PDA

View Full Version : Max Book Guide

Signal2Noise
06-17-2003, 08:49 PM
For anyone considering getting a certain book to support your endeavors in max then look no further than here. I've compiled a listing of books that I personally own and make comments about each one in order to assist you in your decision. Books are expensive so I figured this will help.

Please note this will be an on going listing and will be edited quite bit as more info is introduced.
Remember that these are in my library- it’s not just an arbitrary list!

As a side note just by taking a look at the listing contained here it seems to be an indication what the most popular CG app is!

So for now here are the books:

3ds max 4 Bible (Murdock)
3ds max 4 for Windows: Visual Quickstart Guide (Matossian)
Great as a handy reference book for looking up tools and commands. This version includes an index which makes it much easier to find what you need. The price is right on this one!
Modeling a Character in 3ds max (Steed)
Great book if you’re either a) new to caharacter modeling, or b) want to do models for games. I haven’t actually completed the tutorials because frankly I found it a tad on the boring side. I also discovered some of the Illustrator files required to load for reference really grinded my system to a melt down. I now have a faster PC so I will try the files again soon.
3ds max Animation and Visual Effects Techniques (Kennedy)*
This is one of my most recent purchases. So far I’ve sat down and read every chapter without turning on my computer. It's well written and the instructions are clear and concise. More importantly, the example pictures are large enough to discern what the tutorial step is talking about. What’s great about this book is there’s chapters dedicated to Character Studio and Combustion. The author worked on lots of movies including X-Men 2 and the book uses his solo project as the tutorials. I recommend this one w/o hesitation.
3D Studio Max 3 Professional Animation (Jones)*
This is a fantastic resource for anyone even remotely interested in character animation. Fun tutorials, excellent models to work with, and it’s well written. I think you may have to find a used copy or look in bargain bins now for it.
Mastering the Art of Production with 3ds max 4 (Busby)*
Fantastic book! A complete project from beginning to end including a chapter dealing with Combustion. It’s a fun tutorial and the end result is quite impressive. People I show it to are amazed that it’s CG (like little purple alien guys are a normal occurance in real life!)
Maxscript and the SDK for 3D Studio Max (Bicalho)
Lot’s of great script examples included (thus the title of this book). I haven’t really worked through it yet because reading the scripts makes me go cross-eyed. Besides, I visit Bobo’s site if I want scripts. Good for reference nonetheless especially if you’re into specialized work or customization.
Sams Teach Yourself 3D Studio Max 2 in 14 Days (Kakert)
3ds max 4 Magic (Bonney et al.)
For intermediate to advanced users. Lot’s of variety in tutorials but you need to be able to ‘read between the lines’ as not everything is spelled out for you.
3ds max 4 Fundamentals (Boardman)
3ds max 4 Workshop (Loose)*
I agree with Xilica's comments. See the post below. I want to note that this book is geared more towards intermediate to advanced users. Loose's tutorial's in this book explain what needs to be done but leaves the majority of work process up to the max user. In other words, he is not holding your hand this time around. I recommend getting his ver. 3 book which is a more step-by-step approach THEN continue your progress with this book. Highly recommended.
3ds max 4 Media Animation (Chismar)*
This book deals with mainly logo type projects for television just as it’s predecessor did. I found the tutorials to be quite enjoyable and gives great insight into multi-camera sequences and texturing.
3D Studio Max R3 F/X & Design (Bell et al.)
Inside 3ds max 4 (Lee)
Inside 3D Studio Max 2 Fundamentals
Inside 3D Studio Max 2 Volume I
Inside 3D Studio Max 2 Volume II (Boardman et al.)
Inside 3D Studio Max 2 Volume III (Maestri et al.)
3D Studio Max 3 Fundamentals (Peterson)
3D Studio Max 3 Media Animation (Chismar)*
You want to know how to do logo animation? This is the book for you! Great stuff. I learned a lot from the four extensive tutorials here. Loose covers Illustrator as well.
3ds max 4 Ground Rules (Peterson)
3D Studio Max R3 Visual Quickstart Guide (Matossian)
3D Studio Max 2 Fundamentals (Peterson)
3ds max 4 In Depth (McFarland)
3D Studio Max 2 Effects Magic (Carbonaro et al.)
3D Studio Max 3 Magic (Holmes et al.)
For intermediate to advanced users. Lot’s of variety in tutorials but you need to be able to ‘read between the lines’ as not everything is spelled out for you.
Inside 3D Studio Max 3 Volume I (Miller et al.)
Inside 3D Studio Max 3 Volume II
Inside 3D Studio Max 3 Volume III
3D Studio Max 3 Bible (Murdock)
Mastering 3D Studio Max 4 (Woods)
3D Studio Max 3.0 Workshop (Loose)*
Extremely fun tutorial project that goes from story boarding all the way to final output. I found a few mistakes in the tutorials which forces you to backtrack a bit and solve the problems to make the models or animation look right. However, it’s still a great resource and I always refer to it if I’m stumped in doing something.
Harnessing 3ds max 5 (Bousquet)
3ds max 5 Fundamentals (Boardman)
Advanced 3ds max 5 Modeling & Animating (Kulagin)
I just started working through this book. Right of the start I'd recommend this book more to intermediate max users or someone who has a good grasp on all the tools in max. The author relies on the fact that the user does not need any hand-holding in going through the tutorials and leaves most of the exercises up to the user to complete. I don't really like the way the book is written grammatically speaking. I guess it has to do with translation from the author's native language to English. Also, the author refers to another book "3ds max 4: From Objects to Animation" which I don't have (and won't get because I thought it was too basic) and gives me the feeling he wants the user to buy it too. However, that being said, the tutorials so far are fun to do and is really good at showing some of the modelling techniques available in max. Get it if your book collection is lacking but otherwise it's not a 'must have' as compared to other titles.

