PDA

View Full Version : Rig with a Parent Offset / Child Delay (MAYA)

error777
11-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi all!

long time reader, first time poster....

im working on a rig in MAYA that wants to have a parent node with child node thats delayed in its response...

(see images attached) for example,

1. the sphere is parented to the box.
2. when a box is to the right of the locator, the sphere does not move.
3. once the box passes the locator the sphere follows.
(and as if that wasnt enough)
4. when the box stoppes moving, the sphere does not! it only stoppes when the original distance between the two is same as it was at start of motion.
5. AND these needs to work in all directions - up, down, left, right, you name it!

so the question is, how do i do... all that?

thanks so much in advace!

mberglund
12-01-2008, 03:14 AM
haven't tried anything quite like that yet. check out the frameCache node in the mel docs, i think thats what it called, it could help you update the child for previous frames. not sure if you would get the same effect but you could try a dynamic curve.

tonytouch
12-01-2008, 08:09 AM
frameCache-nodes is a cool way , to do it ...

here is a tutorial about it (http://claudiaherbst.org/cg517/frameCache/frameCache.html)

but you need to be aware of one important issue , that comes up with frameCache-nodes :

- fc_nodes , once they are connected , you cannot change the animation anymore - e.g. if you change the anim_Curve of the parent_object , the child_object might FLIP around in a weird manner .

- what I do about it : I "just reconnect" after modifying the animation ( i use a simple MELscript for it ... which uses the "listConnection"-command , then "disconnectAttr" and then "connectAttr" .... after reconnecting , the delay will be - just as you want it to be.

hope this helps

error777
12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
thank you!

ill dig around... im no so mel script savvy, but i guess this is as good time as any to learn!

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.