PDA

View Full Version : Character: Boris Karloff

Splurgus
06-17-2003, 08:35 PM
I think I am done with him. Please tell me what you think of it. Lost a lot during jpeg compression:shrug:

Splurgus
06-18-2003, 09:57 AM
100+views and no replies. You guys must see a lot of heads here or this just sucks bad.

rrobert
06-18-2003, 10:03 AM
uhm, try gining him hair and putting him in a scene.. Make the picture life. Give the character an expression. That might help.. Good luck! Then you will get more replies! :thumbsup:

(don't forget to put you thread to > 3d WIPS, okay?) :p

xynaria
06-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Sorry if this sounds harsh .. but this looks very far from finished and I'd like to hope it isn't because although it's got got some bits working as a basis, there's a long way to go before you've acheived what this, and you, might be capable of.
There's an element of 'him' there in the look and the mouth but the texturing isn't helping anything, nor is the lack of hair, or the 'composition'.
I'd be tempted to alter your perception of it to that of a WIP and then see how far you can take it. :)

Splurgus
06-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Straightmark: Guess I am not done yet then.

xynaria : Not harsh at all, exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. Can I ask you to be more precise on the "texturing not helping"? And can I ask the mods to please move this back to WIP or do I delete this and repost in WIPs?

Please, I need more input, this is how I learn.

skywisenight
06-18-2003, 01:31 PM
One thing with the texturing is that his head is really red. (it rhymes!) And the light on his left might be a bit too bright too... and the previous comments too :p

DOMINICHI
06-18-2003, 02:40 PM
i think you are missing a big trick here, I remember seeing frankenstein posters with very menacing lighting. Try to uplight his face to give mush more drama.

Splurgus
06-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the comments.
skywisenight : The main light is red. I tried a red light from below to bring out the dark warm brooding feeling but it's prolly too much.

DOMINICHI : I agree it is the lighting that ruins it. I will try other setups. Thanks.

xynaria
06-18-2003, 03:12 PM
I think at the moment you need to define what it is you want to do with it because it looks like a stab at portraiture whilst only going a little along the route. It also doesn't seem to know whether it wants to be a portraiture of Karloff the man or Karloff in character in this case presumably from 'The Mummy', by which time he was already approx 45 whereas your face has him looking rather like someone far younger

On the whole there are areas that are defined and areas that are undecided and the texturing also looks undecided....it's very basic and far too red with it's only concession to 'texture' evidenced here being what looks to be a procedural noise bump.
Work out what you want to do with it, get as good a reference as you possibly can, then have fun playing around with it.. try creating spec maps fall offs etc and start to give it some life... you've got a reasonable -ish base to start from and a fascinating subject visually and characterwise.. but by choosing that your work is always going to be compared one way or another, with the real thing. :)

DOMINICHI
06-18-2003, 03:16 PM
i hope this link will help you, ofcoarse its only a suggestion.
http://www.seahaas.com/thepit/frankarl.gif

Silvexil
06-18-2003, 04:22 PM
I agree with most that was said about texturing and lighting, but i do think the charecter is good and i like the expression especially the mouth. over all i think it;s great, but needs more work, so don;t abandon him.....

Splurgus
06-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Thank you.
The aim of the piece was to convey the "dark energy" some actors (e.g. Boris, John Malcovich, Christopher Walken, Jack Nicholson) seem to radiate while remaining somewhat expressionless. I did create a full set of texture layers (frankly I wouldn't waste space on CGTalk if I didn't), but they don't show under the lighting/they need work. The mesh is solid (no tri's, loops are good), so I will keep it, I think, but I will redo the rest and make more of him.
Thank you for your objective input, I appreciate it.

Phrace
06-19-2003, 12:37 PM
you should add a third spotlight to get some light to that dark spot on his face...but really just al little light...low intensity...
otherwise I think it's a good start...nice character...keep it up...

to get more replies...just linking your image so it's imediatly visible would be a good start I think...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.