…to be continued…

*- asterix indicates what I would deem a ‘must have’ title.

It's very important to remember that the Help, Tutorial, and Manuals that ship with max are your friend and should be consulted before laying out your hard-earned cash for an after market book! This is usually stipulated in every preface of every max book.

Xilica
06-20-2003, 06:11 PM
3ds max 4 Workshop (Loose)
Excellent, excellent book. At the beginning he walks through the interface for beginners to the program and then introduces modeling concepts. The whole book is really a project/workshop because while you are learning concepts you are also putting those concepts into action. Highly recommended to anyone who is new to 3ds max 4, howver if you are not completely new this book can still be of help. A CD Rom comes with the book with many files.

yboris
07-08-2003, 05:31 PM
I have just ordered this book from Amazon due to an abundance of people rating the book with 5 stars. Of course once I get it I will post a review.

Signal2Noise
07-09-2003, 03:01 PM
yboris, I have the book but I haven't gone through it yet. You should complete it first before reviewing it. If you want you can PM me with your review and I'll then post it in the "list" giving you full credit for the review. Then we can delete the subsequent posts to keep this thread nice and clean:thumbsup:

[Edit]: Same goes for you, Aci|ix. If you want I can attach your review to my list.

Tom Wood
07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Hi All,

Hope this isn't inappropriate, but I have three Max books for sale. I changed my mind and went with Lightwave instead after buying these books, so they are brand new and the CD has never been opened.

3DS Max 5 Bible - Murdock
3DS Max 5 Fundamentals - Boardman
Mastering the art of Production with 3DS Max 4 - Busby & Bousquet

I'll take half of what amazon charges.

TW

sqitso
07-31-2003, 06:01 AM
I will buy your 3DSMax 5 Bible if you still have it. Good refference.

DJB343
08-16-2003, 02:52 PM
thanx signal, ive bought 3ds max 4 Workshop and 3ds max Animation And Visual Effects Techniques ..... mainly because of the recommendation of these books by u :thumbsup:

Thanx Signal !!!

s2a-adamk
09-07-2003, 06:58 AM
I teach 3d Max / Viz at the University of Kansas - and while these max books are good - I use these general 3d books for class because they cover a lot more information and explain the why not just the how.

Digital Lighting and Rendering (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1562059548/cadmonkeycom/) , Jeremy Birn, 2000

Digital Texturing and Painting (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735709181/cadmonkeycom) , Owen Demers, 2001

Essential CG Lighting Techniques (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0240516893/cadmonkeycom) , Darren Brooker, 2002

Optional:

The Art of 3-D: (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/047136004X/cadmonkeycom), Isaac Victor Kerlow, 2000
I think there is a 3rd edition now....

Check 'em out.
a

Jennbot
09-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Hi!

