PDA

View Full Version : Soft Selection in Modo, Modo?

facialteacup
11-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Does Modo offer soft selection like in 3DS Max?

Also, is it possible to adjust the grid so that reference drawings and models can be scaled to a specific grid size like in feet or inches?

Thank you,

Facial

Phil Lawson
11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Pressing t will give you the element move tool - you can then use right mouse button to set the radius. You don't get the nice vertex display max gives you to show the falloff though. You can enable it to show falloff, but this is the actual falloff shape rather than what exact elements are being effected.

If you go to System | Preferences there will be an option ot set your measurement value. If you then want to scale an object, you can use the absolute scaling handles or click on the snaps and precision option in modo tools, then absolute scale. You can type in the values you desire then.

Cheers.

brenly
11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
you can then use right mouse button to set the radius.
Cheers.

nice .. learn something everyday ..

facialteacup
11-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Thank you Phil for the reply; however, I am still having some trouble setting my grid size. I usually like to model in feet, but I can not figure out where to set the grid. I went to System/Preferences, but I just did not see it.

brenly
11-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Preferences>Accuracy>Unit System

how can anyone work in inches and feet.

MikeS369
12-01-2008, 09:59 PM
You need to enable Grid Snapping and in the tool properties (lower left of UI after enabling grid snap) you can set the size of your grid. You can also choose to show the grid if you like.

facialteacup
12-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Thank you Brenly and Mike! Brenly, what grid size do you work in? Any suggestion?

MikeS369
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I usually work in .5" and 1".

Another good way to use grid snapping is to set the work plane to a selected edge or poly. But don't forget to reset the workplane after the snapping operation. Also try "Drag Snap Rigid" under "Snaps and Precision".

brenly
12-03-2008, 05:11 AM
I use metric .. I was just having a shot at imperial, I sometimes encounter imperial measurements at work and have absolutely no idea how it all works. Seems so convoluted.

I use millimeters and meters.

Preferences>Work Plane>Plane and Grid Increments

You can change the increment changes as you zoom in and out.

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2008, 05:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.