PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Nforce 3 and AMD Opteron

Gentle Fury
06-18-2003, 05:14 PM
Anyone have any info on the new Nforce 3, they said it uses the new AMD CPUs...............anyone know anything about this single chip Opteron setup they are boasting about?

Im sure this is mad expensive, but im interested if anyone has some info.

elvis
06-18-2003, 11:10 PM
there's a full preview of the board on nvidia's website somewhere.

Gentle Fury
06-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by elvis
there's a full preview of the board on nvidia's website somewhere.

yeah but reading specs and hearing about something from someone that isnt the company that makes it are two different things...........the company is gonna love what they made, but someone actually using it may have another opinion.

Sieb
06-19-2003, 06:39 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=nforce3

http://amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=234&PageID=4

http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=268

Release Dates:

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/06/19&pages=04&seq=20

elvis
06-20-2003, 12:52 AM
opterons will have the memory controllers on board. in laymans terms that means that there will be no need for a northbridge as the current-day design dictates. instead the southbridge will remain, and probably intergrate some of the AGP functionality (or PCI-X in the near future).

that's what they refer to as "single-chip design".

as sieb has pointed out, the release won't be until august, so you're not going to find any hard evidence of how good/bad it is until it's released and people can get their hands on hardware to review. and no, prerelease hardware is not review worthy. it's always different to the final product (better or worse). too many people have been bitten by pre-release reviews only to find the final product had certain features removed to cut costs.

loop29
06-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Look what I found:
http://www.newsware.ws/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=22

and it has an AGP-port!! 3D/CAD future looks bright.

regards

Sieb
06-20-2003, 06:49 PM
The island's product cycles are always 3-6 months ahead of the states.

Thalaxis
06-20-2003, 06:53 PM
It should make for a pretty sweet machine. I think Boxx has already announced plans to release a workstation using nForce3 and Opteron.

I'm hoping that some other motherboard vendors hop on board and start making some nForce3Pro boards for the enthusiast market, also.

Sieb
06-20-2003, 06:55 PM
I think most are going to wait for the Athlon64 which is geared towards workstation and end users. Opteron is targeted for servers since its expandable up to 32 way with more cache.

Thalaxis
06-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Athlon64 is also single-CPU only, and only has 1 memory channel.

The Opteron is more suited toward workstations (it's going up against Xeon DP), and in reality the Operon is only good for 4-way SMP without the addition of off-chip glue logic, and capable of (with not-so-good scaling) up to 8-way SMP without glue.

That's not to say that it CANNOT run in more than 4 or 8 CPU configs, only that it needs off-chip logic to do so.

MadMax
06-22-2003, 02:21 AM
as sieb has pointed out, the release won't be until august, so you're not going to find any hard evidence of how good/bad it is until it's released and people can get their hands on hardware to review.

Okay you guys are getting confused here.....

The nForce3 board for OPTERON's are due out before Siggraph.

Several vendors have the final boards for validation in their workstations.

Athlon64, which uses a completely different socket will be out in late August.

Thalaxis
06-22-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by MadMax
Okay you guys are getting confused here.....

The nForce3 board for OPTERON's are due out before Siggraph.

Speak for yourself.

nForce3 is the next-generation logic chipset for the Athlon family from nVidia.

Several OEMs (the first one I saw was Boxx) have announced impending availability of machines using the nForce3Pro, which is the nForce3 version targeted at Opterons.

nForce3 (aka Crush K8) is targeted at Athlon64, and as such will not be available until the Athlon64 is.

There will most likely be more than one variant of the nForce3 also, with integrated graphics, without it, and possibly also (again) on the sound side (one with DD encoding, one without).

MadMax
06-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Thalaxis
Speak for yourself.

Doesn't anyone bother answering the questions actually asked?

The question was the nForce3 and Opteron, not A64's and what may or may not be on them in the fall.

Thalaxis
06-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Doesn't anyone bother answering the questions actually asked?

The question was the nForce3 and Opteron, not A64's and what may or may not be on them in the fall.

I was just correcting your answer, that's all.

All I did was explain what the nForce3 is, and what it's for.

MadMax
06-22-2003, 06:08 PM
I was just correcting your answer, that's all.

All I did was explain what the nForce3 is, and what it's for.