Signal to Noise-

You mentioned that 3ds max Animation and Visual Effects Techniques had information about character studio. Do you know which version of character studio it covers and whether or not there is info about the mixer in it?

also, any thoughts of making a similar list for useful dvd or vhs max courses?

Meanadam, thanks for the recs on the books. I have been wondering if there was a good lighting book out there for a while.

Signal2Noise
09-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Jennbot
Hi!

Signal to Noise-

You mentioned that 3ds max Animation and Visual Effects Techniques had information about character studio. Do you know which version of character studio it covers and whether or not there is info about the mixer in it?

CS 4 is the version covered. If you mean Motion Mixer then yes, there is brief information on it as well. The chapter dedicated to Character Studio is only roughly 15 pages including exercises. Hopefully a future book in the series will go into better detail.

...also, any thoughts of making a similar list for useful dvd or vhs max courses?

Not from me. I don't own any VHS/DVD training tutorials so I can't comment on them. Perhaps someone else can offer recommendation and insight?

Meanadam, thanks for the recs on the books. I have been wondering if there was a good lighting book out there for a while.

I also concur with meanadam's recommendations. I have the first two listed books (Brin & Demers) which are a great resource. I have others as well but do not include them in my list as they are considered non-app specific. I only wanted to provide a listing that involved Max specifically. Another book that I just purchased which is proving to be really valuable is 3-D Human Modeling and Animation (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471215481/qid=1063563880/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/701-8739466-1705125) . Check it out.

Taoizm
12-31-2003, 11:29 PM
bump

XEcuti0ner
01-05-2004, 11:06 PM
what about any good 3ds max 6 book, or are there any out yet??

Signal2Noise
01-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow! I guess I better update my book listing comments one of these days. Thanks for the bump!

XEcuti0ner: I'm keeping my eyes open for ver. 6 books but I doubt I'll be laying out the chump change for the new version of max anyway since I've turned to LightWave and XSI. But I do enjoy books so who knows.

Anyway, afaik no max 6 book has been released yet or have long delivery times according to Amazon. However you could do well with any book that I've mentioned for say version 4 and higher. I would say you could still use 95% of the information in those with 6. And the remaining 5% (which will be all the new stuff) can be learned from the max 6 Help and Tutorial files.

XEcuti0ner
01-06-2004, 06:05 PM
I went ahead and pre ordered one from Barnes and Noble, but they wont have it until Feburary, thanks for the info, and i will look through some of the older stuff too.

eliseu gouveia
02-01-2004, 01:24 AM
So, what´s the word on more extensive Reactor 2 literature?

brenton
02-18-2004, 02:57 AM
don't know too much on reactor 2 material but,

I will say that "Harnessing 3ds Max 5" is the most excellent book for beginners and maybe even the intermediate. I read this 850+ page book cover to cover and completed maybe all but 3 of the oh so many exercises. And let me tell you, i definately have 'harnessed' 3ds max and now have a better understanding on the way to achieve things in 3ds max. One thing thought that they possibly could've gone into more detail on is the chaper on "Materials" and some more on some of the specific kinds of materials, but all in all this book is a pretty easy and understandable read.

thomaspecht
03-14-2004, 07:31 PM
any thoughts on "animating real-time characters with 3ds max" from paul steed?
i heard that it's mainly one large tutorial for the less experienced, but that it also includes lots of useful tips for the more experienced users to fight the evil max/physique-combo as well.
unfortunately, it's no longer available on this side of the atlantic so if it was good i'd have to get it from overseas... $$$.

Zeddicus
03-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by brenton
I will say that "Harnessing 3ds Max 5" is the most excellent book for beginners and maybe even the intermediate.
I really liked the 3ds max Visual Quickstart Guide by Michele Matossian (Peachpit Press). Really great line of books for beginners as well. Everything is laid out very well in easy to understand chapters. Helped me become familiar with fundmentals of how Max works when I was first starting out in 3D modeling. I think the one for 3ds max 6 just came out last week as well. Don't need it, but may pick it up just because. And it's inexpensive too.

Tommy5547
03-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Bought the 3ds6 bible from amazon in january. It is not released yet but when i have it i will write i review here.

It will be released in the end of april... I return then.. :)

BigRanS123
04-06-2004, 08:06 PM
3ds max 6 killer tips

This book is one of the best books for helping get quick answers and cuts all the BS. This is not for the beginner, but helps someone who need a answers fast.

