06-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Our company is hiring. :)

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70134

leigh
06-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Wow, no overtime :surprised

Remi
06-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Sounds like a nice job...I don't get overtime either....do others around here get overtime....i'm on salary so regardless of how many hours I put in I get paid the same....but do others get paid overtime if they're on salary...just curious.:)

PolyMangler
06-17-2003, 08:05 PM
thanks for the heads up, where is this job at?

timsvw
06-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Remi

I don't get paid for overtime either. Currently I am working a ton a hours on a 1/2 hour childrens dvd but it is a lot of fun.

-Tim

aurora
06-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Steve, where is the company at? I lived 1 mile west of Sabino High School on Bear Crk Dr. I also have a brother that lives up in Chandler/Mesa and would love to come back down there.

Cman
06-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Is it Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson,Ariz?

Mike RB
06-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Ha! There is even a law here that says High-tech companys DONT have to pay overtime. Its a business incentive.

Mike

DarkLight
06-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Hi Remi,

Don't get paid overtime here either, and when it's busy in work i can often work between 10-20 hours overtime a week :thumbsdow

Steve,
I wish this job was in the uk, sounds like a very cushy job :drool:

robinson
06-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey Steve

I'm german can I apply too ? :D
You know it's 11:30 am over here again, and this 4:30 pm sounds just toooooooooooooo great ! :love:

Steve Warner
06-17-2003, 10:25 PM
i'm on salary so regardless of how many hours I put in I get paid the same....
Actually when I say there's no overtime, I mean that you'll never have to work overtime. :thumbsup: I ran my own graphic design / video post production studio for 10 years. And I worked about 80 hours per week on average. When deadlines hit, it wasn't unusual for me to work 16-18 hours per day. Now I work 8 hours a day. 40 hours per week. And I never work weekends or evenings. :)

Here's a little more info on the job opening:

Our company is located at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base (Cman, you guessed it!) in Tucson, Arizona. We are a small branch of a larger corporation that provides simulation systems to the government.

Recently, one of our Graphic Artists developed Leukemia. She went into the hospital to receive Chemotherapy and is currently in remission. Her position with the company is secure. But we need someone to fill in while she recovers so that we don't fall behind in our product development.

Our current contract with the Air Force ends in October. At that time, we will likely be hiring an additional Graphic Artist. That means that this temporary position could become a permanent one this fall. But there are no guarantees.

The work consists of developing graphics and animations for our Computer Based Training programs. Its a fancy way of saying web development. :) There's a lot of Photoshop and Illustrator work. And in the past, we've done a lot of Flash animations. But as we refine our curriculum, we are increasing the amount of 3D work as it facilitates the learning process for difficult concepts. 3D work accounts for about 15% of our overall workload. But when the new contract hits, I expect that to double or even tripple.

Our ideal candidate would be a professional CG artist with a solid knowledge of print design (including the basics of web development), in addition to a thorough grounding in 3D. At the bare minimum they should know how to model and do basic keyframe animations.

The work is interesting but just to be clear, it's a graphics position, not an animation position. We don't really do any character work and rigging isn't something I expect to see in the near future. Still, you can't beat the pay (about $54,000 per year), the hours, the fee gym access, and the benefits. :)

So that's about it. If you're in the area, we're looking to hire immediately.

Oh, and this is slightly off topic, but this is what you'll see each day as you leave work:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/sleepingGiants/index.shtml

Thanks for all the replies! It would be great if one of our own could fill the position. :wavey:

Take care,

Steve

DarkLight
06-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Steve Warner
Now I work 8 hours a day. 40 hours per week. And I never work weekends or evenings. :)

Still, you can't beat the pay (about $54,000 per year), the hours, the fee gym access, and the benefits. :)

That's it steve, rub it in :annoyed:

Steve Warner
06-17-2003, 10:44 PM
:) DarkLight, if I wanted to rub it in I would have told you that we get every Federal holiday off (paid, of course), that every other month we throw a huge party at work where we eat until we pass out, and that each Friday our boss brings in doughnuts. :drool:

Oh, wait! Now I am rubbing it in. Sorry! ;) :cool: :D

Remi
06-17-2003, 11:22 PM
My work sounds alot like yours Steve...i'm just here all the time so I don't spend that money I make....hehe...I put in 40 a week at work and 40 a week for fun...hehe...i'm a junkie damn it:D

powerwave3d
06-18-2003, 12:34 AM
I've got a question about your requirements. Maybe you can shed some light on a subject that really bothers me. Because I see it more and more these days, especially with creative jobs in the art field.
One of your requirements is the applicant must have a college degree.
To me that makes no sense if the person can perform the job function. Now, I could understand if someone was applying for somekind of art director/management position.
Before I get flamed, we aren't talking about being a doctor or anything specialized like that, we are talking about creating creative content, which can be created by anyone with the talent and desire.
I'm not attacking you personally. I see this within the company I work for. They want an applicant to have a 4yr art degree to make posters/brochures, etc.
I was going to art school but I was so dang bored with the assignments and knew more than the teacher did I spent most of my time sitting there thinking about how I could be spending my time learning a lot more on my own than I could listening to them.
I could see how going to a really popular top notch school could have its benefits and it's always a good thing to have a degree, but in the creative content field I just don't understand why it's a requirement by some companies.
If I'm way off topic I apologize. I don't want to start a "should I go to school type thread". I think school is very valuable, well the right school anyways.
I'm through venting, thanks for listening:)

anieves
06-18-2003, 12:50 AM
I would apply only if I get to fly one of those planes :drool:

CourtJester
06-18-2003, 01:07 AM
I agree with Powerwave's sentiment to a high degree.... :rolleyes: (sorry couldn't resist)

However, while I have no idea about the particulars of Steve's situation and am not commenting about it specifically, the reason you see this requirement can be summed up in three little letters: CYA.

In the case of large corporations, and small companies that deal with large, heavy-handed clients (like oh, say, the government), the hiring individual is forced to do things in the bureaucratic way.

The bureaucratic way, in a nutshell, consists of doing things not for the purpose of getting anything done, but to ensure that one's own ass isn't in a sling should the hire backfire. The way to do that is to make "safe" hiring decisions according to accepted standards. Hiring someone with a degree is safer than hiring a whiz-bang artist without one, simply because the individual involved could simply point to the degree as evidence that he did things "by the book".

Smaller companies not stuck with such clients, and any company that is well run and/or permits some leeway to its HR staff, is more likely to overlook such details if you can otherwise show your kickassedness.

That being said, the allocation of raises is often determined by similar standards, so even if you do get the job, the lack of the degree can still slow down your advance.

Now that the supply of journeyman level graphics people has outstripped demand somewhat, companies are getting pickier, and are now settling into the more "checklisty" way of hiring that has been the way in "old" industry for many decades.

The field is also maturing, and as its body of knowledge grows, education in the field cannot help but become more important. Look at the change in the requirements for doing one computer game, as an example -- from one guy spending a month in his garage with his Commodore 64, to 2-4 years for a team of 80 people with a budget of $20 million is quite a leap. (Duke Nukem "Took" Forever is a skewed data point.) Now, suddenly, things like project management skills matter.

And don't get me started about degrees and U.S. immigration :annoyed:

So, the whole thing about degrees is simply this: It's a useless piece of paper, unless you don't have one.

Meaty
06-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Does a security clearance help?

Shade01
06-18-2003, 01:53 AM
*sigh* I have no demo reel

zuzzabuzz
06-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Yeah... the degree thing could be a long long thread in itself ( i agree with the previous posts...since I still am working on my degree and it's a liability until i've got one).
I'm over in Albuquerque, and also don't have a demo reel. If you guys were only closer... and if only I was more qualified...or at least provably qualified. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the enticements, it really hurt! :p (just kidding)
My job is development with zero chance of artistic release..unless I'm sprucing up a GUI.
I doodle in 3d in between projects to feel better at work.

Triple G
06-18-2003, 04:11 AM
Why oh why must I live in the cursed state of CT? *sigh*...back to looking for local work before I end up living out of a cardboard box on the streetcorner...:annoyed:

Steve Warner
06-18-2003, 04:23 AM
aurora: We're here in Tucson. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Remi: Yeah, I understand. I often end my day at working on Lightwave and then head straight home to, well... work on Lightwave some more. :)

powerwave3d and CourtJester: I agree with you both. And CourtJester hit it squarely on the head. However I will say this. The one thing I got from college was a well-rounded group of classes. I never would have taken Latin as a foreign language or Mind, Matter and God - The Philosophy of Religion, or even Art History had I not been at a University. While I thought those classes were useless at the time, they have helped shape me into the person I am today, and they influence everything I do.

anieves: Would you settle for flying one of our multi-million $$$ simulators? We've got two in the basement hooked up to 8 SGI machines. :)

Meaty: A security clearance is essential. You don't need one to apply, but you'll need to be granted one in order to keep your job. :surprised

Shade01 and zuzzabuzz: A demo reel isn't that important for this position. The main thing is to be able to wield Photoshop like a fiend and handle the random 3D requests that come your way. :thumbsup:

Triple G: You could always relocate for the next four months! :rolleyes: :wip:

Thanks for all the comments, guys. If any of you know someone in the area who you could recommend (or if you're in the neighborhood yourself) please let me know.

Cheers!

Steve

Shade01
06-18-2003, 05:47 AM
No overtime is awesome! At my last job, I once worked over 190 hours over a two week period, once worked 60 hours in 3 days straight and 60-70 hour work weeks were more common than not. No overtime is awesome!!!! I mean it!!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.