To correct my answer, it would have had to have contained an error in the first place, which it did not.

elvis
06-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by loop29
Look what I found:
http://www.newsware.ws/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=22

and it has an AGP-port!! 3D/CAD future looks bright.

regards

again, that's mentioned on nvidia's website.

the current operton boards on the market are aimed squarley at the server end of things, and from what i see on the web nvidia are the only ones aiming for the desktop and/or workstation market at this point in time.

no doubt others will join in as well, but it's good to see a strong industry player like nvidia setting the bar for everyone else.

MadMax
06-23-2003, 01:49 AM
considering how strong a presence nVidia has made for itself with the nForce2, it doesn't really matter if VIA or SiS or ALI makes boards or not.

elvis
06-23-2003, 03:52 AM
considering how strong a presence nVidia has made for itself with the nForce2, it doesn't really matter if VIA or SiS or ALI makes boards or not.

wild statement ahoy!

if via, sis and ali weren't making money, they wouldn't be in the market. be careful when making wild statements like that, my friend. remember that you as a power user represent 2% of the market. there are still the other 98% moron users with their word processing, web brosing, photo downloading, children emailing all-in-one shitty cheap motherboards that make up the bulk of the cash flow.

MadMax
06-23-2003, 05:30 AM
wild statement ahoy!

Not really.

Over at one forum, AMDZone, since the nForce2 boards came out the VIA forums are all but dead. I popped in there recently and there were threads like "Hello? anyone here?", cricket chirps and so on.

Their other non nVidia forums were about the same. Where there was once a lot of chatter there is virtually no posts at all.

nForcersHQ has gotten huge, their forums have gotten gigantic in the last few months, covering every aspect of nForce chipsets.

Regardless of me being a power user, nForce boards cover the range from 50.00 to 200.00 with something available for just about any need, professional or gamer.

Directron recently had a sale on the Shuttle mATX nForce2 board for 53.00 and change. I bought 10 of them.

ATI flopped in Athlon chipsets completely, And I don't really see much evidence in any of the forums that they represent much of a "presence" in the market anymore. Most have lost thier markshare to nVidia products.

As most of us here are modelers, animators or into graphics, it doesn't make much difference if we give a nod to the moderate and low end anyway does it?

Anyone asking about nForce 3 and Opterons are not likely to be interested in whether companies like ALI or SiS are going to provide a lower end option anyway.

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 05:35 AM
Not to mention the rather large number of budget rigs, which the
variants of nForce chipsets which include integrated graphics are
for. Those versions are not at all targeted at power users, they're
just suitable for power users because the integrated graphics
engine can be bypassed -- unless the motherboard maker does
not implement an external AGP port, as would be the case in a
budget rig.

Obviously however, the variants that do not have integrated
graphics at all are intended for higher echelons of the market.

I'm glad to see nVidia doing the Opteron thing with nForce3,
though. Since AMD is studiously avoiding getting into the chipset
business, they need good chipsets to ride on, and the nForce3Pro
is, to the best of my knowledge, the first publicly disclosed
chipset designed for the Opteron that is intended for workstation
applications instead of server applications.

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 05:42 AM

ATI flopped in Athlon chipsets completely, And I don't really see much evidence in any of the forums that they represent much of a "presence" in the market anymore. Most have lost thier markshare to nVidia products.

I don't think ATI has a license for the EV6 system bus, in the
same way that nVidia does not have a license for the P4's system
bus.

Even if they did, the ATI chipsets are definitely lower-end than
the non-budget versions of the nForce series are.

As most of us here are modelers, animators or into graphics, it doesn't make much difference if we give a nod to the moderate and low end anyway does it?

Well, maybe for rendering-only machines.

Anyone asking about nForce 3 and Opterons are not likely to be interested in whether companies like ALI or SiS are going to provide a lower end option anyway.

True... lower-end solutions for Opteron wouldn't make any sense,
they'd be Athlon64 solutions instead.

BTW, do you know whether ALi or SiS have plans for Opteron
chipsets to compete with nForce3Pro? I've seen specs and such
for ALi, SiS (and Via) chipsets aimed at nForce, but not at
nForce3Pro.

elvis
06-23-2003, 05:51 AM
Not really.

yes, really. every point you make above is again showing your bias towards a power user. the online forums you refer to are typically enhabited by the somewhat more technically savvy. mr joe corporate won't be spending his evenings on some tech board chatting to 14 year old tossers. he'll be using his shitty SiS board and mid-range P4 desktop to check his stock options, and then go to bed and bang his trophy wife. these guys make the big bucks and spend them, not the children on some nforce2 message board.

be aware that you don't even come close to the average desktop user. you should greatful you don't in all reality - these people make up 90% or more of my client base, and i can tell you now they couldn't give a shit about what their systems run, as long as they do run and at the cheapest possible price.

i wish people like the average user on these boards were the norm - i know my job would be a heck of a lot more fun!