Here is the website http://www.newriders.com/title/0735713863

They have other Killer tips books, but I have not looked at them yet.

aliciaCunnie
05-05-2004, 10:41 AM
killer tips for max 6, is really great, the design is god, and it is very clear to read and understand, i recommend it to everyone :P

Tommy5547
05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
3dsm 6 bible is not worth bying according to me.
To basic and no in-depth on anything.

Looks cool in the bookshelf though... ;)

/T

aliciaCunnie
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
yes true :P but it is good some time to go back to the source and relearn, it helps sometimes to get ride of bad habit :P

Zeddicus
05-05-2004, 09:51 PM
I agree with aliciaCunnie. It's surprising some of the simpilist things you sometimes forget and don't even realize it. So I'd say no matter how advanced you get, it's probably good to go back once in a while and skim through your most basic instructional book.

Jimmy_Dublo
05-18-2004, 05:40 AM
Im still a rather newbie at modelling. But I have made some basic human shaped models, with Box modelling and Mesh Editing.
Which book do you think would be the best for me?
Im more interested in creating characters for games.

By the way, I am using 3ds max 5.

:thumbsup:

The_Magician
06-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by eliseu gouveia
So, what�s the word on more extensive Reactor 2 literature?

Checked the Reactor help file yet? Its not located in the help menu. you have to go to your MAX directory /help, pretty damn extensive.

Strange how MAX doesn't show it under "Additional Help".

Signal2Noise
06-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy_Dublo
Im still a rather newbie at modelling. But I have made some basic human shaped models, with Box modelling and Mesh Editing.
Which book do you think would be the best for me?
Im more interested in creating characters for games.

By the way, I am using 3ds max 5.

:thumbsup:

You'd do well with one or both of these:

...Real-Time Game Characters (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584502703/qid=1086671370/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-1765239-9255028?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) (I don't have it but I'm going to check it out)

Modeling a character.... (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556228155/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-1765239-9255028?v=glance&s=books&st=*) (This one I do have and it's pretty good- it's in my list on the first thread page)

Side Note: When I have time I still plan to update the list. I'm not using max as much these days but have been keeping a close watch on books. I like books!:drool:

jay_leeds
07-14-2004, 11:28 AM
I've purchased many max books, too many in fact, but I can recommend the following ;

3DS Max 6 Animation: CG Filmmaking from Concept to Completion - Barrett Fox

Excellent book, not only covers modelling characters and animation but CG filmmaking, e.g producer, director, storyboarding, story creation and audio etc.. it's a really good read if your interested in all aspects of CG filmaking.

3ds MAX X Killer Tips - Jon Bell -

A great book with some straight to the point tips on all areas of max.

3D Studio MAX 3 Professional Animation - Angie Jones & Sean Bonney

Another good book on starting animation

micco
07-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Is there any good books for max 6 or for Mental Ray (max version) only (rendering, lights, materials and shaders)? Or perhaps a DVD set. I learn much better when I see someone doing the thing :) I have bought mental4ever dvd's from evermotion (they were quite good) but I'd like to learn more.

zudo
03-28-2005, 04:54 AM
Hello I'm new and this is my first post :)

Anyway, I recently got into 3d modleing and am not a good modeler (especielly since I've only completed 1 thing, from a tutorial, even though I'm like half-way into lotsa of other tutorials and I expect I'll stay there) Anywho, Can anyone recommend a good book for 3ds max (specifically 3ds max 7) that goes into splines in depth? I've looked at a lot of tecniques, and they always make me feel like it's "cheating" or "not really your work" (I'm talking about like box modeling tecniques and similar techniques) Anyway, even theough I did half- tutorials with those techniques, I never feel like it's really my work, and so I can't continue, but ith splines, it makes me feel like every single point is mine... and now to the point:

Can anyone recommend a 3ds max book (specifically 3ds max 7) that goes in depth with splines and character modeling (specifically heads, and ears, and maybe hair?) Also, I would prefer if the book showed you how to make ody's as well with splines, I've looked at a few tutorials, and I get the concept, but when I try to make a head or something, I can't grasp the "feel" and the "flow" of the face or anything, or the feel or flow of modeling, so I need a book that will actchually go into detail with splines... maybe it coul include anatomy or something?

Sorry fo the long post, I just realized how much I write, and how repetitive I am... thanks for even reading the post... even if you just skimmed it...

