PDA

View Full Version : UI in a window vs. UI in a panel

Octagon
06-17-2003, 06:04 PM
hi there,

i wonder if its possible to script interfaces that are easily displayed in a scripted panel.
i know its possible to just parent layouts to scripted panel without further hassle (e.g. attrCollection.mel)

BUT
for some reason scripted panels dont seem to like interfaces including mel picture statements or complex interfaces in general.
Maybe im doing something wrong.

A screenshot of the window id like to integrate in a scripted panel is attached.

Btw, does anyone know about any good panel resources besides Bryan Ewerts tutorial and attrCollection.mel?

Thx, Id appreciate any help with this!
matthias

CaptainSam
06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Theres no reason you shouldnt be able to put that gui in a scriptedPanel. My only advice is that you bang your head against the keyboard until you figure it out; scriptedPanels are difficult as hell to get started with.

If you could explain exactly where things start breaking apart, maybe I can help. But its a huge subject

Scandell
06-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Dude that GUI looks awesome! I am just learning mel scripting now...so i know how hard/frustrating it is to build an organized GUI like that. wow. Do you have any tutorials or tips on making such wonderful looking GUIs. I would love to check out the skeleton of your code for a window like that. (for educational purposes)

Cheers mate

Octagon
06-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Scandell
Dude that GUI looks awesome! I am just learning mel scripting now...so i know how hard/frustrating it is to build an organized GUI like that. wow. Do you have any tutorials or tips on making such wonderful looking GUIs. I would love to check out the skeleton of your code for a window like that. (for educational purposes)

Cheers mate

CaptainSam: Thx for you help. Maybe i'll get back to you when I find the time to make a panel version. Right now the window works so fine I'd rather imporve other things with the auto rigger, not the ui.

scandell:
thx for your kind works. but i cannot offer any kind of tutorial on that. just an advice: study other scripts, when you like their interface. and try to focus on some controls for you ui, don't use all of them.
it helps the clarity of your interfaces when you develop kind of like a style guide for your specific script or all your scripts. (it will also help your speed in writing interfaces when you can copy&paste layouts, e.g. main window layouts that are identical for a lot of scripts).

what you put where on you interface is a completely different issue, but it's even more important that to just find a "nice" layout for your controls (in my optinion)

btw, my autorigger will be released at some point the next few months. after all i need to show off my works if i'm to find a job. it's just not at a point, where i'd like to release it.

you'll hear the bang ;)

matthias

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.