PDA

View Full Version : still : lego car rerendered

hannibar
06-17-2003, 04:15 PM
I rerendered an old model in yafray to test a few new features. Imo it looks much better than the original.

here is a 640-480 sucky compression version.
a 1024-768 link is underneath the picture (larger download)

http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/lego_final4.jpg
1024-768 version http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/lego_final3.jpg

if you want to see how the original looked like : heres the link
http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/lego_final2.jpg

skywisenight
06-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Yeah man! It does look way better! Although I don't know if the grain really benifits this picture in any particular way. Maybe put the scene on a table too or the floor, so it just doesn't drop off at the edge of the grey lego ground piece. It would really add to the sense of reality...
Anyway, looks real good

hannibar
06-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah man! It does look way better! Although I don't know if the grain really benifits this picture in any particular way. Maybe put the scene on a table too or the floor, so it just doesn't drop off at the edge of the grey lego ground piece. It would really add to the sense of reality... Thanks for the comments on the enviroment. Next time I'll do such a project, I think I'll go for the indoor. Never done that before decently...
About the noise : sorry, but I just love noise. I know many people don't like noise so I didn't put to much in it. Normally the noise is way heavier...

Silvexil
06-17-2003, 08:34 PM
REAL Nice

Silvexil
06-17-2003, 08:35 PM
but Must Agree, Drop The noise!!!

Rei Ayanami
06-17-2003, 09:07 PM
I like it, and the noise doesnt bother me at all. good PR scene IMHO.

Viper
06-18-2003, 12:24 AM
How did you model that? Did you go over doing piece by piece in a 3D program or is there a Lego program that exports the models after they are done?

Anyway, Looks extremely nice dude! Cool stuff...and the noise looks good ;)

BenB
06-18-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Viper
How did you model that? Did you go over doing piece by piece in a 3D program or is there a Lego program that exports the models after they are done?

I've always wondered how people model legos too.

Nice job! :thumbsup:

Night
06-18-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by BenB
I've always wondered how people model legos too.

Same for me ;)

The render and model is pretty nice :thumbsup:

hannibar
06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
No, it's quite simple actually.
I modelled all the different lego pieces, and so actually built a library. The next thing I did is take the guide that comes with a lego model, and just start building like you would do with real legos. There are ofcourse a few complications, but they are easily solved.

LoTekK
06-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Wow, great work on the model and render. I'm doubly impressed by the fact that you hand modeled the lego parts.

You might want to check out , though. There are actually a couple of Lego CAD programs out there that come standard with huge libraries of Lego and Technics parts.

Fitharn
06-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Very nice. I actually like the noise. Gives the idea of a scanned photograph.

hannibar
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
You might want to check out http://www.ldraw.org/, though. There are actually a couple of Lego CAD programs out there that come standard with huge libraries of Lego and Technics parts. Thanks for the link, but no thanks. I prefer doing as much as possible myself. Gives me a lot more satisfaction.

harkyman
06-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Hey! I skipped this one at Elysiun because legos and cars both leave me saying feh. But I saw it here, so I figured I'd take a look.

Really nice. Mmmmm... the Yafray grain. I'm used to seeing it now, so it doesn't bother me. Cool modelling technique and a nice end result. Try rerendering with some transparent legos like that person did with the x-wing a while back. Show off the construction a bit.

Again, very cool.

Markuss
06-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Wow! This isn't the first time I see someone model a lego car (or something with Lego) in a 3D program, but it's easily the best Lego rendering I've seen so far. I didn't like the grain that much though.. Maybe a little too much. Try something in between. Is the grain from the renderer or is it added in post?

Anyways I've seen some great Vray renderings lately. Especially this one. It makes me want to check it out! :)

JA-forreal
06-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Now that's some set of legos. Love it. And the render time if I may ask Mr. hannibar? You are the Yafray master man.

JA-forreal
06-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Anyways I've seen some great Vray renderings lately. Especially this one. It makes me want to check it out!

Yeah photon lighting is beautiful. I hope the coders of these wonderful photon lighting raytrace renderers can get some better speed increases in the future. Well that's what render farms are for in the present time.

hannibar
06-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Wow! This isn't the first time I see someone model a lego car (or something with Lego) in a 3D program, but it's easily the best Lego rendering I've seen so far. I didn't like the grain that much though.. Maybe a little too much. Try something in between. Is the grain from the renderer or is it added in post?
Thanks! The grain was added in photoshop. Surprisingly there wasn't very much grain from the renderer, and since I just love grain, I added a bit in photoshop.
Now that's some set of legos. Love it. And the render time if I may ask Mr. hannibar? You are the Yafray master man.
I let it render overnight, so I don't know the exact time, but it must be about 2-3 hours. Considering that I used HDRI and high AA setting, I'm very pleased about the rendertime.

BiTMAP
06-22-2003, 09:29 PM
YOu can use the anti-noise filter in YafRAY and that leaves a very kool look too :D not grainy but very sharp and crisp :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.