, but I have problems with the quality.

Currently i'm using the 3D DOF with the Box blur, but it gives me too many artifacts (otherwise, works quite well and fast!).

I want to use the Gaussian blur to get a better result, but I really can't seem to get it work: Nothing happens - no matter how i tweak my settings with the gaussian blur!

Any tips on this topic?

Chris
06-18-2003, 11:32 PM
I always get better results from using a compund blur operator on the footage. You can use a greyscale Z-Depth image as the source layer, basing it on luminance. If you are doing rich pixel renderings, you can use a show G Buffer operator to show the Z-Depth, then use a blend operator to revert back to the colour layer (you can still pick the show G-buffer layer as the blur source - it saves you from having to set up 2 layers)

spinpatrol
06-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Thanks Chris for the tip on using the blend operator :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.