PDA

View Full Version : Countdown

Sieb
06-17-2003, 02:51 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-1017965.html?tag=fd_top

If you didn't know, SCO is launching a campaign to take back Unix that they claim is theirs only and everyone else is stealing it. Effective yesterday, everyone running mainframes or linux, are liable for lawsuit under infringment. It takes guts to go after IBM and the opensource community.

I don't know about you, but I work at a fairly large company during the day. Attacking the company saying their some dozen IBM AIX mainframes are running illegal software and should be terminated imediately.. Yea.. as if thats going to happen..

I give SCO a TOPS of 4 weeks or so.. IBM will let them run around with their heads cut off, hoping they will die off since IBM doesn't really care. Otherwise, if not, in 4 weeks or so, we will see total, or the beginnings of a hostile takover by IBM to shut them up. Which, if you think about it, is probably the whole point behind all this, SCO is sortta going downhill since Caldera folded.. Ah, Corp. Darwinism is the best.. :)

Gentle Fury
06-17-2003, 05:04 PM
wow, that is ballzy.............if they think they are going to get anything but bankrupt they are just silly..........anyway, the unix kernal that most linux distros are all based is so old now it should legally be public domain by now and be no contest!

EvilBasterd
06-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Thereby... The first version of linux was created from the ground up by Linus Torvalds. And every linux version that came after that, was based on the code written by Linus. So basicly he holds the basic copyright on the original linux source code. SCO can't harm the linux community because linux was totally created from the ground up without stealing code from them.

And even if Linux had stolen code in it... What could linus do about it. And since almost the entire world has the source code to Linux; What are the trying to do? Sue the entire world for having stolen code?

I think SCO is kinda desperate. I think its a quite futile (and i think pathatic) attempt to attack the entire Linux community and IBM.

Sieb
06-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Linus keeps control of the Kernel that runs linux, not linux itself. So anything can end up in it, but the base code that runs the OS is highly scrutinized by Linus. Plus, he isn't the only one coding for it, so some unix code could have made its way in by way of another dev or two. Linus isn't worried because all of linux is open so all SCO has to do is point out which code is stolen and Linus can track down who and where it came from. But SCO prefers to just threaten Linus instead of bringing forth evidence.

As far as Unix itself, its over 20 years old, and with as widespread as it is, I think its more public domain by now than anything else. SCO is acting like MS taking over unix and saying everyone owes them money for it since its theirs now.

Who's to say that the code in AIX came from ATT back in the day and has been there eversince?

Seperate of all this, SCO or some subsidary (the story is on cnet I think), is suing Apple for using the name Unix and the logo in conjunction with OSX which they say doesn't propery represent unix, thus, they have no legal right to use the name. Apple and the court say the name is public domain, or should be by now..

Man, everyone wants a piece all of a sudden...

elvis
06-17-2003, 11:06 PM
this has been going on for a while now. SCO are losing market share big time, and are grasping at straws. legally speaking they don't have a leg to stand on.

recently it was pointed out that SCO themselves use GPL software and are in breach of the GPL:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10018

SCO are also having major problems finding independant code testers to help them in their case, as anyone qualified to do the job know SCO are full of shit.

Sieb
06-18-2003, 03:17 AM
And they have to sign NDAs if they are going to look at the code they think is infringing. Stepping through kernel code, yea, that is a rather large investment there in time and money, then to make everyone else rectify where they got their code.. SCO has already doomed themselves. :shame:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.