PDA

View Full Version : does maya open .3ds files?

addicted2_3D
06-17-2003, 09:41 PM
does maya open .3ds files?

kiaran
06-17-2003, 09:49 PM
with a free plugin you can download from A|W.

Does not import animation just geo.

rock
06-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Use openTools for 4.5 or 5.0 from Alias Wavefront website. I find that the geometry stays intact; the materials are in the right place; but the lighting are so bright. And when render, the result are no where close to the result in 3DMAX.

After you import and just render, the result are not good. I don't know if anyone can comment on how to adjust the lighting and materials so that it will look close to 3dmax result, after importing into Maya. Thanks.

onlooker
06-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by rock
Use openTools for 4.5 or 5.0 from Alias Wavefront website. I find that the geometry stays intact; the materials are in the right place; but the lighting are so bright. And when render, the result are no where close to the result in 3DMAX.

After you import and just render, the result are not good. I don't know if anyone can comment on how to adjust the lighting and materials so that it will look close to 3dmax result, after importing into Maya. Thanks.

Can you post a link to the page openTools is on? I scoured A|W.com looking for openTools, but I couldn't find them. I found a 4.5 3ds import plugin, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Kabab
06-18-2003, 04:33 AM
Get the bonus tools pack that has the .3ds import.

gmask
06-18-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by addicted2_3D
does maya open .3ds files?

At first I was thinking why is beaker asking such a n00b question and then I realised it wasn't beaker it's just his avatar.

rock
06-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Onlooker,

You can find the bonus tools in this link:

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml?page=/en/Community/Download/plug_ins/plug_ins_m.html&style=normal

or go to www.aliaswavefront.com and choose Community->Free Downloads->Maya and then choose Plug-ins, which will lead to the link above.

The bonus tool for 4.5 is not as obvious as for 5.0 so you have to click on the link - 4 Plugins updated for Maya 4.5 - Windows.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.