PDA

View Full Version : tutorial exercise 3: Desert abode.

ninjacore
06-18-2003, 02:52 PM
hi. i just found this today on 3dtotal.com -

http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/defreitas/defreitas_1.asp

a fine tutorial, however, i'm finding it rather hard to get past the initial modelling stage. i've re-read each part on the modelling of the first wall. doing the spline, and bevel is fine. but when applying the noise modifier, the mesh turns really ugly around the edges of the wall, in any setting, unlike what we see in the authors example pics. i've also tried moving the modifiers gizmo around, but it makes no diffrence.

i've attached a qiuck example of whats happning here. hopefully someone can tell me whats going on, because otherwise, i wont get any sleep tonight.

This is also a good tutorial for any beginners wanting to try texturing and lighting skills.:cool:

Aljoker
06-18-2003, 03:44 PM
good one ,,,

thanks ninjacore, i am realy get boring of doing mechanical things on max, so i'll try to build up my deseret and my house thair. ;)

Xilica
06-18-2003, 05:50 PM
sweet !!!!!

i'm definitely gonna jump into this one

i think i might need some help, heh :buttrock:

anyway, sounds good to me

btw man, not to be an annoyance but make your tutorial exercise capitalized please so it fits the scheme of the other ones

if you know what i mean :beer: :beer:

lol

edit: what about the textures, are we going to have to buy the total textures cd ?? or..?

ninjacore
06-18-2003, 06:13 PM
ok. heres what i have. i've been playing around endlessy with the noise modifiers settings to find the best setting. it cant happen. no matter what, there will be poly buldges, becuase were trying to apply noise to what is basically one big ass polygon.

the first pic i'll show is with the noise modifier....

ninjacore
06-18-2003, 06:16 PM
and here it is with a displace modifier.

the stairs have a noise modifier on them, and it seems to look ok.

Textures. i recommend buying the total texture cd's. but if u cant, i can give u the ones i'm using, plus there are plenty to find on the net that would do the job.

ninjacore
06-18-2003, 11:06 PM
ok, heres a quick update. i decide to throw in a few more things to test it. i'm still unhappy becuase i cant get the noise modeifier to do the same as in the tutorial.

its still very much a wip stage for now..

EDIT:
i'm lighting this with a skylight and a directional light.
i'm trying the tutorials way with just a directinal light and 2 omnis, but the results are far from satisfying.

(maybe someone should make a sunlight tutorial thread)

Aljoker
06-19-2003, 12:26 AM
ok ,,, let me try it ninjascore.

;)

Aljoker
06-19-2003, 01:05 AM
hey ninja, could you give me the textures that you used in your work, becouse i dont have the CD's and i want to try it.

ninjacore
06-20-2003, 01:23 PM
ok, the ones for the walls can be found at www.binarybonsai.com in the gallery section.

the ground is from my cd's but its not that great. theres probably better ones on the internet. i'm gonna have a hunt around. the sky is from my cd's too, but u can use one of max's default skys, or even better go to http://www.1000skies.com/fullpanos/index.htm where there is a really good selection.

hope that helps

Aljoker
06-20-2003, 10:07 PM
thanks
that's helped alot ninjacore.

i'll post my work after i finished my CCNA exame. wish me luck.

:)

Madail
06-26-2003, 03:51 PM
Nice to see ppl talking about my tutorial :)

Ninja, have you read my email about the problems?

ninjacore
06-26-2003, 07:58 PM
wow, hello. speaking to the actual author is kinda cool. no, i havnt read your email, but i would like too.

i havnt done much else with this work lately. i started modelling a skateboard u see!

Aljoker
07-03-2003, 04:31 PM
waaaaaaaw,, thats real cool as ninjacore said ..

Migmax3D, where has you been in middel east. ?

I am form UAE.

Madail
07-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks!

Al, im not from the middle east, i just made it thinking about it :)

Im actualy from Portugal. As you see, far away :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.