MadMax
06-23-2003, 05:59 AM

BTW, do you know whether ALi or SiS have plans for Opteron chipsets to compete with nForce3Pro? I've seen specs and such for ALi, SiS (and Via) chipsets aimed at nForce, but not at nForce3Pro.

Can't say I have seen mention of any. I know there was a bunch of stuff shown from a variety of vendors for A64. Pretty sure I saw SiS and ALI in there, but I wouldn't swear to it.

As Elvis pointed out, I only look at the extreme power user stuff for the most part anyway.

MadMax
06-23-2003, 06:12 AM
yes, really. every point you make above is again showing your bias towards a power user.

I don't see where you get that. Sure I advocate power user type systems, but the places I frequent, like here, are about power users or want ot be power users.

And just because I am a strong advocate of nForce2 boards, doesn't mean that is solely directed at power users.

For example, the Shuttle MN31N nForce2 board. Very low end user stuff, designed for joe gamer or home user. Integrated graphics and nVidia Soundstorm, 3 PCI slots, Directron had them for 53.00, not a power user board by any means unless having lots of features and a great price consititue power user in your vocabulary.

This particular board can be slapped in a decent case, and you have instant system for Joe six pack. Dirt cheap, good relaibly quality, and reasonably powerful.

I bought 10, put them in 2U rackmount cases, 1gb ram each and each has an XP2800, redhat Linux 9.0 on each, instant high speed render farm for the cost of a BoXX workstation.

the online forums you refer to are typically enhabited by the somewhat more technically savvy. mr joe corporate won't be spending his evenings on some tech board chatting to 14 year old tossers.

Actually at least at the forums I frequent, there are a lot of professionals there. Audio pros, a few video editors etc. But it is a decent barometer of what the fan boys are buying. Regardless of what the "big buck" guys do in their spare time that you mentioned, all of the chipset makers have taken a very big hit because of nVidia. Doesn't matter if you are a power user or not. nVidia boxes are all over the place and in plain site at retail stores.

be aware that you don't even come close to the average desktop user. you should greatful you don't in all reality

Aw man, I thought that I was just absolute joe average in that respect. Doesn't everyone build their own stuff and have multiple tweak systems to play with?

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Can't say I have seen mention of any. I know there was a bunch of stuff shown from a variety of vendors for A64. Pretty sure I saw SiS and ALI in there, but I wouldn't swear to it.

As Elvis pointed out, I only look at the extreme power user stuff for the most part anyway.

Since I've been frequenting gaming and 3D art sites (most of the
latter are populated by non-technies more than technies), I was
kind of hoping that you might have encountered something I had
missed by way of core logic chipsets for Opteron that would make
for worthwhile workstations.

It's not that I'm not happy to see nVidia going that route, it's just
that I'm hoping that they won't be alone in doing so.

I am certain about SiS, Via, and ALi chipset development for
Athlon 64, other than that one or more might have given up due
to the delays (which I have not heard), but the Athlon64 isn't
quite as interesting to me as the Opteron, mainly because of the
single memory channel.

The roadmaps indicate that it's supposed to get a dual memory
channel when it reaches the 90 nm node, though.

MadMax
06-23-2003, 04:36 PM
It's not that I'm not happy to see nVidia going that route, it's just
that I'm hoping that they won't be alone in doing so.

I am certain about SiS, Via, and ALi chipset development for
Athlon 64, other than that one or more might have given up due
to the delays (which I have not heard), but the Athlon64 isn't
quite as interesting to me as the Opteron, mainly because of the
single memory channel.

The roadmaps indicate that it's supposed to get a dual memory
channel when it reaches the 90 nm node, though.

SiS and ALI may hold up on their A64 chipsets because of the change in dual chanel. Turns out that adding dual channel to A64 is going to require a socket change. Since some of these guys can't afford to just change sockets on a whim, some of the small guys may hold back I suspect.

