PDA

View Full Version : C.J Markham :: Artist Profile

PaulHellard
11-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Hey there,

CJ Markham's career is an amazing series of steps showing great perseverance, talent and a little bit of luck. He is riding an amazing wave, working now with Microsoft as Motion Capture Supervisor on many projects. He has a great story to tell.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/markham_plug.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5660)

InAction
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Really inspiring! I myself am working as an animator in a small company on an ambitious project, hopefully it will open up more views for me in the future. This article made my morning. :thumbsup:

Matasorapit
11-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, really inspirational.

Much like myself in history and hopefully my future.

nakimushi
11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
really like the King Kong stuff _ great work

davidbernal
11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
very inspiring indeed!! :)

Soggycake
11-26-2008, 12:26 AM
I share a lot of his point of views. Great inspriation.

K0mba
11-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi, very interesting, thanks for sharing & good luck for the future.

Ammarkk
11-28-2008, 07:43 AM
This is very good, I like it.

CJ_Markham
11-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Thank you Paul and everyone who commented. It's been quite a journey for me and it's good to hear my experiences have inspired others.

punnw01
12-01-2008, 07:58 AM
sweet f#*#ing ass dude!! i'm friggin' stoked to see how far along you've come. major congrats again buddy.

damn... i still remember those good ol' Taldren days. holy crap, we're old!!

wildone106
12-03-2008, 01:21 AM
wow good stuff I like the way you embraced the mocap rather than seeing it as affront to your keyframing skills, thats not easy to do.

CJ_Markham
12-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks Perry,

There was a time when I saw mocap as affront to keyframing. For many years now I just count it as an extra weapon in my animation arsenal.

The transition came for me when I got my first chance to act out some character moves in a mocap suit and worked with the data afterwards. To me, the result wasn't much different from acting it out in front of 2d video camera and using that footage as reference (circa so many Pixar 'making of' clips), the only difference is I had a 3d reference I could map to the character and then exaggerate and manipulate the key frames to get the final performance I wanted.

When it comes to keyframing and mocap I don't favour one over the other any more. Being able to keyframe makes me a better motion editor, and being able to edit mocap well makes me a better animator. That's all there is to it, learn all you can and use it where you can. It's been said "An artist is only as good as his resources" and I can't help but feel that saying applies to animation.

Ruben Apodaca (one of my mentors) worked on Sleeping Beauty, a landmark in 2d animation. But finding out that a large portion of the film was rotoscoped over filmed actors doesn't diminish it's value as a animation masterpiece in my view.

CJ

PaulHellard
05-19-2010, 04:13 AM
I'm reposting this article cos CJ is just an all-round legend.

I'll also be updating the piece with some of the work he's been doing at 343, as soon as he able to show anything. His work after GTA4 include Red Dead Redemption and a heap of other stuff.

I'll be more than happy to bring more material as soon as it is possible to do so.

gmangmangman
05-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi !

Great career, great job... Everything we're all dreaming about...

But I had a question : how much do you think your (amazing) drawing skills are important, especially in animation ? I'm a student in a French 3D school, and on the contrary to most of my schoolmates I didn't really draw since I'm four years old, so I'm trying to make up for lost time by working harder, but I feel I have really missed something in my childhood.

CGTalk Moderation
05-22-2010, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.