PDA

View Full Version : Faq

salmonmoose
12-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of February 10th 2009.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

What image file size is best?

Try to keep images under 2MB. Compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting - there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

kamcsat
12-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Dear GC society!

Is it allowed to work on a 2D image instead of 3D rendering?

Kamen Anev

JurajMolcak
12-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of March 10th 2008.

March or February? This will make a huge different for folks entered Steampunk... I guess it is just a paste from previous challenge. Thanks.

salmonmoose
12-10-2008, 01:50 AM
March or February? This will make a huge different for folks entered Steampunk... I guess it is just a paste from previous challenge. Thanks.

Heh - yep, it's a copy paste job - from a nvart that didn't end in march either :) Yes, it ends Feb 10th

salmonmoose
12-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Dear GC society!

Is it allowed to work on a 2D image instead of 3D rendering?

Kamen Anev

yes - 2D is fine

joana
12-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Does it need to look like it was made by Jacek Yerka himself? Not only in terms of color / materials but also the shapes / modeling?

Beautiful contest this one.

Thank you!

sonicstrawbery
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Does it need to look like it was made by Jacek Yerka himself? Not only in terms of color / materials but also the shapes / modeling?

Same.

Can we submit a work done in both 3D and 2D, i mean doing the big architectural stuff in 3D and then paint over to refine details or add textures to the image/doing a strong compositing work... How much are we free with the used medium ?

Can we add character(s)/animal(s) (detailed or not) to our scenery or is it environnement only ?

xeni
12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi my name is shkelzen kernaja i like to enter for the challenger i am 17 yers old in the 10/01/09 i am going to be 18 years old, do you think i can enter my image after 10 january.

thanks you.

Nomad
12-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Sae question as aboves... does it`s allowed to create his own style but use the techniques and colors of Jacek? I mean does I have to have the same architectural style of the buildings as he have? Or can I design techy skyscrapes as far as they meet the "ambient diffusion" look and colors?

M.

Staszek
12-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi my name is shkelzen kernaja i like to enter for the challenger i am 17 yers old in the 10/01/09 i am going to be 18 years old, do you think i can enter my image after 10 january.

thanks you.

Hi,

You can enter your image after birthsday and its ok isnt(you can spend more time to increase quality of your image) ? You dont have to show work in progress before.

Dreamdealer2099
12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey,first,thanks for such a great challenge!:applause:I would like to know though,where will the discussion be held off?I mean i don't see any threads in the NVArt - Surreal forum section except FAQ so far.:shrug:

Staszek
12-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi,

If you want to discuss about general stuff you can prbably on contest root site:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=705686&page=1&pp=15

or if you have questions, here at FAQ.

If you wnat to discuss about images you have to wait for eneterants :) or you can be first one and for sure discussions will start :)

mdlebson
12-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Similar question to some of the others...

Are these images supposed to be 3d/2d recreations of his paintings, or, compositions that we create which pay homage to things found in the art of Jacek, or, do we just use his art style and create something completely on our own that just emulates this actual painting style?

phoenix1
12-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Are these images supposed to be 3d/2d recreations of his paintings, or, compositions that we create which pay homage to things found in the art of Jacek, or, do we just use his art style and create something completely on our own that just emulates this actual painting style?

thanks to Staszek :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=705686&page=2&pp=15

Mucus
12-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Hello all!

Well I got questions which are not technical at all, so I hope it's alright to post it here:

1. Why did you choose to make a "final entry only" contest instead of a work in progress area?
2. Is that possible for people who wish to share their work and are looking for advices to create a work in progress thread?
3. Finally, I'm really surprised that Yacek Yerka is not part of the judges, but will him have a word to say on winners?

So this is not question about creation, but rather for my curiosity (hope it's ok...)
By the way, big thank to you for organize a so original contest!

CoryCosper
12-13-2008, 11:21 PM
can the resolution be 1600 x 2650? portrait style?

smiljan66
12-14-2008, 09:50 PM
1.in the final image we have to say how we do the image if is 3d or 2d composition and the sofware too like n3d max?
2. the instructions of the style paint color that we have to achieve , what happends if someone put shadows or dont get the same inmk and paint style that would be desqualified or will have les spoint with judges?
3. why there are permited 2d and 3d images? i tough this was a 3d challenge
4. how many images can i put in the contest? i would like to post 3 images can i?
5. using ambient oclusion drops a shadow that is permited?
6. last thing can i usea a standar material and a texture in mi difusse and ambient oclussion in my selfillumination?

salmonmoose
12-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Hello all!

Well I got questions which are not technical at all, so I hope it's alright to post it here:

1. Why did you choose to make a "final entry only" contest instead of a work in progress area?
2. Is that possible for people who wish to share their work and are looking for advices to create a work in progress thread?
3. Finally, I'm really surprised that Yacek Yerka is not part of the judges, but will him have a word to say on winners?

So this is not question about creation, but rather for my curiosity (hope it's ok...)
By the way, big thank to you for organize a so original contest!

1 - We have a work in progress challenge - the NVArt challenges are designed to appeal to a different set of people than the CGChallenges.

2 - Yes, you can use the WIP section of the site - however you'll need to host the images yourself.

salmonmoose
12-15-2008, 04:42 AM
can the resolution be 1600 x 2650? portrait style?

No.

