PDA

View Full Version : Need help texturing a marble.

RudeYuut
06-17-2003, 09:12 PM
It's really two questions. Ok, I have the object already created. I now have to texture it so that it looks like a marble. (You know the marbles that you play with as a kid. Oh oh, I think I'm showing my age). I've been playing around with the presets and the settings, but I'm just getting decent results. The second thing is that I have to map an image over it (with bump mapping). The second question. Is there a way to create a mask on an object like in photoshop, so that only part of an image shows up on a surface? Any help will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Rei Ayanami
06-17-2003, 11:29 PM
isnt the inside part of the marble more like a flat plane anyway. wouldnt it be better to make somthing like this inside the sphere of the marble and apply a texture+alpha map to that for the little wavy thing inside. If this isnt what you were after then i dont know. wana post a pic?

RudeYuut
06-18-2003, 01:28 AM
I would luv to but I don't have a website let me see if I can find a link.

SplineGod
04-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Heres a marble I created. Its a simple sphere with small spheres for bubbles and an object to get the swirl inside. I have a couple of lights and caustics on. Im using gradients to effect transparency, reflectiivty etc. Im using a sky ball with an HDRI in the lumninance channel. Very simply to set up.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/marble.jpg

pblacklock
04-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Great job Larry,

i tried to replicate your marble but mine winds up way too bright, my question is it the hdri on the sky ball that would be set to too high or is it the surface of my marble that reflects too much caustic?

Thanks
Paul

SplineGod
04-05-2004, 05:52 AM
I created a skyball but used the hdri in the luminosity channel only
Then I applied a gradient in the reflectivity channel set to incident angle so the marble is more relective towards the edges.
I also used fractal noise in the gloss channel to get the nicks/scratches

pblacklock
04-05-2004, 06:18 AM
thanks larry,

almost got it but it still isn't at nice as yours.

sorry jesta78, don't want to hijack the thread just want to identify my mistakes maybe it can help you atthe same time.

Paul

SplineGod
04-05-2004, 06:26 AM
up the amount value of the gradient at the edge in your refl chanel.

pblacklock
04-05-2004, 06:39 AM
You're Good Larry,

you're so far and yet so near, looks real nice. I'll keep on tweaking tomorrow cause here it's kinda late and i am off to bed but it's definitely getting closer like yours now.

thanks again,

:thumbsup:

Paul

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.