PDA

View Full Version : nVidia: Maximising applications across both monitors

davestewart
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
I've just got myself a new tonto quad core system, and new graphics card - an nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX. Hooray!

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to maximise apps to both monitors like I used to be able to with ATI Fire GL 3000.

Does anyone know if this is a driver / utility / software thing, and if so where I download it from?

Thanks,
Dave

aglick
11-24-2008, 05:21 PM
exactly what are you trying to make happen?

biliousfrog
11-24-2008, 05:43 PM
it should just be in the nvidia control panel, open it and select which monitor is the main one and which is the secondary and then put the application windows wherever you want.

davestewart
11-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Hi Adam,

I have dual monitors, and I just want to have the option to maximise an application across the whole my desktop. On my ATI card I had an extra-wide "maximise" button that did just that.

I was sure that nVidia had something called nView, but I can't find it for Vista 64 bit.

Any ideas?

And Steve, I'm not sure if you understood my question correctly?
Cheers,
Dave

fikret
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Heres a cool tool for a dual monitor setup:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

cheers,
fikret

davestewart
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Fikret, I'll check it out as it looks like nvidia have no plans to introduce nview for vista. A f*cking stupid decision if ever there was one!

biliousfrog
11-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Thanks Fikret, I'll check it out as it looks like nvidia have no plans to introduce nview for vista. A f*cking stupid decision if ever there was one!

Ah...that's what I meant by opening the nvidia control panel, all your options are in there.

Just searched google: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t15422.html

Your split screen settings should be in the control panel.

davestewart
11-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks, but I already have dual monitors working just fine - what I need is the control to maximise windows onto both of them - at the moment all I can do is maximise to a single window. I have to manually resize windows to get them onto two screens!

These are the options that were in XP but appear to be missing from the vista drivers / utilities

http://www.blacklightshop.com/nview.jpg

And in the drivers pdf, it says specificall that these features are NOT available in the vista drivers!

Cheers again,
Dave

Szos
11-26-2008, 04:30 AM
I had this same question ages ago, and I unfortunately do not recall the exact answer - I simply did not like having a window open on both screens so I never used the feature.

I THINK I had to simply drag and stretch the window onto both screens... then if you tried to maximize it, it would open up in both screens. But if you only stretched it out on one screen, it would only maximize it on only one screen.

Not sure if things have changed since then, but I am pretty sure that is how it used to work.

gamedeveloper
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
I piurchased Ultramon about a year ago. Worth EVERY PENNY.

Kai01W
11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
In the old days in the nvidia control panel you could set up three different modes for the dual monitor set up. I forgot what they were called exactly but one would just clone the content on both monitors, the second mode would create a seperate desktop for each monitor (and I guess that is the mode you are using now) and the third mode would create one big desktop spanning both monitors. In that last mode (it might even be called "span"), when you maximised a window it would do what you want, cause the windows desktop would not even "realize" you got two monitors

-k

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2008, 11:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.