Only the specified resolution may be uploaded, if you wish to use a portrait aspect, you'll need to use black-bars. The size was chosen as it's the resolution of 30" monitors.

salmonmoose
12-15-2008, 04:46 AM
1.in the final image we have to say how we do the image if is 3d or 2d composition and the sofware too like n3d max?
2. the instructions of the style paint color that we have to achieve , what happends if someone put shadows or dont get the same inmk and paint style that would be desqualified or will have les spoint with judges?
3. why there are permited 2d and 3d images? i tough this was a 3d challenge
4. how many images can i put in the contest? i would like to post 3 images can i?
5. using ambient oclusion drops a shadow that is permited?
6. last thing can i usea a standar material and a texture in mi difusse and ambient oclussion in my selfillumination?

1 - How you made an image is not part of the requirements, although if we doubt the process is digital we may ask you.

2 - If people don't match the look and feel we're after, then they're not going to do as well.

3 - We don't like to discriminate - so long as the image is digitally created, it's eligible.

4 - as many as you like we'd prefer you put a lot of effort into one image, than a small amount into several images.

5 - yes

6 - yes

salmonmoose
12-15-2008, 04:47 AM

We do not want recreations of Jacek's work, what we're looking for is work that has similar colors and shapes.

Mucus
12-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I just have a question before going on my composition...hard to tell...in fact I'm asking myself, where is the line between reproduction and personal work?

I mean, there is recurrent themes, forms (the waves, the locomotive, the shell, some houses styles, some building styles), that are inherent of yacek style, so have we to keep the themes in our work? And if not, should we have this theme in our work? (without reproduce his painting of course)

Sorry if my question looks evident for someone, but I prefere understand the contest at 100% before going on :)

smiljan66
12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
wahtb is the theme ? fantasy or free theme using the style of the artis jerka

smiljan66
12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
It says in the web page that the inspiration must be surrealist , dosent say is free work ,
so the image theme is surrealism not any kind of work , so what happends if i do not make a surrelaist theme?

smiljan66
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
moose write We do not want recreations of Jacek's work, what we're looking for is work that has similar colors and shapes.

but in the inspiration theme in the web page says surrealism , so if we do the shapes and colors and dont have any surrealism? i think that will be wrong? dont it?

sonicstrawbery
12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I just have a question before going on my composition...hard to tell...in fact I'm asking myself, where is the line between reproduction and personal work?

I mean, there is recurrent themes, forms (the waves, the locomotive, the shell, some houses styles, some building styles), that are inherent of yacek style, so have we to keep the themes in our work? And if not, should we have this theme in our work? (without reproduce his painting of course)

Sorry if my question looks evident for someone, but I prefere understand the contest at 100% before going on :)

I assure you, the line is still blurry to me :) Even after all the mods answers...

smiljan66
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
moose write We do not want recreations of Jacek's work, what we're looking for is work that has similar colors and shapes.

but in the inspiration theme in the web page says surrealism , so if we do the shapes and colors and dont have any surrealism? i think that will be wrong? dont it?

salmonmoose
12-16-2008, 12:54 AM

If a piece looks the same as something already painted it's a reproduction.

salmonmoose
12-16-2008, 12:56 AM
It says in the web page that the inspiration must be surrealist , dosent say is free work ,
so the image theme is surrealism not any kind of work , so what happends if i do not make a surrelaist theme?

If the judges don't think it's surrealist enough, you won't win. We don't try to make a public spectacle out of artists we just won't give you prizes :)

smiljan66
12-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Can we use bump map and displacement map in my materials , oviously wil have the amient oclussion map in my lghthneess map ut in that mateia can i se displacement and ump mapping?
thanks

smiljan66
12-17-2008, 12:05 AM
what is the resolution for landscape render output? i mean the final image in landscape style?

Fashmir
12-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I have a question that has been bugging me about the foliage treatment described in the guide. I understand that for the most part you are speaking to 3D artists as evidenced by the terms and language used to convey the various concepts. At one point you say ..." and avoiding any intersections" and ..."Make sure not to have any overlaps." This is very specific and yet for me, it is also unclear. I understand that the reference to intersections could be directed at 3D artists, admonishing them to avoid interpenetrating geometry, but no overlaps is confusing. Your example images of the leaves have some beautiful overlapping going on. I would like to fully understand this before spending too much time on the gazillion leaves I have planned for my image. :)

smiljan66
12-17-2008, 05:46 PM
1. the image final is portarit or landscape i mean 2560+1600 is horizontal right? what if i want my final image vertical?
1. can we use bum maps and displacement or just displacement keeping one color in the matreial? i mean i will use ambient occlusion in light material but can i put some bump and dispalcement? thanks

Mucus
12-17-2008, 06:04 PM
1. the image final is portarit or landscape i mean 2560+1600 is horizontal right? what if i want my final image vertical?