Oh, almost forgot, I would prefer if whatever title you chose is not so expensive, because I'm only 14... and we 14 year olds don't really have a 6 figre salary to look forward to or anything... lol I don't think many people have a six figure slary to look forward to eithier...

Woops, sorry, I'm ranting again.

The_Magician
03-28-2005, 11:55 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/073571438X/qid=1112053729/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6769280-0676152?v=glance&s=books

That one is for Maya, but the tools are exactly the same. I got that book and followed along in MAX very easily. Check out www.3dbuzz.com for some awesome video tutorials, theres one on modeling an alien.
It treats you like a complete newbie the whole way through, which is actually pretty cool, cause it assumes absolutely *NO* prior knowledge.

But yeah, as stated, that link there is an absolutely Fantabolous book, highly reccomended no matter what package you use.

Also, this one;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1584502703/ref=pd_sim_b_4/102-6769280-0676152?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance
Seems to have awesome reviews from everyone on Amazon... maybe give it a try?

Junpei
03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
^^depends what currency your talking about :bounce:

i am going to write a 3dsmax modeling and effects book soon with emphesis on complete step by step character modeling and texturing. :) the book will be easy to follow but concentrate on quality and technique. so if you guys are interested PM me with a list of things you would like to see.

as for the books mentioned below, both of paul steeds books are quite good.

djdorifto
04-11-2005, 04:56 AM
hola, wanted to know if anyone got their hands on any of the 3ds max 7 books that are out now. I know the basics don't change, so that I can get a 3ds max 5 book or something, but while am at it I can also learn the new feature 7 offers. Or do you think the guide that comes with the program is good enough for the new features and just get a 5 or 6 book for the basics? Thanks a bunch everyone.

thomaspecht
04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
paul steeds books are very focused on his specific (and sometimes rather weird and/or outdated) approaches. if you can live with that, these are very in depth (not to say lengthy), he has a good style of mixing his very understandable explanations with a bit of entertainment and doesn't just cover basics and then skips over the important steps as some other authors like to do (inside 3ds max, anyone?).

djdorifto: depends on the price difference, i'd say.
the max help files and docs regarding version changes and new features are pretty good these days so just get a book you can get along with best and don't care about the version number too much. often it's some basics one is struggling with the most in the early learning stages anyway.

there are a few key features that have only been made available in newer releases of max, (e.g.: max5: character-system, advanced rendering and reactor, max6: mental ray and particle flow) and will thus not be covered in older books but for a starter that shouldn't matter.

onyxcross
05-13-2005, 04:39 AM
I picked up the Max 7 Bible by Kelly L. Murdock ($50.00), which appears to be completely comprehensive.
I'd imagine this would be more useful to beginners such as myself, but it has already eased me through a couple of areas I was stuck on, so I'm finding it quite useful!

It also came with a CD that has a bunch of models, tutorials etc, as well as the complete book in PDF format.

DERacing
05-28-2005, 03:00 AM
Well, may as well add mine in. One old favorite and 3 new ones I picked up this week.

1st off.... The 3ds Max 6 Killer Tips is one of the coolest books I have. Some of the ideas and suggestions have helped with take my modeling to a higher level now. His tips on materials, maps, rendering is second to none IMHO. I recommend this one to anyone who asks about books... Cant wait for the Max 7 tips.

I picked up the 3ds Max 7 Bible this week. I have the Max Bibles from Ver 4 and continue to grab them as they hit the shelves. I dont read through them but use them for more of a reference. Need info on Radiosity, open the bible. Need info on Materials, open the bible. You get the idea.

Another excellent book I found on the shelf at Borders is the 3ds Max 7 Fundamentals and beyond courseware book from Focal Press. This one also has a cd attached with it. Very nicely done book with a real step by step approach. Very nice.

Last one this week. Inside 3DS Max 7. New Riders. Havent had a chance to dive into this one quite yet but thumbing through it, the coverage seems to be below the Bible, but still adequate enough for a newbie to follow along. I have to say at first I was sort of disappointed with it but as I read more of it I am starting to think it was money well spent.

All of these books are available on Amazon.com a hell of a lot cheaper than what I paid for them at Borders this week... I'll check there next time. Also, Amazon has several bundles WAY cheaper than buying the books seperately.

Not much of an in-depth review, but the Max 7 books are out there... and more are coming I'm sure. I was trying to locate some books relating to Max and Lighting setups, rendering controls and such. If anyone has any suggestions for those, lets hear it.