Further I suspect that once nVidia's nForce3 is proven to be a good seller, others are likely to follow. The downside for the competition is that nVidia will be so market entrenched at that point that they'll almost own the Opteron market.

Even more so since the rumor about dual nForce3 isn't a rumor.

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 04:52 PM
SiS and ALI may hold up on their A64 chipsets because of the change in dual chanel. Turns out that adding dual channel to A64 is going to require a socket change. Since some of these guys can't afford to just change sockets on a whim, some of the small guys may hold back I suspect.

Further I suspect that once nVidia's nForce3 is proven to be a good seller, others are likely to follow. The downside for the competition is that nVidia will be so market entrenched at that point that they'll almost own the Opteron market.

Even more so since the rumor about dual nForce3 isn't a rumor.

The A64 is still going to launch with one channel, and it won't move up to two until the move to 90 nm, which I don't think will happen all THAT quickly, even though I imagine AMD will push it as hard as possible, so as to allow for a high enough clock speeds to catch back up to and possibly overtake Intel, if they can hit it quickly enough.

Then again, other than nVidia, there doesn't seem to be any interest in going after the workstation market for Opteron from the chipset makers.

A dual 2 GHz Opteron with an nForce3Pro mobo + an R400 graphics card ought to turn in some impressive Quake and Unreal frame rates ;)

MadMax
06-23-2003, 05:05 PM
according to a number of board makers, nVidia is as much as 50% of the Athlon chipset market by themselves now.

MSI shipped 50% nVidia products, Asus was 40% of their Athlon shipments. That's pretty strong considering how "new" nVidia is to the market.

This doesn't surprise me really as nVidia and AMD have been pretty tight this past year os so, and the indications were that nVidia was AMD's preferred partner.

People have in the past been critical of AMD for not making thier own chipsets, as they were better than the competing chipsets on the market, but AMD never fully supported their own efforts in this respect. Based on the current relationship between AMD and nVidia, I'd say that they have become the "almost official" AMD chipset.

If others see nVidia doing well in the workstation market, I think it's a safe bet they'll follow suit. Gigabyte is releasing a dual Opteron workstation board with 8x AGP, so iI'm sure others won't be far behind.

For me at least, nVidia has more than proven themselves and provided a wealth of features. The only thing I could hope for would be for them to include dual channels Ultra320 SCSI controllers to their boards.

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 05:48 PM
according to a number of board makers, nVidia is as much as 50% of the Athlon chipset market by themselves now.

That's even better than I thought, actually.

Based on the current relationship between AMD and nVidia, I'd say that they have become the "almost official" AMD chipset.

Making chipsets, especially in light of how feature-rich they need
to be, and how sophisticated the memory controllers need to be,
isn't an easy business. It takes a lot of R&D, and it also consumes
fab capacity -- which is something that AMD can't afford, and
paying a fab partner to take care of that cost money that AMD
would probably prefer not to spend, given their financial situation.

While I would have preferred it if AMD had kept it up, at least they
have a few good reasons not to... and at least they have a few
partners who are doing a decent job of it, and one (nVidia) that's
bringing them at worst close to Intel's best (depending on where
you are in the leapfrog cycle, so far).

If others see nVidia doing well in the workstation market, I think it's a safe bet they'll follow suit. Gigabyte is releasing a dual Opteron workstation board with 8x AGP, so iI'm sure others won't be far behind.

I figured they'd be available, but it seems like they will be available sooner than I expected.

For me at least, nVidia has more than proven themselves and provided a wealth of features. The only thing I could hope for would be for them to include dual channels Ultra320 SCSI controllers to their boards.

I'm hoping for SATA, myself, but a high-end SCSI option isn't something to complain about, either :)

MadMax
06-23-2003, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping for SATA, myself, but a high-end SCSI option isn't something to complain about, either :)

nVidia has already announced future revisions to include their own SATA controller in the chipset.

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 06:27 PM
nVidia has already announced future revisions to include their own SATA controller in the chipset.

Glad to hear it.

Thanks!

loop29
06-23-2003, 09:41 PM
I remember it was not too long ago and the forums of VIAArena were pretty crowded because of their very sucessfull KT266A chipset which had strong sales too, but you know it can change so fast, especially this is the fastest market at all. Sure itīs good to have nvidia on the Opteron route, but like you guys mentioned, competition is good for us...

have a nice day

Thalaxis
06-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Quite true... which is what motivated Via to ship the KT-600. :)

SiS and ALi have some good stuff waiting in the wings, also.