I believe this question have been answered: the only resolution accepter is 2560x1600, so if you want a vertical render, you will have to use black borders :)

1. can we use bum maps and displacement or just displacement keeping one color in the matreial? i mean i will use ambient occlusion in light material but can i put some bump and dispalcement? thanks

Well I'm not in the contest team but I think that displacement are used to create forms and shapes, so I really don't see why they would be forbidden? Then if bump mapping are used to create a style like yarek's style, I think it's good too :)

In fact I think there is no restriction in technique as long as they are used to make a picture like Yarek do.

smiljan66
12-17-2008, 07:48 PM
well thanks for the resolution explain but thye dministrator tell us if its permited , and thanks for your supportl us if its permited , and thanks for your support

smiljan66
12-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Help ambient oclussion in 3d max takes hours of render is there othway to approach the occlusion ambientadow? waht i do oclussion ambient takes long , i have a 2 quad core 6600 with 8 gb of ram , and with it take too much time is there a way to get the result of ambient oclussion wiothout using the 3d max ambient oclussion in the material , because it takes too long...thanks

smiljan66
12-17-2008, 09:55 PM
For get it i found hw to do it i will use ambient oclusion but in another render the thing is more easy and cheapper thanks anyway

smiljan66
12-18-2008, 02:19 AM
can i put in my final image a comentary like ... all done in 3d max...can i?:shrug:

salmonmoose
12-19-2008, 01:55 AM

if you want a vertical image you need to make it fit in the set size.

yes.

salmonmoose
12-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Help ambient oclussion in 3d max takes hours of render is there othway to approach the occlusion ambientadow? waht i do oclussion ambient takes long , i have a 2 quad core 6600 with 8 gb of ram , and with it take too much time is there a way to get the result of ambient oclussion wiothout using the 3d max ambient oclussion in the material , because it takes too long...thanks

It shouldn't take that long - your settings are too high - crank them back and work up.

salmonmoose
12-19-2008, 01:56 AM
can i put in my final image a comentary like ... all done in 3d max...can i?:shrug:

put it in the description

Fashmir
12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Ok. So did I miss the post on the secret handshake required to get an answer to a question or have I posted in the wrong place?

Magnel
12-20-2008, 12:36 PM
This may have been already answered, but I didn't catch it:

Is the image we post final? Or can it be updated, I'm was almost sure I checked every inch of my painting before I posted it, but after seeing it in context I see several horrible mistakes jumping out?

koch1no
12-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi fellas, i have been uploading my artwork but it have not appear among the others entrys... what had happened? the upload goes fine and with no issues...
thx 4 ur cooperation

Kjello
12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Is it possible to create a thread for my artwork without using "Submit entry"? I would like to discuss some of my sketches, but haven't decided which one to go with or anything yet.

salmonmoose
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
This may have been already answered, but I didn't catch it:

Is the image we post final? Or can it be updated, I'm was almost sure I checked every inch of my painting before I posted it, but after seeing it in context I see several horrible mistakes jumping out?

Yes final images only should be submitted - if you wish to discuss the process, use the forum's work in progress forums.

salmonmoose
12-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Is it possible to create a thread for my artwork without using "Submit entry"? I would like to discuss some of my sketches, but haven't decided which one to go with or anything yet.

No. Use the work in progress forum.

salmonmoose
12-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Hi fellas, i have been uploading my artwork but it have not appear among the others entrys... what had happened? the upload goes fine and with no issues...
thx 4 ur cooperation

Make sure your uploaded image is no more than 2mb in size.

lewissatini
12-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Hi,
I am new in this challenge. I took it and I hope I can learn more from this challenge. I am modeler. I am really new in lighting. I am using maya. I don't know how to set illuminate and how to make the light fall-off as in the guidance.
pls help
thanks

Cyberone
12-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Hi,
I am new in this challenge. I took it and I hope I can learn more from this challenge. I am modeler. I am really new in lighting. I am using maya. I don't know how to set illuminate and how to make the light fall-off as in the guidance.
pls help
thanks

there are many ways to do this...

try this out.
here (http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2884/imageoccsa5.jpg)

lewissatini
12-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks simon for your help
it's my first time to know that i can plug ambient to the color channel of material and used the ambient as color. can you explain me why to do this?

but i want also to know what is mental ray setup to render?
I render it out, but there're so many gray spot

thanks

lewissatini
12-22-2008, 09:12 PM
another question
i have setup low polygon modeling
i want to render out as subdiv without manual change everything to subdiv, because the scene kind of heavy, is it possible to convert the low poly to subdiv or more smooth version during rendering? is that something that I have to do for the tessalation?

Cyberone
12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks simon for your help
it's my first time to know that i can plug ambient to the color channel of material and used the ambient as color. can you explain me why to do this?

but i want also to know what is mental ray setup to render?
I render it out, but there're so many gray spot

thanks

on the occlusion shader up the samples a bit (like 32 or 64) and for ya render settings to something like production.

as i said there are many ways to do it...im just saying this way cause its easy to set up...

Fashmir
12-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Respectfully and sans sarcasm. Is there some reason my question has been ignored?

Mucus
12-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Respectfully and sans sarcasm. Is there some reason my question has been ignored?

Well as you say I think the words about overlapping are mainly destinate to 3D participants, just to prevent geometry intersection....otherwise trees without leaves overlapping will be reeeeeally strange ;) (Well I'm not member of the staff but it sound logic for me)

Quadart
12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I have a question that has been bugging me about the foliage treatment described in the guide. I understand that for the most part you are speaking to 3D artists as evidenced by the terms and language used to convey the various concepts. At one point you say ..." and avoiding any intersections" and ..."Make sure not to have any overlaps." This is very specific and yet for me, it is also unclear. I understand that the reference to intersections could be directed at 3D artists, admonishing them to avoid interpenetrating geometry, but no overlaps is confusing. Your example images of the leaves have some beautiful overlapping going on. I would like to fully understand this before spending too much time on the gazillion leaves I have planned for my image. :)
I think what is meant by avoiding overlaps (…or too obvious regularities) is to avoid that ‘rubber-stamped’ pattern repeat that looks so obvious and bad. Remember that Yerka painted everything individually. All of the elements are unique but follow strict stylistic regularity.

