PDA

View Full Version : Fry Swap

pluMmet
12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Fry Render has released a companion package called Fry Swap:

"fryrender SWAP (http://randomcontrol.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=88) is a revolutionary product based on our proprietary physically-based render technology. Sharing a base concept similar to fryrender's Layer-Blending: "render once and get as many images as you need", SWAP enables you to change materials in your scene while keeping the photorealistic quality of your original image, in real-time."

Video 1 (http://randomcontrol.com/downloads/showreels/swap_archviz_demo.mov) Video 2 (http://randomcontrol.com/downloads/showreels/swap_design_demo.mov) Video 3 (http://randomcontrol.com/downloads/showreels/swap_productviz_demo.mov)

Fry is an unbiased spectral renderer that is compatible with most animation software.

RoyalT
12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
That is pretty damn impressive.

- Terje

visionmaster2
12-02-2008, 10:15 AM
this is really cool !
could it work ( in the futur ) with an animation ?

lo
12-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I've noticed that in all three of the demos only one material is changed. Is this a limitation or would it be possible for instance to change every single material of the interior in the demo?

liltbrockie
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I've noticed that in all three of the demos only one material is changed. Is this a limitation or would it be possible for instance to change every single material of the interior in the demo?

good question

Andy1010
12-02-2008, 03:27 PM
That seems pretty darn useful. Its kinda like multipass, but gives you much more options. It looks like being able to set up a pretty sweet beauty pass before the final render. Hats off, to you guys.

BColbourn
12-02-2008, 04:13 PM
pardon my french, but that is f***ing cool.

lllab
12-02-2008, 04:13 PM
it is very nice i have it and an be very usefull indeed.
it works like this:

first you render the image as nornal,
then you have first to render 3 passes for each object that you want later to be change able in material. so if you want to change the floor you first render the image, then you render 3 passes (white, black, mirror) for the floor object. after that you can change the floor materials by drag and drop.

quiet amazing is that is seems to work with diffuse and glossy, semiglossy materials and you even can change the uv size parameters in post.

it is some work to setup abit to render 3 passes for each object, specially if you want to have more materials changeable. i hope in future thsi could be more automatic.

cheers
stefan

MrHooper
12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Fryrender is very impressive. I demoed it a week or so ago, and was pleased with general setup. However there are a couple of things I would like before I purchase. (maya user btw)

1. material converters for MR shaders... at least the mia and mia_x. None of my scenes use blinn/phong any more. All are physically accurate mr shaders, so this limitation is a bit of a problem. We tend to use mia_x for a LOT.
2. lighting tweaks similar to maxwell's

All in all, I like the interface, and responsiveness/speed more than maxwell. I am very interested in the product, so I'm keeping an eye on it. Has anyone made their own MR material converters?

Andrew

TJFrame
12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
2. lighting tweaks similar to maxwell's

What are you referring to specifically? I'm thinking Fry actually has better lighting controls since not only can you dial in the output of each light on the fly (as with Maxwell) but in Fry you can also change the temperature/color of each light source on the fly as well.

From what I've seen, Maxwell's strengths over Fry include better Max material previews, faster warmup/cancel times, much larger user base and materials database, and object based motion blur.

Fry has better tone/lighting controls and micropoly displacement and a nice enviromental lighting conditions widget. Fry also has a toon renderer that works decently well.

Larry_g1s
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Way Cool feature! Very interesting.

ray
12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
The pdf in the documentation section on the site often quotes "the object". I would assume this means that "the" object may only have one material, but may be split into sub objects (like that helmet and the body of the little robot)

Still freaking cool.

rendermaniac
12-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I like how the indirect lighting changes when the material changes - eg on the roof and the back of the foreground chair in the first example.

I would love to see them do this with fur.

Simon

Jozvex
12-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Pretty cool! It must just take an average colour of the texture for the indirect illumination? 'Cause when they slide that big checkerboard texture around nothing really changes despite the big black squares.

jason-slab
12-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I like how the indirect lighting changes when the material changes - eg on the roof and the back of the foreground chair in the first example.

I would love to see them do this with fur.

Simon

yes very cool indeed, I'd actually love to see this kind of thing on animated scenes....

jason

CHRiTTeR
12-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Pretty cool! It must just take an average colour of the texture for the indirect illumination? 'Cause when they slide that big checkerboard texture around nothing really changes despite the big black squares.

I noticed that too.
Also, i dont think it will work with caustics, but still handy thing to have though.

Fryrender looks really great and seems to kick maxwell's ass bigtime

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2008, 01:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.