PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Popcorn

HowardM
06-17-2003, 08:47 PM
This kinda looks like popcorn doesnt it?
I basically pushed and pulled polys to get the puffed shape, then selected a bunch and smooth shifted the kernel...
any suggestions on how to make it more like popcorn?
thanks!

DaveW
06-17-2003, 08:50 PM
I think it just needs a little salt and butter!

Dreamwave
06-17-2003, 08:58 PM
very good, the inner stuff looks a bit too shiny though

HowardM
06-17-2003, 08:59 PM
:) does that mean it looks good?
good idea though... to add a few chunks of HV salt...

yeah dream, looks like a gold tooth now!
:)

wozzyke
06-17-2003, 09:26 PM
maybe adding more bump to make little holes in it would make it better, I guess it has to look more foamy (is that correct word?)

The shape is well done, now onle a little less glossy at the yellow part and a little more bumpy and it will be perfect I guess

wozz

anieves
06-17-2003, 09:41 PM
I would pop some for good refernce and have a snack at the same time!

Shade01
06-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Well, it looks like popcorn to me! I bet you could probably make that with voxels on surface setting.

HowardM
06-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys,
I do have an HV setting, but I need this to stand up to HD resolution at 1920x1080...and its gotta look pretty real or at least stylised real...the HVs dont look so good up close!
Ill dig that up when I get home..I made a pfx stream of popcorn in a volumetric light a few years ago...it looks cool!

Ill tone done the kernel shine, and make the puffy details stand out a little more...plus with a few other pieces this could look ok.

oh yeah, anyone have any ideas on how to make a kernel pop into this!?
morphs? scale? 5 frame quicky?

Thanks!

jmcalpin
06-18-2003, 12:33 AM
From watching the Sci Fi Channel movie logo they show a kernal blow in slow mo. Basicly the gold interior was the surface. So What I would do is make an endo morph and try to collapse the white down and then make a kernal shape with the gold. You then make another surface that is a nice looking kernal exterior and fit that around it, the surface is that annoying bit of stuff in the bag that gets stuck in your teeth, so it could fly off when it pops. Maybe have it as a seperate model.

then You will have to either reverse the endo morph and base so it starts as a kernal and morphs or leave it as is and just morph it to a kernal.

Now I'm hungry...I better go research this some more...

jay

SplineGod
06-18-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
This kinda looks like popcorn doesnt it?
I basically pushed and pulled polys to get the puffed shape, then selected a bunch and smooth shifted the kernel...
any suggestions on how to make it more like popcorn?
thanks!
Use a little inverse crumple in the bump channel.

HowardM
06-18-2003, 06:42 AM
thanks larry, I actually did that, its just hard to see at low res...ive jacked it up a little....gotta love negative 'cauliflower' crumple!

so, of course I had to try to use MD to make a kernel pop open! :)
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70265

ill get there...

if only it wasnt so hard to also morph out the white part!!!

SplineGod
06-18-2003, 07:59 AM
Instead of using MD just make a kernal object and a popcorn object. Do an object replace or dissolve out kernal on one frame and the popcorn in at the same time. It happens so fast that youll never be able to tell.

HowardM
06-18-2003, 03:06 PM
oh, i know...but if you havent figured me out by now! :)
i HAVE to try it in MD!
...actually, i want to see if i can do a slow mo like the Sci fi channel...

Arte
06-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
oh, i know...but if you havent figured me out by now! :)
i HAVE to try it in MD!
...actually, i want to see if i can do a slow mo like the Sci fi channel...

Hi Howard. Wouldn't making a popped kernal with rails work so you could then morph the thing in slo mo?

X

HowardM
06-18-2003, 08:03 PM
yea, i know, there are easier ways, but Im a slave to punishment, and just have to get MD to do it!...I just love pushing MD to new limits!

zaam
06-18-2003, 10:45 PM
I seem to remember some nice popcorn in Jimmy Neutron. I think that was done with Hypervoxels if I'm not mistaken. Depending on your composition, you could always use a few ringers for the close shots and HV the rest.

HowardM
06-21-2003, 12:44 AM
I think it turned out pretty well!...it looks great animated even though theyre all the same clones!
http://www.3dink.com/poptest2.jpg

CourtJester
06-21-2003, 01:18 AM
nice work! Cool lighting too.

HowardM
06-21-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks!

HowardM
06-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Click here for a QTSorensen3 animation! (http://www.3DInk.com/popcornHD.mov)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.