PDA

View Full Version : New User license agreement on 7.01

barbapapa
12-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi folks, im in the middle of the project so i haven upgraded yet to 7.01 . i havent red the new agreement my self, but the word is in the air that certain things have changed on the agreement specially concerning the location where you can use the license. If this is true this is a total bummer and is way more important than the name of the software changing or a cube to tumble on the viewport. There is a lot of people that chose softimage because it could be moved around without much problem. Specially for freelancers moving from country to country. How is this going to work out ?? What do you guys think and what is the solution if there is anyone?.

SeaJackal
12-01-2008, 10:24 AM
wow,

so, as long as we don't upgrade we ar safe I guess, what a disapointment.

I felt so good when I saw how quick they released a bug fix. Now I feel they only did it to put the rope arround our necks

ThE_JacO
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
7.01 and the next .x release were in the making well before the acquisition.
Now that Softimage has been acquired it's only normal that the legal side of things goes in AD's court with AD practices. Would you seriously expect an estabilished legal department to take and in two weeks pick up alien contracts and approve them for release?

As for the "other countries" clause it's something people seem to be taking completely the wrong way.
A large part of it, afaik, is in place to prevent cross-country purchases, so that regional and local markets can be milked and squeezed at the corp's wish without something happening like American resellers selling to Europe when the US$ is weak and viceversa. That's something Avid did too.
It doesn't mean that because you originally bought in Texas you can't fly to Malasya and work there with your pre-existing license that you keep maintaining from your previous reseller, no matter who and how they interpret or mis-interpret it.

I've used both Avid and AD products that I own licenses for all over the place in three different continents and never had issues, even if I registered changes of address for my accounts.

Far from me wanting to defend AD, I have no sympathy for them as a company, but if you're so concerned about your consumer rights just have a local lawyer or a remote office examine the EULA and its validity and be done with it. If you're so afraid AD would sue you for working in a foreign airport with your laptop give them a call and ask. To my knowledge they're out to try and sell you stuff, not to screw you in court.

The only thing that might (and most likely will) go is Softimage's historical leniency with transfering licenses and closing an eye on the arbitrary fees and make them irrelevant or forget them completely, that's unlikely to stay and it's a shame, but that's a different thing.

12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
This policy of permitting only in the country you bought software is turn me down, and made me decided to sell XSI when Autodesk still did not implement their full license agreement, NO RESELL.

I am a freelance that require me to move from one place to the others due to the work. It is not the case that I live in US and fly to Malaysia to work there work weeks or months, but it is usually years, 3-5 years depending on the contact. The world is flat now, and Autodesk should be that flexible too, IMO. Yes to prevent people buying software from the other country can be done easily through management, such as reseller, registration code in software itself. Autodesk policy is "using the legal software in the other country you bought = illegal use or using pirate software".

It just likes picking the phone service. You need to one that suits to your purpose.

tarkovsky
12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Just a note:

http://www.usedsoft.com/en/company/legal-position.html

Seems buying and using 2. hand software licenses is legal within the EU, if you can prove the original purchase (EULA or not).

tark

CiaranM
12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Just a note:

http://www.usedsoft.com/en/company/legal-position.html

Seems buying and using 2. hand software licenses is legal within the EU, if you can prove the original purchase (EULA or not).

tark

Maybe so, but can anyone cite an occasion when AD assisted or allowed the transfer of a license?

ThE_JacO
12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Maybe so, but can anyone cite an occasion when AD assisted or allowed the transfer of a license?

Now, while I think the cross-country license paranoia is a bit (but not totally) unjustified, I have to say that when it comes to transfering licenses between users AD seems to have been unresponsive if not actively hindering.

Taking things to court can always unhinge an EULA, this is widely precedented, since most EULAs are entirely too aggressive to be valid in full all over the world, but court time over this kind of stuff or to save a few bucks on a 2nd hand purchase is hardly ever worth the time or the effort.

There is one case of a boxed ACAD set going over ebay that went to court and seems to be going in favor of the end-user, but it was a new, unused, copy in first place, and I'm not sure it's gone through all the rulings it could go through yet.

spacefrog
12-02-2008, 07:36 AM
there was some ADESK vs. court news at the beginning of this year,
but i heard nothing more about since....
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080523-court-smacks-autodesk-affirms-right-to-sell-used-software.html

DecWest
12-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Sorry to (slightly) change topic but is there any news on any increases in licensing costs?
Is Essentials/Advanced going to "compete" with Maya Complete/Unlimited (~3000/7000 mark) and are we going to see the same MR render node deals?

thorn3d
12-04-2008, 03:34 PM

I bought my license of 3DS Max used, and it was pre-approved in writing by Autodesk. AD also has allowed me to purchase upgrades.

thorn

CiaranM
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Great to hear!

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.