As far as intersection–you want to avoid the accidental or careless intersection of leaf mesh. A leaf should be either in front or behind another, not slicing through each other.

—that's my take on it.

Fashmir
12-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Mucus and Quadart- Thank you for responding. I felt like that was the case but I did not want to put a ton of work into something that would ultimately be wrong just because I didn't take the time to ask for clarity. I appreciate the reassurance.

btw- I am a 2D artist and will be painting every element individually just as Yerka does.

Thanks again. :)

smiljan66
12-27-2008, 04:51 PM
please i wnat to know all know that a 3d work is more difficult that 2d im a 3d and i will do all my work in 3d , but how will be judging the fact between 2d and 3d? because the two are diferent , os i put an example are two images to the first prize one is 2d and the other 3d , how this wil be considered , if the two images are good and the two images has good ideas , , how this two can compite together thats a difficult choice are they?
in gnomonology page this theeme ae very discuted becuase lal people of 3d complain about that , hat mos be apart not together , one thing is vedient from another

smiljan66
12-27-2008, 10:01 PM
i mean you know the work of modeling each little thing , and after that painting or retouching each texture to seem like jarek? and after that ...rendering a high scene in ambinet oclussion wich takes a lot time for me you will see my scene tonight i post and after that retouching and blend the image in my case combustion? , and you relaize that is a lot of work intead painting on a canvas , or matte painting , there is a lot of difference between 2d and 3d .IM NOT SAYING NOTHING WITH THIS ONLY THING I WANT IS QUESTION THIS HARD WORK WILL BE CONSIDERED IN THE JUDGEMENT AGAINST A 2D PICTURE?
Thanks
Sharpness

smiljan66
12-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi please can you put the direct link to the wip of the contest i want to put my images and explain the procces of my 3d working? tanks again.
Cordialy ..Sharpness

Mucus
12-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi smiljan :)

Well in the rules, the only conditions for a work to be eligible is to be CG. Then if you do 2D, 3D, matte painting or whatever, it's not your tools that will be congratulate, but your final result. (I'm working in 3D too).

So, maybe should you take advantage of 3D over 2D like easy duplication (which is a great advantage if you are planning to have a lot of vegetation), ambient occlusion (2D artiste have to paint it!), and lightning which will be computed for you (and which is pretty simple in this case).

So my point of view is, as long as your tool are CG, only the final picture will be considered...so go now and put your polygons together!;)

(PS: for the WIP, it has been said that it is the standard wip section of the site, so maybe just put a mention like "[nvidia sureal contest] blablablablabla")

smiljan66
12-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi i want to know..
1. Can i put the name of my art as the name of a song? it dfeinitibly goes to a song.
2. i cant render 2560 by 1600 my pc craches because has a lot of 3d things , so i only can render it at 1680 by 1050 , and use a trick in photoshop but with this and with all the trick the image final is not perfect i lost some quality , but in this resolution look definitible good at 1680 by 1050 , so waht i do i need to know i i can post 1680 by 1050 or 2560 by 1600 i can post the two but it definible goues good at 1560 by 1050 so waht i post waht reoslution?
thanks
Sharpness

smiljan66
12-28-2008, 04:28 PM
hello i ppost my image but appears two times sorry i dont know what happend please help me to fix that , and i use the name of ¨the stairway to heaven ¨ instead of the original titl eof the song ¨stairway to heaven ¨i hope i can be liek that beacause the title definitible goues with that , thanks i appreciatte all
smiljan66

smiljan66
12-28-2008, 04:35 PM
hello i have a question i post my image and if i want to see it i open the entries and see the image i save it o my desktoop but , when i open it i cant see it large with all the details because i put my image as the size that says the contest , the thing is i hope you will see the image as i post it in that size hope the jury can see the image large , because directly from the page cant , so please tell me if as a jury the image i loaded can be see at the original size i put thanks
smiljan66

Addii
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
hey I was wondering if someone could provide a link to the subforum where WIP for this challenge can be placed?

(quite easy to get lost with all the content you guys are hosting ^.^ thanks).

I know its not like the other challenges and WIP isnt a requirement, but as it mentions on the introduction page..

We strongly encourage entrants to participate in the competition forum as they will benefit from feedback from the community.

Thanks! ^.^;

Fashmir
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
@ smiljan66- I understand the point you are trying to make about 2D VS 3D. With respect I invite you to demonstrate how much easier 2D is by showing us your skill in this competition. With such good prizes available to the winning entry, why make things so difficult for yourself. You are having computer crashes from too large 3D render and so on. Why not do it in 2D? Just a thought for you.

I wish you well.

smiljan66
12-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Mr .....cg society has not open this faq , for demostrate nothing is just for answer and as any person im waiting for my answer , i only ask a question as i can , cg society has not open a forum to talk that , i will not answer that to you , im a 3d artist youcan see my post m and i wish you well too.
smiljan66

smiljan66
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
thanks again

Mucus
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi all! :wip:

Well I know that the work must be CG, but I want to know: if I print my UVs, paint them and then scan them again, will it be considered as CG work, should I use that technique?

freakyfranck
01-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I have a submit question. I have to subscribe and pay money to post my work? I am registred for the forum but it seems a have to get a membership at 29.99$. Is that it?

ishnite
01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
I am also having an issue with submitting my work. I hit the submit button and it seems to work fine but the page refreshes itself and nothing seemed to upload. I've tried uploading my image at 1.9mb and 1.3mb. Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks so much.

