PDA

View Full Version : Animation test: running, jumping, climbing, ...

csalvany
11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi all,

I've been recently working on this animation: it's a character that accelerates, runs, jumps, stops, and then does a sequence of actions in order to climb a building.

I did this as an exercise on tomb-raider-ish animations. (although I didn't want to make someone as agile as Lara)

I'd really thank any comments or advice you could give me.

http://vimeo.com/2358453 (http://vimeo.com/2351350)

UPDATED: The link is now the rendered sequence

csalvany
11-28-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd love to get some feedback/critique in order to improve.

nakimushi
12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Its too dark to judge / doing previews make sure we can see the character and animation ;)

don't like the run on the begining but the rest looks much better and you have some nice bits there/
best

AlexisV
12-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm agree, the run at the beginning looks strange. The legs are too open.

The second jump (at 12 seconds in the video) is kind of weird too, because, the girl just made a big jump which is practically impossible for humans, so with the second jump I thought she will make a big one to climb the building. To help that thought, the camera show us all the building. So when she finally make that jump, it looks so small. The animation is good, we can see the weight but it's just the choice of the jump. Maybe it would be more consistent if the small roof was higher or if the girl did not need her hands.

I like the animation in general ^^

csalvany
12-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your comments.

About the run in the beginning, I wanted to give the impression of a strong, not-completely-realistic acceleration by stepping with the legs wide open but it's true, it might look a bit weird.

I rendered the sequence, so it doesn't look dark at all anymore. You can check it at http://vimeo.com/2358453

drawallday
12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey, I liked the idea of animating the character from one area to other area seamlessly. That's the best part.

RingOFire2
12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Nice work. Ambitious!

I would say, in general, your work needs more follow through. Your animation has a pose to pose feel to it that is quite good at times and rough in others. But without sufficient over lap and follow through, you lose the weight of the character as they go through their motions. I hope this helps!

drawallday
12-09-2008, 01:44 PM
csalvany, what's your method to prevent the infamous feet sliding problem with walk/run cycles?

csalvany
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
csalvany, what's your method to prevent the infamous feet sliding problem with walk/run cycles?

Well, I used character studio on 3DMax (biped). The biped's feet can be setup to have "planted" and "slide" keys on different spots (toe end, toe start and heel), kind of like setting position constraints to the "world" (or a specific object) between certain frames. The same can work for hands, although it's quite more difficult to keep the fingers from sliding.

drawallday
12-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for a quick reply!

Yes, I have used that before (back in 2005). It works but bit complicated to begin with. Also limited to only humans.

I like to do it myself without depending on application add ons and plugins. My favorite method is to create a looping walk cycle on the spot and then move the character forward. I always get the sliding feet effect (unfortunately).

csalvany
12-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I began animating directly with character studio, so I got used to working with it. I believe it's a good pipeline to work with when animating for videogames, since technical issues limit the amount of bones you can use.

But then the biped feels a quite limited compared to a self-made character setup with squash and stretch bones, skin morphs, etc.

As for animating non-humans, as long as it's a quadruped you can adapt the skeleton to almost any animal shape. I'm planning on animating a centaur so I guess I'll have to do either mix a biped with a bone setup or make it directly from scratch.

drawallday
12-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I was thinking... according to my favorite method... avoiding feet sliding is possible. Just have to get the cycle and timing just right.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2008, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.