And while Im here, I have to say thanks to everyone on here. I have found so much help from these and a few other forums that it has made this more enjoyable to me over the last few years.... I just keep wanting to build more models. Its always a learning experience!

Lau Gar
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Is it worth getting the Killer Tips book if you're using version 5, or is it pretty 6-specific?

Jon A. Bell
06-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Well, may as well add mine in. One old favorite and 3 new ones I picked up this week.

1st off.... The 3ds Max 6 Killer Tips is one of the coolest books I have. Some of the ideas and suggestions have helped with take my modeling to a higher level now. His tips on materials, maps, rendering is second to none IMHO. I recommend this one to anyone who asks about books... Cant wait for the Max 7 tips.

DERacing, thanks very much for the nice words. I had a lot of fun writing that book, and had excellent contributions from a wide variety of contributors, including Bobo, Neil Blevins, Mike Spaw, Dan Meblin, Aksel Karcher, Ben Lipman, Pete Draper and others.

Unfortunately, there are no plans for a 3ds max 7 (or 8) Killer Tips book, at least from me. The book came out right as New Riders underwent some severe management changes, and the book's sales were surprisingly poor. (It's the only book I've written that's earned me no royalties at all -- just the advance.) It was extremely surprising and disappointing, and the lack of publicity for the book, coupled with an early, really negative (and, in my not-so-humble opinion, really stupid) review on Amazon, really seemed to dent the sales.

However, I'd love to know what you found most useful about the book, and areas that were especially helpful to you. (You can email me directly at jonbell [at] esedona [dot] net, if you want.) Thanks!

-- Jon

Jon A. Bell
06-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Is it worth getting the Killer Tips book if you're using version 5, or is it pretty 6-specific?

There are a lot of general 3ds max tips in the book, so you might still get some good use out of it, even if you're not using 3ds max 6 (or 7.)

-- Jon

DERacing
06-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Very much my pleasure Jon! I must say, it is a rare chance to actually speak to the author of a book on a personal level.

I particularly took interest in the map/material section of the book. I dont do video (at this time) and have not delved into maxscript yet (although I am quite familiar with AutoLisp).

The suggestions and ideas you outline in the book regarding use of Raytraced materials has set somewhat of a standard for the mats that build for use. Most of my scenes are pretty basic. Most have either a Nascar/Racecar model or a tractor/trailer in them and are primarily used for presentation shots of peoples paint schemes.

I plan on going further into the mental ray side of max... I have dabbled a bit with it.

Give me a bit... I'll write a little more later on tonight. Gotta run! :)

Arvetis
09-05-2005, 06:36 AM
I got the 3ds max 7 Bible. I'm a pretty green beginner, but I found it mostly useless. There wasn't anything in this book that wasn't covered in the tutorials that ship with Max. Maybe it's useful as a paper-based reference, I guess.

I'm looking for something on character modeling that isn't too advanced. Can anybody reccomend anything?

TarzanJB
09-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Thanks Signal to Noise for the nice resources

YngveE
10-01-2005, 04:12 PM
are there any books out there who focuses on the modeling and animation of high detail human characters in max 7? The books i found on the subject was all low poly:/
And is there a book that takes a more deeper look into clothFX and hair for max 7,5?
The tutorials that came with the upgrade were both good and informative but i think im looking for some more complex tutorials:)

DoubleSupercool
10-02-2005, 01:12 AM
It was extremely surprising and disappointing, and the lack of publicity for the book, coupled with an early, really negative (and, in my not-so-humble opinion, really stupid) review on Amazon, really seemed to dent the sales.

-- Jon
Well, if it's the one I quoted in my review that I just put up, I agree.

The dude's complaint was "What's the point of doing a fake GI rig with standard lights? The bestest Max users in the multiverse use radiosity and skylight. And I am one of the bestest."

Methinks someone just found the "make pretty" button. Excuse me while I wait 4 bazillion years for my animation to render using radiosity. Oh, it's all jumpy and inconsistent.

Headless
10-02-2005, 02:28 AM
I did a search on this thread and couldn't find it, so I hope no-one has posted this already...

