PDA

View Full Version : POVray or YafRay

actionfigure
06-17-2003, 11:40 PM
Yes, its me again. I was wondering if POVray is better than Yafray and if they are similar. Im trying to incoporate something thats going to make Blender better.

Another thing I cant find the gallery for Blender and is there anyone actually doing any animation, if so can I see it.:hmm:

I greatly appreciate those who answered my questions.

actionfigure:applause:

BgDM
06-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Well, I prefer YAFray over PVray. But I think that is just a personal preference. With the GUI Yable/YableX exporters, it makes YAFray pretty much fool proof.

As far as a Blender Gallery, there really isn't one. You can go visit the sort of official Blender forum, www.elysiun.com, to see what people are doing with it. Elysiun is pretty much the same as CGTalk here, but Blender specific.

There are lots of animations as well. Check out elysiun again for those. Especially look for "Cyan Sun" by LohnC and "Mindfields" by @ndy. Just awesome stuff.

BgDM

Apollux
06-20-2003, 11:46 PM
As for animation, make a search here on CGTalk about 'The Last Outpost'. It is a 30 minutes (more or less) armagedon themed movie done entirely with Blender.

harkyman
06-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Yafray is exciting to many Blender users, because it is relatively new and the Yafray and Blender communities have close ties. Yafray's outputs are nice. Most of the gallery images on the Yafray site were modelled in Blender, then exported to Yaf via the Yable script.

That said, POVRay is really mature, venerable. There is a pile of stuff available for it, from tree generation scripts to... well pretty much anything you can imagine. Blender has a good export script for this as well (POVAnim).

I do not know how the two compare for speed, but anecdotal evidence would suggest that Yafray is much faster.

Which would I use? I'd compare the latest feature list of the exporters to see which would cause me the least reworking of my files.

Good luck.

paintbox
07-13-2003, 12:54 PM
I think YafRay, allthough very early in development, is the more powerful and modern of the two. PovRay's stoachastic renderer lacks a certain feature that makes it look like a true GI. (Can't recall the technical term) I heard POVray 4.0 is going to be a complete rewrite, but this will be a while before it is released.

What I've seen sofar, YafRay is the better of the two (for now) for GI renders. That said, PovRay's raytracing is quick and got good quality. You can use the stand-alone "PoseRay" to quickly convert UV-mapped OBJ meshes (including bumpmap and displacement) to the PovRay format.

Apollux
07-13-2003, 05:22 PM
Also remember, Yet-Another-Free-Ray-Tracer (YafRay) and Persistence-of-Vision (POV) are not the only free renderers available.

There is also VirtuaLight (wich comes with a ready to use Blender importer script) and the original Pixar's RenderMan (the one who started everything when it comes to high quality rendering).... and there are a few more, just that I don't recall them right now.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.