And as if that weren't enough, Intel's decided that they are going
to get on the surround sound bandwagon... but apparently not
until they release the Tejas. :/

Sieb
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Food for thought..

http://www.aceshardware.com/forum?read=95039864

SMP Nforce3.. um.. yummy!:beer:

Thalaxis
06-25-2003, 01:04 AM
I am VERY glad to hear that. Right now, the only thing keeping
the Opteron from being a great workstation processor is the
lack of a workstation-oriented platform.

And let's face it, you really can't ask for a better workstation
platform than one using an nForce.

Well, that's not true -- better would be an nForce implementation
with support for dual processors, and one would assume that
the nForce family will continue to improve with each iteration :)

Sieb
06-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Thats what my link was about.. dual proc nforce3....

Thalaxis
06-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Sieb
Thats what my link was about.. dual proc nforce3....

I know -- I was just rather excited about it :)

Thanks for that link, by the way.

t-man152
06-29-2003, 09:19 PM
hey I have a question. I never had a dual cpu setup but im thinking of getting one. Is the Nforce 3 going to be dual cpu? Can you run to cpus at different clock speeds? and this might seem stupid but is it possible to run 1 cpu on a dual proc board? thats it thanks

again I know nothing about dual proc setups

Thalaxis
06-29-2003, 10:34 PM
As far as I know, whether or not nForce3Pro is dual processor
will depend on the motherboard makers. I think it supports dual
processor operation.

Yes, it should be possible to use a dual-processor system with
only one processor, and add one later. With Opteron, you'll have
to add memory at the same time that you add a second CPU; that
is the (minor) downside that goes with the NUMA feature: each
processor needs to have local memory.

NUMA = Non-Uniform Memory Access. It just means that some
memory takes longer to access than others. If one processor
needs data that is in the memory "owned" by the 2nd, than it
will take a bit longer to get it than it would if that data were
local.

t-man152
06-30-2003, 12:26 PM
thanks thats great. now I know I dont have to buy both procs at once this is a major selling argument cause I have little money and I am not very patient. if this was not the case I would probavly have gotten a single proc mobo instead of saving up money to buy a mobo and 2 procs.

Thalaxis
06-30-2003, 01:06 PM
Well, the first Opteron workstations are supposed to be going on
sale this week, so hopefully there will be more information about
them available fairly soon, like how well they perform, and how
much we can expect them to cost.

Right now, Opterons are as expensive as Xeons. With a bit of
luck, we might even see some nForce3 implementations (not
just nForce3Pro) that support dual processors. :thumbsup:

t-man152
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Well when Nforce came out I got it.I used it in the first computer that I built. what realy went for me was the intergrated GeForce 2. Then I got an Nforce 2 board. wich I liked because I just had to transfer what I had(cpu,Ram, HD,etc.) there again what I liked was the intergrated graphics card. I love line Nforce line they are extremely stable chips. but the Nforce 3pro doesnt seem to have an integrated graphics card. is this true? and if so why have they decided to do this? I think its because professionals have their own video cards.

Thalaxis
06-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Yes, it is a decision based on the target market.

nVidia made several version of nForce and nForce2, the ones
aimed at budget rigs had integrated graphics, the ones aimed at
enthusiasts and upscale rigs did not.

nForce3Pro will never be aimed at budget rigs, so it will not have
integrated graphics. :)

The nForce3 version with integrated graphics will, I think, include
GeForceFX (e.g. DirectX9) features. I'm not 100% sure of that, it
might end up being a DirectX8 graphics chip, but I don't think that
is the case.

In any case, the Athlon64 will likely not be much slower at a given
clock speed than an Opteron, but will almost certainly cost less at
the same clock speed. It just won't have as elegant support for
SMP as Opteron, which is what AMD is using to fit Hammers into
different market segments.

parallax
06-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Dudes,

An Asus board is due this month already:

http://www.digitalproducer.com/2003/06_jun/news/06_30/nvidia0629.htm

MadMax
06-30-2003, 06:23 PM
That is the board that started this thread.

Also, AmD announced the 100 series of Opteron's this morning, intended for single CPU workstations.

A reasonably lower price than the 200 series.

Thalaxis
06-30-2003, 07:14 PM
I also noticed that the Opteron 2xx series has a lowest price (1.4
GHz) of a bit less than $300.

