PDA

View Full Version : Mesh with Separate Parts

bobzilla
06-18-2003, 04:44 PM
How does MB handle separate parts for a model? For example, how would I export my model (which uses Sub-ds) and has separate teeth, tongue and eyes?

Thanks...

policarpo
06-18-2003, 11:12 PM
stick it all in 1 file and use morphs to animate your facial features.

that should work.

CurtisG
06-26-2003, 02:32 AM
Hi Bobzilla,

Motionbuilder currently does not support Sub Divisional Surfaces. What you can do in this case is rebuild the surface as a NURBS or Poly surface.

As far as handling the seperate parts of your face, Motionbuilder's facial tools can deal with multiple models, using blend shapes or clusters.

Cheers,

bobzilla
06-26-2003, 01:29 PM
CurtisG: Thanks for the replies! The model I have has separate eyes, tongue and teeth. Can MB deal with that? Do they need to be rigged separately? I understand MB can do facial animation and lipsyncing, but this is strictly just movement, not morphing or amything.

Thanks...

LFGabel
06-26-2003, 11:46 PM
I've rigged eyes as separate objects in motionbuilder, and the way I did it isparenting them to a bone in the head and using IK constraints to make them "lookat" something. You should be able to do th e same with other body parts.

Have you tried just exporting the sub-d model to MB? It won't be sub-d, but it should be polys, and definately animatable.

bobzilla
06-27-2003, 01:49 PM
I'm using Cinema 4D and right now there's no FBX support...soon, I'm told. I'm just trying to get a feel for the workflow. I have a dino, sub-d, boned, mapped, textured, and rigged. I just ant to see how much I'd have to change (or anything) to get it in and out of MB.

pit
06-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi Bob -
VTM #3 from 3DBuzz should answer all your questions.

Cheers

bobzilla
06-27-2003, 05:55 PM
I thought #3 was Constraints? Well, I just ordered them all on CD. Not sure when I'll get them, though.

Thanks for the info...

CurtisG
06-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi bobzilla,

Motionbuilder can handle these seperate objects no problem. You can use a variety of ways to manipulate these objects, including constraints, relations and groups. If you run into any issues, shoot me a message and I'll walk you thru it.

Cheers,

bobzilla
06-28-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks, CurtisG. As soon as Maxon finishes the FBX plugin, I'll probably have some questions. I've learned how to do what I need in Cinema, now I'll have to learn how to do it in MB.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.