Deconstructing the Elements with 3ds Max 6 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/024051954X/qid=1128215696/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5299114-7959267?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Pete Draper, is a fantastic book on some of the more high end features of Max. It looks at all the elements, fire, earth, air, and water, and goes through methods of creating different effects with each one. For example, the fire section looks at all different types of fire, from how to create a candle flame, to a gas hob, to a flamethrower, even stuff like fireworks and hot coals. It's pretty similar in each section, going through the different aspects of that element.

What's nice about the book is that one, the results always look great, but they only use the features within the default Max package (no plugins), and two, every step in each tutorial, is split into what you need to do, and also why you're doing it. That last point is something that alot of tutorial books tend to miss out, that they don't explain why you're doing things, so it's nice to have everything spelled out so well here.

Anyway, i'll stop ranting. It's a good book, so I thought I should add it to the list.

BartW
11-24-2005, 10:15 AM
If you are thinking of buying the Max Bible, you might as well take a look at the Learning Max in 21 Days book, which is essentially the same info in much shorter form.

The one thing I don't like about the Bible is that it's written for a mixed audience, with far too much novice info for experienced users and vice versa - When I first bought that book (Bible 3.0) I found it very difficult to actually understand half of the info I was reading, because the book wants you to learn everything about one subject in one go, instead of working more on a project basis.
As a refference guide I found it to be virtually useless and clumsy to use often and quickly.
Was able to find as much with that 21 Days book, which easily fits into my pocket ;)

r_mc_gowan
12-12-2005, 11:26 PM
have you guys/girls got any recommendations on visual effects books for max ( 7,8 ) ???
phocusing on advanced to professional??

DoubleSupercool
12-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Deconstructing the elements by Pete Draper is great, as is his website: http://www.xenomorphic.co.uk

JoeBananas
01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Great idea for a thread!

This is going to save me loads of hassle :)

Xsub
02-14-2006, 05:31 AM
have you guys/girls got any recommendations on visual effects books for max ( 7,8 ) ???
phocusing on advanced to professional??

Yes, im hoping to purchase an (autodesk) 3ds max 8 book, highlighting the new features, but also importantly with a bunch of tutorials from beginning to advanced levels.

Even though i have been involved with 3d a lot in my life, i took it as a hobby and haven't seriously thought about it as a career, but now ( im 18, gettin' old ) I want a book to sit down with, because i dislike reading text on the monitor, plus its not very comfy, you get the drift!

thanks.

golgoj4
02-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Hello, im new around here and I was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations on books for max 8. I learning it in concert with another program (sketchup) mainly for architectural modeling and there are some concepts I need some help on. Any help is appreciated.

imgumbydammit
06-10-2006, 06:20 PM
re: max 8 architectural books

I just purchased this as an e-book from these folks http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590595572 haven't really had the time to get beyond simply perusing through it but I've read good reviews...
also 3dquakers has some fair architectural base tutorials as does evermotion

HTH

IGD

badboy2
08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
I have purchased the 3dsmax7 bible book, but, it haven't the CD include, so , anyone have the CD could share it? Or anybody want to barter usedbook with the DVD trainning or software, let me know or pm me.

lehmi
10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
really helpful thread an nice idea

some more spaced between the lines would be very helpful
it's very crowded and the list looks unorganized

thanks anyway

Snikske
10-14-2006, 12:00 PM
re: max 8 architectural books

I just purchased this as an e-book from these folks http://www.friendsofed.com/book.html?isbn=1590595572 haven't really had the time to get beyond simply perusing through it but I've read good reviews...
also 3dquakers has some fair architectural base tutorials as does evermotion

HTH

IGD

i have this book too, its a good book with an overview of every aspect, but if you have a good basics of 3dstudio, you won't be learning something new. (maybe thats why it is called 'foundation' :))

AnimG
05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Anybody got these (my wishlist)

1) 3ds Max 9 Essentials: Autodesk Media and Entertainment Courseware
http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/0240809084/ref=s9_asin_image_3/202-5706045-8559855?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=0KKANZK8TWVB51D4TW5R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=139288991&pf_rd_i=468294

2) Realistic Architectural Visualization with 3ds Max and Mental Ray
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0240809122/ref=ord_cart_shr/202-5706045-8559855?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

3) Rendering with Mental Ray and 3ds Max (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0240808932/ref=ord_cart_shr/202-5706045-8559855?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLEOpinions please?

