PDA

View Full Version : Rotoscoping the way to go?

ThreeD
11-26-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm looking at some movie clip of a little cat that is about 5 seconds long. I want to cut the cat out of the footage and put it onto a white background. What's the best and easiest method to get that done? Rotoscoping in AE? Adobe Premier? AE with Mocha in CS4?

All feedback is appreciated :)
Thanks

lebada
11-26-2008, 07:46 PM
i only use shake but unless the cats on a plain color background (think against a wall of 1 color) roto is the way to go. tedious..but..u know the drill.

ThreeD
11-27-2008, 08:40 PM
i only use shake but unless the cats on a plain color background (think against a wall of 1 color) roto is the way to go. tedious..but..u know the drill.

thanks Buggy. I haven't used Shake, but the cat is black/white on a grey background. I'll just play around with the rotoscoping options and hopefully something good comes out of it.

scrimski
11-27-2008, 09:09 PM
You might luma key it. Cut above and below the luma value of the background.

Makaze
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah, if there is strong contrast between the cat and the background, try a luma key (or maybe a part of the cat can be keyed).
Otherwise, I really like roto in AE (way better than Shake in my opinion). Not being able to get rid of the bezier handles in Shake is really frustrating. So I'd stick to AE (I have not used Mocha though, maybe even better).

ThreeD
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks guys, I'll take a closer look at the luma key option. I've played around with various alternatives now, hopefully luma keying it will give the best results :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.