PDA

View Full Version : Sloooooooow! Don't know why?

HotShoe
11-27-2008, 02:56 AM
I recently bought the 9.3 upgrade and a car model from 3d02 to try and experiment a little. to my dismay modeler runs so slow when I load the object that I can't even adjust the viewport angle/position without a serious lag. It's so bad it's not even manageable. You can't even zoom in or out.

The model is a Ferrari FXX by Squire(@400,000 polys) and I'm running Lightwave 9.3 on a dual 2.5 G5 with 8 gigs of ram. Am I missing something or is it my machine? I also tried working with another 3ds car that I imported and it is a little better but still frustratingly slow.

It's gotten to the point I can't even try working with it because it would take all day to do the simplest thing. Not what I had in mind at all. Any ideas?

Happy Thanksgiving anyways!

HotShoe
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
No ideas? I'm really stuck here. Maybe I'll call Newtek and see what they say. I just tried working on it again and it's just impossible.

calilifestyle
12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Well maybe its the car you bought. so its hard to say. if you make a box let say, with equal pollys does your system slow down.

fishhead
12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Hmm, maybe it has lots of layers?!?
If I am not mistaken, most of these meshes are originally 3dsmax. We had several cases of "foreign" meshes where we cut everything and just paste it in one layer and then merge - usually you get rid of tons of loose polygons that way... Or just perform a merge on the mesh first after it has loaded up, i.e. all layers active - that way it should only merge all points on a given layer.
Does that make sense?

HotShoe
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Lots of layers might be the culprit. I have two models. One was a 3ds format and one is a .LWO. The 3ds version isn't as bad but there are only two layers. The LWO model has a boat load of layers.

Thanks for the input. Fishhead, I'll try your method because it seems logical that is the solution. I have a vague idea what you are talking about but I can lok it up. I'm such a rookie that I have to work with a book open next to me so I can look up every move! ;)

I appreciate all the comments.

fishhead
12-04-2008, 09:43 AM
well, I try to explain:

when you load the object up first time you most likely have all layers active (i.e. marked yellow)

what you could do is A: just hit "m" for merge, leave automatic in the merge-requestor active and hit return - this should combine all vertices at the exact same position per layer. this already could be helpful as you get rid of possibly tons of points.

if that doesn`t help chances are that you have so many active layers that modeler has a hard time to manage all the internal sorting of things to get you a proper display performance...
If this is so you can still (still: after loading the object up and having all layers active) in polygon selection mode, hit "ctrl-c" and choose "new object" from the menu and hit ctrl-v and paste everything from the clipboard (the whole combined mess of polygons) into a layer of that new object - that might take a while in the first but afterwards it might speed modelers performance up. Hitting "m" now again might also help a lot...

Of course you probably would have to do quite a lot of clean-up :-\ - like sorting the object by surfaces, parts, connected polygons etc - dividing it up again in fewer layers as you need them - all that...

HotShoe
12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Sorry for the late "thank you" Fishhead. I've been away for work so I haven't had a chance to try your fix. I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I really, really appreciate your incredibly helpful response.

tfortier
12-13-2008, 05:08 AM
what video card in the G5? 400 000 polys start to be slower to select and move around on my Duo2core 3ghz with 8600gt. G5 are way older than my comp then no surprise if its painful! Try breaking the model or use polygon reduction.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2008, 05:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.