Thanks
Anim

Z89
05-12-2007, 04:44 PM
1. 3ds Max Lighting (WordwareGGL) - Nicholas Boughen ISBN 1-55622-401-X
Is a very good book about all kinds of max lights and shadows and also includes an introductory section on real world and CG lighting.Good for both beginners and experienced ppl.

2. Digital Lighting & Rendering, Second Edition (New Riders) - Jeremy Birn
ISBN0-321-31631-2

Another nice title must read for those who have completed the basics...IMO.

on a side note, do u recommend any good book about Texturing and Materials, I m mainly looking somthing which deals with conjugation of Max and photoshop.
(http://forums.cgsociety.org/)

Robsk
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
"Game Character Modelling and Animation with 3ds Max" - Focal Press

3d World reviewed this a while ago and they were not very impressed. Largely, I'd agree - the book is disappointing in my opinion, for several reasons. It revolves around the completion of one tutorial, which goes through the process of creating a character, texturing it, rigging it and then importing it into the game Unreal Tournament 2004. Why he went down a game specific route, I'm not sure of, but I guess it is to demonstrate the kind of process required. The author suggests it will take some time but the content is actually not that tome consuming, unless you are a total beginner. Thankfully, I'm not too far beyond that stage, so it does have some benefits - the spline modelling section and UV unwrap tutorials are actually quite good for people who still struggle with understanding some of these methods. Still, even I can tell that the final model is lacking, partially because it doesn't match up to the supposed aims of the concept sketch - also because it is maybe *too* low poly, given that the games engines of today - and indeed of 2004 - are able to handle much more. Even for UT2004, given what I can tell, it looks like a pretty amateurish first attempt. The final model, even with its low poly count and so on, has a stupid square head for no apparent reason and fairly poor texturing. A shame.

Plus points - Good for novices. Decent introduction to some concepts. Decent introduction to spline modelling etc

Negative points - Poor choice of tutorial subject. Limited scope. Very game specific. Pitched too low - given the techniques demonstrated the aspirations could have been far higher

In conclusion, it's a worthy buy for someone who is very new and / or definately wants to get into game character modelling NOW, but to be honest I can't see it has much appeal beyond that.

sk1llfull
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Very good book!There are many tips and techniques.In my opinion its 5 star book!

url: http://letitbit.net/download/c3748d491132/Sybex.Inc.Matchmoving.The.Invisible.Art.of.Camera.Tracking.ISBN0782

sk1llfull
08-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Very good book!There are many tips and techniques.In my opinion its 5 star book!

http://letitbit.net/download/c3748d491132/Sybex.Inc.Matchmoving.The.Invisible.Art.of.Camera.Tracking.ISBN0782

JeffPatton
10-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Poly-Modeling with 3ds Max: Thinking Outside of the Box (Focal Press)

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Modeling-3ds-Max-Thinking-Outside/dp/0240810929/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223384510&sr=8-47

This book is a collection of tips, tricks and techniques on how to create professional models for advertising on T.V and the web. The author has tons of industry experience using Max toward this end, and he shares the secrets of his trade. As Production Modeler for some of today's hottest studios (including GuerillaFx, Coke Zero, MTV, Old Navy, Nike, Target, HP) Todd Daniele brings real-world experience to the book. Daniele teaches the technical aspects of polymodeling, while showing how to ultimately create content in a dynamic, efficient manner.

dunkelzahn
12-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi everybody, I´m looking for character Studio-specific resources (I´m using Max 2008/2009), be they DVD´s or books. Up until now I´ve been using Paul Maestris range of very good character animation books as well as the usual Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams. However I´d like to expand my knowledge of CS´s range of possibilities for rigging and animating.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

iriska280789
10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
There is a huge list of books in the top of the topic, anyone can find all he need

ooberandy
01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm looking at improving my lighting & materials skills, as they are pretty basic. Is the list of books still valid for working with Max 2011 or are there any newer books that I should be looking out for?

Kenzor
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Digital Lighting Rendering by Jeremy-Birn (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Lighting-Rendering-Jeremy-Birn/dp/0321316312/ref=pd_sim_b_3) is still a good foundation in how to treat light,

Rendering with Mental Ray in 3dsMax (http://www.amazon.com/Rendering-mental-Autodesk-Entertainment-Techniques/dp/0240812379/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302950981&sr=1-1) by Steen and Boardman . Is very good at leading you through the technical processes.

Decency
07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
So many great links in here, thanks everyone!