Pazurenko
01-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Hallo

I am sorry, if asking by me qestions were already asked

1) Is making work must be a copy of Jacek Yerka's one or can I think up
my own composition?

2) Must I strongly keep to the art style and technique of Jacek Yerka

khendar
01-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I have a submit question. I have to subscribe and pay money to post my work? I am registred for the forum but it seems a have to get a membership at 29.99$. Is that it?

No you do not need to be a paid CGSociety member to enter the competition. You only need to have a free CGTalk account, which you definitely have.

khendar
01-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I am also having an issue with submitting my work. I hit the submit button and it seems to work fine but the page refreshes itself and nothing seemed to upload. I've tried uploading my image at 1.9mb and 1.3mb. Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks so much.

Your image has to be the exact dimensions as specified on the Submission Page (2560x1600). If your image is not these dimensions, it will be be submitted.

khendar
01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Hallo

I am sorry, if asking by me qestions were already asked

1) Is making work must be a copy of Jacek Yerka's one or can I think up
my own composition?

2) Must I strongly keep to the art style and technique of Jacek Yerka

1. You are to use Yerka's style to visualise your own concept. You do not directly copy one of Yerkas work, you create your own composition but in the style of Yerka.

2. Yes, that is the objective of the competition. I suggest that you read the Inspiration and Guide (http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04/inspiration.php) page for more detailed information about how to go about this.

khendar
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
hello i have a question i post my image and if i want to see it i open the entries and see the image i save it o my desktoop but , when i open it i cant see it large with all the details because i put my image as the size that says the contest , the thing is i hope you will see the image as i post it in that size hope the jury can see the image large , because directly from the page cant , so please tell me if as a jury the image i loaded can be see at the original size i put thanks
smiljan66

The image that is posted in your thread is a resized version. If you uploaded it as 2560x1600 then we will have that version. Its resized for display in the forum for performance reasons.

cdwalt
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I have read through this thread and I am still hazy on what I am supposed to do as far as subject matter.

Do I need to pretend that I am Yerka and make a surreal image with objects and subject matter that I think he would use?

Or...

Do I make an image out my own surreal ideas with his color pallette and style?

For example if I pretended I was Yerka I would make an image with a bunch of clocks and a train running through it...but if it were my own idea perhaps I would use brooms and some grizzly beast digging holes but shaded like Yerka...which one is the correct approach?

Thanks and I apologize if this is redundant it just seems like there are mixed opinions still.

khendar
01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
You create your own surrealist vision in Yerka's style. The work will look like its something Yerka might have produced in terms of colour, rendering, concept etc but the actual idea and realisation will be your own.

Try reading the Inspiration page again for a better idea:
http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04/inspiration.php

Quadart
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Cdwalt— Yerka uses a lot of reoccurring themes e.g. the train things. Another thing to remember is Yerka likes to work within a 1950s frame of reference, from what I’ve read in a couple of articles. "For me, the 1950s were a kind of Golden Age ... If I were, for instance, to paint a computer, it would definitely have a pre-war aesthetic to it."

Doing a search will provide you with a lot more examples of his work.

cdwalt
01-09-2009, 03:05 PM
So I use my own brains and pretend I have Yerkas hands?

scarletknight
01-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Help!. I have a question...do you get confirmation when you submit your entry. Ive tried to upload my image since Thurday, it doesnt appear to be working. Can anyone help?

khendar
01-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Help!. I have a question...do you get confirmation when you submit your entry. Ive tried to upload my image since Thurday, it doesnt appear to be working. Can anyone help?

Is your image exactly the dimensions as specified in the guidelines ?

The image must be 2560 x 1600 pixels or it wont work.

celiksert
01-13-2009, 02:14 AM
Ok, Are there any jpeg compression methods other than Photoshop ? Can you suggest some ?

thanks. good luck all :thumbsup:

scarletknight
01-13-2009, 11:22 AM
ok :) Thanks.

Zakari
01-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if the piece we create needs to be the same subject matter as Jacek Yerka's atwork. I know it needs to be in the same style, and definitely fall under the category of surrealism, but do our pieces need to be about the same concept? Thanks!

I guess I should have read more...never mind! :)

shehanRN
01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
hey

in the rules it says Multiple entries are permitted. Does this mean i can submit Multiple entries
and if i can am i to submit under the same user name.

Thnaks

Cyberone
01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
is it just me or are more people than usual finding this one confusing?

most of the answers are set out pretty straight in the main page of the contest...

and people seem pretty way off the point....
just hoping that people are holding back to unleash the glory...lol

to anyone that post questions here please read the main contest page first.....man.

hope to see some rocking stuffz coming up soon :)

Quadart
01-15-2009, 01:34 PM
…and people seem pretty way off the point....
just hoping that people are holding back to unleash the glory...lol

I’m not seeing Yerka yet in this first batch of 20 or so submissions. :shrug:
——————

It’s going to take some time to produce a Yerka styled ‘painting’ that will be viewed full screen on a 30”. There are a lot of brushstrokes per unit area in his work (shy some of the skies). Though the style technique is a basic illustration style, it is a time consuming one. The hard part, IMO, will be achieving his level of composition–both in design and color. I think emulating his style in 3d will be the feat to see in this challenge–not gonna be easy.

smiljan66
01-16-2009, 12:31 PM
hi i dont know why sone people is trying to make the work done but theay are using the same picture in mynd of jerka i mean the same thing , it seem another picture of jerka or a good duplication , instead of doing their original artwork theay ar emaking a picture , with his yhinking of surreaklism but allways thinking of jerka pictures and his style of surrealism , and teh contest ask and original idea of surrealism but not making as another pictures of jerka , i mean is good that teh participants is taking the colors , and some study of jerka , but not doing as seams that jerka mades another picture , i think that is bad becase your creativity would not go more far than jerka , as we see some pictures seem the same thing of jerka , and has to be something new originall with colors of jerka , etc ... , and many people are doing this ,and are not understanding the idea of the contest many has doing mistake and waisting time for my opinion , i think the image has not to have like sying whoooa is the same as jerka ,
i think not , it has to be like jerka , but not imitating his own style , i mean buildings with trees etc , that is wrong because is already there jerka made it , this contest wants something new , i hopw would be good for all this comentary .

