PDA

View Full Version : BOLT :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
11-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey there,

DISNEY/PIXAR have come out to talk about the rigging for Rhino, this brand new character that almost steals the show in the newly released BOLT. Click on the image to read the piece, and come back to comment. And please DIGG (http://digg.com/movies/Pixar_Bolt_VFX_revealed) the read.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/bolt_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4801)

Grgeon
11-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Good read. Great job Clay on Rhino. Really enjoyed that character. I'm a fan of your work and your animation podcasts.

-George

Matasorapit
11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Great read, inspirational. Cheers.

SeanJM
11-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't get me wrong here. The article was nice, but it was a bit fluffy and light on anything useful.

Sil3
11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I was expecting at least some screenshots of the Rhino Rig... unfortunatly I have to agree that this Production Focus are very very poor for a dedicated forum like this one. :shrug:

Larry_g1s
11-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I enjoyed the read & looking to see the movie tomorrow with the family. I'm a fan of Clay and his AnimationPodcast (http://www.animationpodcast.com) site, check it out if you already haven't. You gotta remember, they said the rig technology is still being patent, maybe that's why they couldn't really show anything.

TheSoracle
11-27-2008, 10:31 PM
man, this movie looks wicked. I love reading about the studio and how they work. I started watching the Pixar Story, on the Wall-E DVD Special features. Thats really good for more in depth information.

PaulHellard
11-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi,

Guys, sometimes you have to work with what is publicly available and not expect Disney/Pixar to allow us to post screengrabs of Patent-Pending technology on a public website. An indepth interview with Clay and John not enough for you?
Sheesh!:scream:

I was expecting at least some screenshots of the Rhino Rig... unfortunatly I have to agree that this Production Focus are very very poor for a dedicated forum like this one. :shrug:

Wirebird
11-28-2008, 03:04 AM
...this Production Focus are very very poor for a dedicated forum like this one. :shrug:

I strongly disagree, I find it to be a very interesting and inspiring read.

RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Hey Paul thanks for the acool article.

-R

arneltapia
11-28-2008, 04:47 AM
Now I know that it takes 62 people to handle just the Bolt character. :thumbsup: Or maybe just a trade secret hehe.

Ammarkk
11-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Hummmm, very Interesting article, Thank you paul.

Ac0rN
11-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Nice read, I really wanna see the movie :)

HellBoy
11-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I really wanna see their rig setup :buttrock:

DanHaffner
11-28-2008, 10:10 PM
I really enjoyed he article, but I was more interested in the rig then all the fluff the article covered. Sure once the movie comes out we will get to see all the technical behind the scenes stuff.

Riptcage
11-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Great read, great movie. I saw it on thanksgiving night.
Good to hear about team effort making it awesome. Teamwork is everything.

frogchild
11-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I was really was impressed, much better then I thought it would be.

FistOfGod
11-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Just saw the movie today and wanted to say congrats to all involved. It was a great movie and I'm going to have to snag the DVD when it is available.

Take care!

Waylon

thethule
12-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I was really was impressed, much better then I thought it would be.

Agreed, it was very very good. The animation was spot on, the comedy wasnt cheesy, no pop culture references, no dancing animals...really really good film. And the 3d glasses were great! Subtle effect, but worked a treat.

Marc

BigPixolin
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Movie was awesome.
What are all these 3d movies going to do after they leave the theater?
Buying the dvd seems pointless to me without the 3d.
Parts of Bolt were awesome in 3d but will be totally cheesy in 2d. Like the eye lasers to the syringe in the end.

ninth_level_dan
12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
was that article about Rhino? Because all I saw was press release pictures of Bolt.

did I expect to get a downloadable proprietary rig of the character? No... but for crying out loud, you could have at least shown some stills of the character that the article is discussing.
Not even a wireframe?

that was a promotional fluff piece.
And that's fine, I don't have a problem with that. But don't try to pass it off as a nuts-and-bolts article about character rigging.

Zerflag
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
a coworker just got a bluray with lame 3d glasses.... apparantly it was just that, lame.
as for bolt, i saw it in 2d, and while the occasional 3d gags seemed a little odd in 2d, it was still a very enjoyable movie.
great job to everyone who worked on it.
as for the article, it had some interesting information in it and was an enjoyable read, but the press release images did seem out of place.

Djampa
12-05-2008, 05:14 PM
thanks for article, nice reading, amazing work at Disney.
I think Lasseter will add a new mantra besides the 'it's all about the story'... will be ' it's all about the team ' ... ;)

Great to know about.

Cheers

Imagus
12-05-2008, 06:53 PM
For me, this article was a very interesting read, from a couple of angles.

First, the fact that there was patent-pending technology introduced that solved a relatively low-visibility problem was very interesting to me. A lot of times, the technological advances that make headlines are those that the audience can see - for example, Toy Story being a the first full-length 3D-animated feature film. However, many of the most significant changes are often those that happen behind the scenes. In this case, the need to revamp an entire rig methodology to solve a problem that saved tons of time and effort for the production staff, but wasn't really front-and-center on the screen was, at least to me, a great insight into the kind of work that goes into creating films of this scale. And it's happened before - I remember Geri's Game, and the emphasis on the new subdivision surface technology that was the technical focus of the film. Back then, I was far less familiar with 3D, and I remember not really "getting" the tech, but enjoying the film. Years later, when I was far more familiar with the concepts, I finally understood the film's technological impact. This new rig methodology strikes me as very similar to that.

The other thing that was very interesting was the part of the article that addressed the changes that John Lasseter has made at Disney Feature Animation. I know that I, as well as many others, were most concerned about his influence on the storytelling process - and that is addressed. However, the restructuring and re-focusing of the creative energies in the department on an administrative level was something I hadn't really considered. It lent a bit of insight into the way that John Lasseter and company have been able to maintain the creative energies at Pixar as successfully as they have. Once again, it's truly behind-the-scenes changes that movie-goers may not ever even hear about that drive an aspect of the film - in this case, creative development and storytelling.

I can understand why some might be disappointed by the lack of truly in-depth tech talk, and I can definitely agree that seeing the rig itself or possibly more shots of Rhino would be great, but I certainly wouldn't call the article a "fluff" piece - I was able to take quite a bit away from it. And even if I wasn't able to see exactly how the rig was set up, the concepts presented gave me food for thought. If I, or a fellow TD, was facing a similar challenge, I might refer back to the article for a starting point to begin coming up with a solution of my own.

Just my impressions/two cents, but I greatly enjoyed reading the article, and am (still) looking forward to seeing the movie.

zukezuko
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
pixar pls provide us a rig, im willing to pay for it you know ;p

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.