PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for process to complete?

Subscream
06-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Hi

I was wondering. If I want to render 4 images on the same computer through mel. But I don't want the second render to
start before the first one is complete.
Is that possible? Can you tell maya to wait for a process to complete before submitting the other one?

regards Joel

alexx
06-17-2003, 05:41 PM
use a batch file to render the images rather than MEL to call them..

and usually whenever you start something in mel it always waits for the command to be finished before restarting.
if that should be not the case you can use the command "evalDeferred" which waits for maya to be idle before continuing..

but i am really not sure what you are doing right there

cheers

alexx

Subscream
06-18-2003, 08:02 AM
thanks ..

What I'm trying to do is a interface for rendering images that are bigger than 4096x4096. So I chunk those into smaller pieces using the top, bottom, left & right render coordinates in the defalutsubregion node ..

The problem is when I split an image I have 4 renders to complete and I don't want to execute them at the same time because then it'll use all my memory and probably fail to render.

You could save them as seperate files and render them externaly but I want the user to just push a button and don't have think about anything else.

Any ideas?

regards Joel

sedric
06-28-2003, 08:24 AM
there was a big discussion about this on the IRC channel last night....someone had a similar problem. he mentioned the command "evalDeferred" it seems to allow the script to "wait" for maya to be idle before it continues with your script.

i havnt used it yet...but i looked it up in the docs, and it might do the trick....

hope this helps,

sedric

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.