Fashmir
01-16-2009, 09:47 PM
The mind set I have been working with since I started working on my image back in December, is that if my image would fit in an exhibit of Yerka's works as though he had done it, then I've done my job. Of course I want to do something from my own imagination, of course I want to stand out with a good image in terms of design, composition, concept, skill etc. But if I do all those things and the image looks like a theme Yerka would not do, or is wrong in terms of color, lighting style, materials, etc. then I would fail.

All of the above is about my self evaluation, what will please me or not please me. As to the final evaluation by the panel of judges, well that is another matter. I can only hope my thoughts are in line with the intent of the contest.

Good luck everyone.

smiljan66
01-17-2009, 06:44 PM

smiljan66
01-17-2009, 08:16 PM

LefTerris
01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Hi,

Do we have to include leafs,trees,grass etc. in our paintings?

Thanks.

cdwalt
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Am I crazy or did the deadline get extended?

Wyszolmirski
01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Wooh... Thats just great !....

Now I am able to create more complex version of my surreal vision without time limitations.

Thank you a lot for extension.

jsgknight
01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
An extension to the deadline.... sweet! Why no official announcement or posting here by the admins, that seems strange. Oh well, I am just glad I have more time.

Hey, did anyone ever answer Addii’s question? The reason I am asking is that my entry will be a combination of both 3D and 2D and does not fit into the WIP Forum categories. I definitely need advice and input on my progress so far and just need a swift kick towards the correct Forum to post my WIP in. Thanks!

hey I was wondering if someone could provide a link to the subforum where WIP for this challenge can be placed? (quite easy to get lost with all the content you guys are hosting ^.^ thanks).
I know its not like the other challenges and WIP isnt a requirement, but as it mentions on the introduction page..

Quote:
We strongly encourage entrants to participate in the competition forum as they will benefit from feedback from the community.
Thanks! ^.^;

khendar
01-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Yes there has been a deadline extension until the 2nd of March. We were planning on making an official announcement about it today.

There is no official WIP thread for this competition. The competition forum is only for finished pieces. If you want to run your own WIP thread then you can start one in the regular WIP forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=120) .

khendar
01-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi,

Do we have to include leafs,trees,grass etc. in our paintings?

Thanks.

Not necessarily. The leaves are just an example of the kind of style elements Jerka uses frequently.

RazorSBhc
01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi

Im having a question about the Image size, It says 2560 x 1600 Pixlars,
I guess these values stands for Width x height, So my question is, Im I allowed to submit a "Portrait" instead of a "landscape" size?, like 1600x2560x Will keep the same pixlar size but just rotate it standing,

Is this ok?

khendar
01-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi

Im having a question about the Image size, It says 2560 x 1600 Pixlars,
I guess these values stands for Width x height, So my question is, Im I allowed to submit a "Portrait" instead of a "landscape" size?, like 1600x2560x Will keep the same pixlar size but just rotate it standing,

Is this ok?

The image must be 2560 x 1600pixels. If the image is not this size, it will not be entered into the system. If you have made your image Portrait, then you must resize it and add black borders on the sides to make it 2560 x 1600px.

MarkSnoswell
01-21-2009, 12:48 AM
The deadline has been extended to the beginning of March -- March 2nd.

People do not have to include leaves or any other feature. I just gave an example using leaves to show some of the elements that Yerka uses to achieve his look.

I will prepare some other examples in the next few days.

BaronImpossible
01-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Ah, an extension. Very handy :)

ranggaumbas
01-23-2009, 08:56 AM
thanks for the extenstion time boss... i hope i can make it in time..
good luck everybody..

guning
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM

People do not have to include leaves or any other feature. I just gave an example using leaves to show some of the elements that Yerka uses to achieve his look.

The deadline has been extended until the 2nd of March!? It ‘s good news!

justinh1245
02-02-2009, 03:19 AM
How may piece can an individial submit because I seen in the rules that multiple entries are permited?

Also when is the deadline? I see a lot of people confused about this? Is it March 2?

Justin

acfusion
02-02-2009, 08:51 AM

March 2nd!!! ohhhhhhh:) .good news!

dirtyBlender
02-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Should an entry be posted without a signature (or name in the bottom right corner of the artwork)?

I was thinking that if one of the winner's pieces was used for advertising, the signature would stand out like a sore thumb.

Should we submit two entries? One with and without a signature?

I'm just opening this up for thought. I know there are some real professionals that might have a suggestion when it comes this.

darubio
02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
just making sure! MARCH the 2nd definitely is the deadline for this challenge?

PELENG
02-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi, can I include a link to the full resolution image and WIP images (uploaded to my homepage or some image hosting site) in my description?
Thank you.

