PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk flying machine

chewedon
11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm not entering the Steampunk challenge, I'll just be embarrasing myself. I wanted to try this topic, it's very interesting :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/Ryu_Kaiser/flying_machine-1.jpg

Details are lacking don't you think ?

Some influence from Final Fantasy flying machines :P (notice the 4 fans aren't fully connected, they're connected by "magic" :P)

Thanks for looking :)

BUZZFX
11-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Clement, hi, that looks pretty good! Hey why not enter the Challenge just to challenge yourself! I may enter as it forces me to be disciplined and work harder. :)

chewedon
11-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not going to win the competition even if I did enter. I'm satisfied already.

Thanks for the looking Lorne :)

BraveWing
11-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Nice work! How you render it? With yafray??

chewedon
11-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Normal renderer + approximate ambient occlusion.

FreakyDude
11-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm not going to win the competition even if I did enter. I'm satisfied already.

There's something wrong with that state of thinking. See, if you only enter to win, you would have to be quite confident on your skills, and the contest has next to nothing to teach you. The only goal would be the prize. And since you can never be sure you'd win, I'd be a waste of time and you're better of spending time on something that actually pays of to begin with. It's not about the prize at the end of the road, not even about the end of the road itself, but the road to that end. The things and new skills you learn along the way.

Contests like these are good to push your own skills. You shouldn't enter these kind of challenges only to win. That's why they call them "challenges".

and fyi, I don't know for this cg challenge so far, but there have been a lot of lesser entries for previous challenges than your work so far.

The only reason why your steampunk idea might not "fly" is because it has no link, or I'm not seeing it, to the THEME of the contest.
It's about steampunk "MYTH'S AND LEGENDS".

what myth or legend is your machine about?

CyborgDragon
11-30-2008, 05:46 PM
It reminds me of the Beetles "Yellow Submarine". Hippies made America bad because of all the drug use.
I still like your picture though. Maybe you could add an anti drug slogan or something to make it so that people with morals can enjoy your work too.
I like yellow things in general. I have a yellow bicycle and a yellow helmet too.

FreakyDude
11-30-2008, 06:39 PM
CD, leave your moral code out of this please. Not everyone shares your views, and you have a habit of trying to enforce yours upon others.

It's not uncommon for you to be quite offensive and insulting to others when doing so, you have a record for doing that at blenderartists, please don't continue that habit over here.

I'm sure you ment no harm with your post, but when you see a yellow submarine from a beatle song in it for instance, doesn't instantly classify it as immoral, or targeted at immoral people.

CyborgDragon
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
At Blender artists I can speak my mind because I am Goofsters cousin. I have no relatives here. I have to remind myself when posting in other forums that I do not have the same immunity. Thank you for the warning.I dont want to get into trouble here.

CGTalk Moderation
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.