PDA

View Full Version : Render File Type Info?

Captain
06-18-2003, 02:32 AM
Ok, I have messed with all sorts of files before, but now more than ever is it actually serious. I will obviously save both a video file and an image file of my rendered cuts, but what type. I usually use Jpegs. But is there a file type that is far supperior (keep in mind i don't have unlimited hd space) and what kind of video file. I'm thinking since i was going to import them into premier I would save them as either uncompressed avi files, or Quicktime Video files. Which would be better in this case too, from an editing and final visual quality standpoint?

-Captain

Thanks in advance,

robinson
06-18-2003, 02:53 AM
Why do you want to render out a video file, if you work with premiere, you can import a image sequence in premiere and then export an .avi file too, thatís what I would do !!!

What kind of Quality do you need, for what kind of media ?
Do you need alpha channels ?

Captain
06-18-2003, 02:55 AM
Im looking for quality that is good for not only an ntsc tv, but to view on the computer as well

robinson
06-18-2003, 03:04 AM
I would render out .tif or .tga files (if you donít have enough disk space, try .png), import to premiere, and then export your desired quality for the specific media type you are using !
If you are outputting to video, maybe you will need a specific codec (avid or whatever, maybe you need to render in fields too).

What kind of video hardware are you using ? ;)

Captain
06-18-2003, 03:10 AM
The comp i will be processing the video onto tape will be a G4 Cupe with a firewire hook up. What im doing my rendering on is just a simple pc. The one concearn I have is aspect ratio. I'm new with premier, and got it just so i could do what i plan on doing. If I load an image sequence into premeir can it automatically adjust the pixel aspect ratio so it looks good on a tv?

Should i just render a basic VGA sized file (640x480 pix aspect of 1), or should I render the D1 NTSC (720x 486 Pix Aspect of .9)?
The reason i ask is, though i would definatly do d1 ntsc if it was going directly to tape, but since im going to be doing work on these clips in Premier, would premier be able to translate the VGA to proper signal for tape?

-Captain

robinson
06-18-2003, 03:15 AM
D1 NTSC

you can change the pixel aspect ratio in premiere too, but please don't do something like that....:shame:

Captain
06-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Thats what i thought, but, what if I want to view the animation on the computer, the image will be distorted. I mean, am i just going to have to deal with that?

-Captain

Triple G
06-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Well, I'm not really familiar with the way Premiere handles stuff like this, but here's what I'd do using After Effects.

First, render out of Lightwave at D1 NTSC (720x486, 0.9 pixel aspect). When you import your footage into AE, you specify its dimensions/pixel aspect, and work with it like any other piece of footage. When you're ready to output to tape, you keep everything the same, and it all looks great on a TV monitor.

If you want to view the animation so that it looks "normal" (not squashed) on a computer monitor, you just change your composition settings to 640x480, Square Pixels, and render to whatever codec you want. I'm assuming Premiere would handle this in a (more or less) similar manner.

**edit**

Just so it's clear, the key here is to change the size/pixel aspect settings for the composition containing the footage, not the footage itself.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.