Armanguy
02-12-2009, 09:14 PM
whats the deadline in the first post it says feb 10th ? but on the main page it says march 2009?

khendar
02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
whats the deadline in the first post it says feb 10th ? but on the main page it says march 2009?

The deadline was extended. Its now March 2nd.

You can include a link to a high resolution version if you so wish.

benjaminbattais
02-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Now time extend, so can we post an improved post

shehanRN
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
HI

I have a small question about textures. As For 3d artist can we use texture Libraries such as
total textures ? Or do we have to hand paint everything ?

A quick answer would be very kindfull

Thanks again

MarkSnoswell
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
HI

I have a small question about textures. As For 3d artist can we use texture Libraries such as
total textures ? Or do we have to hand paint everything ?

A quick answer would be very kindfull

Thanks again

You can use texture libraries.

benjaminbattais
02-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Sorry for my unperfected English but can someone answer me if we have the
possibility to repost a improved entries ?..

shehanRN
02-15-2009, 11:17 PM
thank u so much for ur quick answer Mad Scientist..

very kindfull

lewissatini
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM
hi all,
I am struggling with this project. I am wondering how all of you do the grass, flower and the tree. I can't use 3D (my maya crash, because not enough memory -> only have 1Gb RAM). I wondering is there any other way to go around using photoshop or illustration.
I need help on this guidance. if someone there, I am very appreciate of your help.
I saw yerka's website, and I look at his image. He done with hand paint and not digital. I want to know how he do technically. Maybe i can apply tradional method to photoshop, instead of using heavy render in 3D.

Thanks

Quadart
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Here’s an experiment that I did for leaf creation, using a 3-leaf mesh element with a painted material applied.
I duplicated it about 50 times, rotating each element and spacing them so they don’t touch/overlap. Then I rendered them out with my camera set to 120mm, to flatten the scene perspective. I clipped what I wanted and created the arrangement in Photoshop. Again this is an experimental sample. The colors of the render were adjusted in PS before the elements were used in the art. Again this is an experimental sample, there's a lot of 'stamping' going on in this.
Though I used some 3d in the piece I’m working on, I wouldn’t use it exclusively to try to emulate a painting style. I also wouldn’t paint all those leaves individually either, if it were not necessary.:surprised

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/bill_77/leafsamp1.jpg

lewissatini
02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks Quadart
Appreciate for your help
I wondering what kind of rendering do you use? is it a mental ray or maya software rendering?
I don't know well about rendering. last time i do ambient occlusion it tooks me almost 5-6 hours to render one frame. if you're using mental ray or maya software, I want to ask your guidance to increase the rendering performance.

By the way, I am using Maya

thank you

Quadart
02-18-2009, 03:56 PM
I wondering what kind of rendering do you use? is it a mental ray or maya software rendering?
By the way, I am using Maya
thank you
I use the latest version of Cinema 4d and its native renderer, Advanced Render 3 which burns through AO pretty quickly. I don’t use Maya or MR, so I can’t help you there.

lewissatini
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
thanks quadart for the help
is anyone here can help me to improve my render time in maya?

Toker
02-19-2009, 11:36 PM
(I found the answer to my question elsewhere)

Trurl
02-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a question regarding the deadline: when is the deadline on March 2nd? What hour is it? And in which timezone?

smiljan66
02-23-2009, 02:31 PM
IM really have to say that for me no one alomst no one of the concursants doesent get waht trhey have to do with his final image.

The contest is not for copying ideas of yerka and do someideas that yerka already do , and second , the people when thay are doing their work try to bee yarka and paint as if they where doing another piece of art , like if they are yerka , i think meny people do that error ,
The mening of contest is to create a surrealist take , the thing isto create , a new piece without copying, and makesomething not like another piece of yerka instead something original and new .:banghead:

dirtyBlender
02-23-2009, 06:01 PM
IM really have to say that for me no one alomst no one of the concursants doesent get waht trhey have to do with his final image.

The contest is not for copying ideas of yerka and do someideas that yerka already do , and second , the people when thay are doing their work try to bee yarka and paint as if they where doing another piece of art , like if they are yerka , i think meny people do that error ,
The mening of contest is to create a surrealist take , the thing isto create , a new piece without copying, and makesomething not like another piece of yerka instead something original and new .:banghead:

Uh, Smigin... maybe you need to read the NVArt "Surreal: In the Style of Jacek Yerka" contest INTRODUCTION (http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04/index.php) and INSPIRATION & TECHNICAL GUIDE (http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04/inspiration.php) once again. I think you have it completely assbackward. The object is to attempt a Jacek Yerka work... to make an image that Jacek would possibly make. Yes... you should use some imagination... but you should also take from Yerka's style. You do know he uses many of his themes over and over. Try to incorporate some of them... when you make a tree, make a Yerka tree... when you make a cloud, make a Yerka cloud, when you choose a color, choose a Yerka color. Get it?

...and lighten up, dude.

smiljan66
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Meaby you are right meaby you are wrong ,we will see , but i have to say this contest have been a handfull exercise and to know bad as well good people here see ya !

khendar
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Actually a lot of people have got the right idea and are producing the kind of work we're after. It started out kind of bumpy but I think most pieces are now in the right style. Its not just about creating a surreal image, its about creating a surreal image using Yerka's style. I wont go through what constitutes Yerkas style because its been explained many times and almost everybody now has got it.

DimeS
02-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Well the deadline is approaching and if I get one in it will be very near the end.

I see the question was asked earlier but I don't think there was an answer; which timezone are we using for the deadline? Eg. is 11:59pm GMT on March 1st the very last minute? Or is it Australia time...?