MadMax
06-30-2003, 07:55 PM
it's been under 300.00 for awhile now.

Thalaxis
06-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Things you don't find out until you look... :)

Matt
06-30-2003, 10:57 PM
http://www.hardwaremania.com/reviews_eng/asussk8n/sk8n-1.shtml

nFORCE 3 REVIEW.

t-man152
06-30-2003, 11:09 PM
is the Operton socket A? cause I heard that you could put athlon xp or Mp I forgot wich (maybe both) in the nforce 3pro mobo

MadMax
07-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by t-man152
is the Operton socket A? cause I heard that you could put athlon xp or Mp I forgot wich (maybe both) in the nforce 3pro mobo

You heard wrong.

MadMax
07-01-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Matt
http://www.hardwaremania.com/reviews_eng/asussk8n/sk8n-1.shtml

nFORCE 3 REVIEW.

Don't waste your time with this one, it's complete BS.

First off the so called Barton 2800+ they mention in the review is said to be a 1.4ghz part, it's not. A 2800+ is 2ghz+

Add to that, he mentions reasons for differences in benchmarks like SSE2, when the benchmark used has nothing to do with SSE2.

Asus told people to not release benchmarks until the v. 1.03 boards were released, they used an older prototype.

Nothing to see here at all...........

Thalaxis
07-01-2003, 12:30 AM
D'oh... oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

The dual Opteron BOXX rig looks pretty nice, not to mention well-
priced.

parallax
07-01-2003, 08:22 AM
That is the board that started this thread.
Also, AmD announced the 100 series of Opteron's this morning, intended for single CPU workstations.
A reasonably lower price than the 200 series.

My bad.

I didn't see asus being mentioned even once though..

MadMax
07-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by parallax
My bad.

I didn't see asus being mentioned even once though..

Asus is the only vendor with an nForce3 board. No others have been announced yet.

So when we talk about nForce3, it's kind of automatically understood, at least for now.

Thalaxis
07-01-2003, 04:08 PM
And as far as I know, Asus also made the nForce3Pro reference
boards, which gives them a bit of a leg up on the others.

I doubt that it will be long before others start showing up.

I wonder how long it will take for Shuttle to jump on board? ;)

parallax
07-01-2003, 04:25 PM
I see your point, but how can a thread that was started on 6-18-2003 be about a board that was just announced.:p

Sieb
07-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Dual Opteron with AGP.. for the skeptics out there..

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030628/etc_hdamb.html

MadMax
07-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by parallax
I see your point, but how can a thread that was started on 6-18-2003 be about a board that was just announced.:p

Asus has shown the board off in public for a couple of months now.

Their recent "announcement" of it is just what every vendor does. It's really not official until they make a big deal out of saying it's official.

MadMax
07-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Dual Opteron with AGP.. for the skeptics out there..

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20030628/etc_hdamb.html

VERY old news.

Links to several Dual Opteron boards with AGP were at xbit awhile back.

This one is the board that BoXX is shipping with their dual Opteron workstation.

Monarch has that board in stock for sale now, for 499.00

Sieb
07-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I figured as much, I stopped following the opteron rollout for a bit. Some still don't know..

If you check my previous post with a link, it show the Asus nforce3 board as retail. Granted its only avaliable on the island as usual.. So its not like its vapor or just a demo board. Just not "here" yet.

MadMax
07-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Granted its only avaliable on the island as usual.. So its not like its vapor or just a demo board. Just not "here" yet.

That's okay, Asus is supposedly releasing it here this week, or early next.

Gentle Fury
07-02-2003, 05:09 PM
holy crap, i havent looked at this thread in like a week or so, and it kinda blew up......lol

and the second post said this was a useless thread as all the info is on the site..........

keep discussing :)

MadMax
07-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Gentle Fury
holy crap, i havent looked at this thread in like a week or so, and it kinda blew up......lol

and the second post said this was a useless thread as all the info is on the site..........

keep discussing :)

Then you'll be happy to know you can find out all the goodies and memory bandwidth scores of the nForce 3 on Monday morning, July 7th. (that is monday right?) when the NDA expires.

Boards are going to sell around the 220.00 mark or there abouts.

Opterons are under 300.00

Oh yeah, it looks like 2ghz Opterons might be announced at the same time, although they'll be pretty expensive.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.