PDA

View Full Version : Holomatix Rendition news

taylorius
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi,

As ever, we've been busy at Holomatix - the latest releases have a large performance boost on multi-core machines, especially with heavy geometry scenes. For example if you're lucky enough to own an 8 core machine, you could see things rendering at double the speed!
As if that weren't enough (I know... it's never enough) ;-) we've also made improvements to shadow tracing, which gives a further 20-25% performance boost on scenes with several lights.

Another few months - another version of Maya. Rendition now supports maya 2009, via it's realtime plugin.

I know a lot of people are waiting for the 3ds max exporter. We're on the case, and our fledgling plugin can now export a (very simple) scene. Doesn't sound like much, but actually it means we're most of the way there, as like with so many things - it's all in the preparation! :-)

Check out the latest version at:

http://www.holomatix.com/products/rendition/about/

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

Hirazi
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Does your post imply, the development of a XSI7-version has been halted???

taylorius
11-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Does your post imply, the development of a XSI7-version has been halted???

Hi Hiraz,

Don't worry, it doesn't imply anything of the sort. We just reached a milestone on 3ds max, so I let people know! :-)

Matt

kemijo
11-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey taylorius,

I haven't had the chance to try Rendition yet but from what I've seen it looks great. Looking at the comparison shots between mental ray and Rendition, the image quality is similar but the look is different. Is Rendition intended to be a replacement for mental ray? How far behind is Rendition from mental ray on supported features? If a new version of mental ray is released, how quickly would users see the new features implemented in Rendition?

Glacierise
11-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Mr Taylor,

I am very glad with the progress of Rendition, keep up the great work!

taylorius
11-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey taylorius,

I haven't had the chance to try Rendition yet but from what I've seen it looks great. Looking at the comparison shots between mental ray and Rendition, the image quality is similar but the look is different. Is Rendition intended to be a replacement for mental ray? How far behind is Rendition from mental ray on supported features? If a new version of mental ray is released, how quickly would users see the new features implemented in Rendition?

Hi kemijo,

Rendition is designed to be 100% compatible with mental ray, with additional features, such as realtime preview, and the soon to be announced automatic channels. It can be used alongside mental ray, or as a replacement for it.

Inevitably it takes us some time to incorporate new mental ray features into Rendition (for example irradiance particles are not yet supported). However, we do keep up as quickly as we can - the exact time depends on the feature, really.

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

taylorius
Hi Mr Taylor,

I am very glad with the progress of Rendition, keep up the great work!

Hi Glacierise,

Nice to hear from you! :-) And thanks for your kind words..

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.