Thanks for setting up a great contest, hope there are more in the future.

khendar
02-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Yeh the deadline is on the 2nd of March at 11.59pm GMT. As usual we recommend that you do NOT leave it to the last minute, and get your stuff in a couple of hours early.

DimeS
02-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Yeh the deadline is on the 2nd of March at 11.59pm GMT. As usual we recommend that you do NOT leave it to the last minute, and get your stuff in a couple of hours early.

Wow, now that's a speedy reply, cheers!

Errrhh...although, one more point of clarification, is the deadline the _end_ of March 2nd (Monday night) as you said, or the end of March 1st (Sunday night)...on the rules page it says:

"Entries (one image) must be uploaded prior to 2 March 2009." --which gives the impression that it's the end of March 1st.

Sorry to be such a stickler, but every day counts at this point.

Thanks!

khendar
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Wow, now that's a speedy reply, cheers!

Errrhh...although, one more point of clarification, is the deadline the _end_ of March 2nd (Monday night) as you said, or the end of March 1st (Sunday night)...on the rules page it says:

"Entries (one image) must be uploaded prior to 2 March 2009." --which gives the impression that it's the end of March 1st.

Sorry to be such a stickler, but every day counts at this point.

Thanks!

Like I said: 11.59pm GMT on the 2nd of March. That's midnight Monday night. Remember that this is GMT, so make sure you know what the local time in your location is.

smiljan66
02-25-2009, 03:36 PM
sorry in down here the messaGE

smiljan66
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi to all well i have to say that is humnan to make mistakes i know many people here already dont like me , but well i am a men of rights iand i relaize that meaby i was wrong, but i really dont like cvontest of 2d with 3d , i know all we defend ourselfs , in our art pieces because we love it , and i know the prizes put us in very high preasure , , is the pòint thatw e artist like our thing done rigth and meaby sometimes we thing and work for ourselves like we artist all do we make art for ourselves , like all people do not for all peopel to seee that we are good , is for ourserlves and to be in calm with life , i know all artist here have very high preasure to be one of the best , but i think making a friendly replys is best that critic as a monster , i was hapy with my work many thing we do are not right for others taht are in preasure , or just is not the style that they like , but os ok , you will see more work of me and you will see im good as many , and i love my work but this contest put us all in preasuer pleas eundetsand that, is better to be all friends and knwo to forgive with undestanding you dont know me mebay you know the bad part as we artist do , some are very rude someone not some ones are peacefull , and some one dont , i think meaby wiht this i was giving you what many want , but i know that i have fun with this in sometime and sometimes dont , i will never contest in the ones that mix 2d and 3d ,i hve many more thing to say but i think this is all so dont fight and have a good day.

sorry for my english.................
:thumbsup:

jkay
02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I understand the image size guidelines of 2560x1600, but I was wondering if there is a preferred way of saving the photoshop files to maximize the quality at this size. I don't feel like my submital posted with very good resolution; I lost too much of the detail. I've seen entrants post details of their paintings, how do I do this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

sutefuan
02-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Once an entry is submitted, those it take long to show up in the "view all entries page"? Do you send a confirmation message? I sent my entry (correct size and specs.) a few hours ago, and still no sign of it...? I first sent the image as it is (not compressed), then I sent both; .rar and .zip compression folders.
Thank you...

khendar
02-28-2009, 02:33 AM
I understand the image size guidelines of 2560x1600, but I was wondering if there is a preferred way of saving the photoshop files to maximize the quality at this size. I don't feel like my submital posted with very good resolution; I lost too much of the detail. I've seen entrants post details of their paintings, how do I do this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just save them as high quality as you can. If you want to include details, just host them on another site like photobucket and edit your entry post and embed the images using the [img] tags.

khendar
02-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Once an entry is submitted, those it take long to show up in the "view all entries page"? Do you send a confirmation message? I sent my entry (correct size and specs.) a few hours ago, and still no sign of it...? I first sent the image as it is (not compressed), then I sent both; .rar and .zip compression folders.
Thank you...

You need to submit an image file, not a zip or a rar.

sutefuan
02-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the early reply! I actually sent the image in my CGSociety-portfolio, and it worked fine, (title: Sleepwalking backward). I also uploaded it in another portfolio with higher resolution and it worked too...??? Well, for the moment (still have a few hours) here is the URL address to this version; http://stephanpeloquin.carbonmade.com/projects/2239156

khendar
02-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the early reply! I actually sent the image in my CGSociety-portfolio, and it worked fine, (title: Sleepwalking backward). I also uploaded it in another portfolio with higher resolution and it worked too...??? Well, for the moment (still have a few hours) here is the URL address to this version; http://stephanpeloquin.carbonmade.com/projects/2239156

I'm afraid you'll still have to submit your piece through the proper submission form in order for it to be eligible for judging:

http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/04/submit.php

sutefuan
02-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks again for the attention. I see my entry is on the page now, apparently from my carbonmade image hosting. But I also got this message suggesting that I put it on Photobucket, which I just did. Here is the link;

http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv304/sutefuan_2009/

Yay! it finally worked with the proper submission form!... You can ignore this message

agapit
02-28-2009, 10:47 PM
I can upload a picture throughout all Monday?

agapit
02-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I can load a picture throughout all Monday?

kwk
02-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi !
I want to join competition, but I can't start "new thread" and upload my work.

"kwk, you do not have permission to access this page"