PDA

View Full Version : Green vs Blue Screen

tleisher
11-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, I did a search around here but couldn't find anything specific to my question.

I have an upcoming film I'm producing/directing that has some effects shots in it. We're planning on using a green/blue screen to remove the background and replace it with an outside background.

I'm curious what the differences is in blue/green screen.. which is better to use? Does it matter, or should I go with whatever color isnt in the costumes?

nickmarshallvfx
11-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Some people do think that green keys slightly better than blue because there tends to be less grain in the green channel when compared to blue. However, some people prefer to use blue if they are intending to replace the screen with an outdoor environment because its easier to justify a slight blue spill if you are replacing with an outdoor background.

However, it basically comes down to what you said. If your actor is wearing jeans, go green. If they are wearing a green tshirt, go blue.

Cheers

Nick

zanian
11-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Blond hair also works better with blue.

wrosecrans
11-28-2008, 10:05 PM
If you are using DV, or a similar format that badly undersamples chroma, then a greenscreen can give you a little bit better of a key than a bluescreen. If the backplate is a lush green forest then a little bit of green spill is easier to just accept and not bother to fix.

But yeah, the most important thing is if the talent is wearing blue jeans or a green shirt, etc.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2008, 10:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.