PDA

View Full Version : Broken rig?!?

Stenofo
11-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Hello everybody.
Here's my problem:
I used the standard biped guide to rig a creature. I made a first stand idle animation and saved it with the Store AnimatedParameters-Fcurves&Expressions command. I made a couple of others then I noticed something odd was occurring: hand grabs and reverse foot controls weren't working anymore. I reloaded my first animation and everyting went fine. I kept saving animations without the Remove The Original Animation command. I simply removed keys manually in the keying panel. Every time I finished an animation I rendered my creature, rotating the Biped "null" to get the six orientations I need. When I finished all animations I started rendering a second version of my creature, and I mean same rigged model with different details.

Hand grabs and reverse foot controls keep on not working and above all rotating the Biped Null causes the upper body to rotate arbitrarily on its own (spine problem?).

Now, what's wrong? I searched a couple of forums and I know that rigs can break- and expecially spines...
Is there a way to fix a broken rig?
Is there a way to avoid breaking a rig?
Is it normal for hand grabs and reverse foot controls (parameters?) to stop working after an animation is removed? How can it be prevented without painfully removing keys by hand?
I kept the original Biped_Guide: is this any good? And no, I haven't a previous version of my scene.
For the record I didn't think that I could experience boroken rigs in a professional grade tool... (Foundation 6.02)
Am I doing something wrong?
Any help/pointers would be helpful...
Thank you for your time and see you.

Sil3
11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Hard to say without look but check if you did any of this:

- Set Neutral Poses on any affected Item AFTER it was Animated

- Remove ALL Animation from ALL Parameters Any Animation Type

The first one will "confuse" XSi and it will give you weird Translations and Rotations, NEVER Animate and later Set a Neutral Pose, set the Neutral Pose BEFORE any Animation and if you Animated on the same rig and later saved and then transfered the Animation to it be sure to know if the items were Animated without Neutral Poses or Not.

The second will REMOVE EVERYTHING including Expressions, so this will affect the way Items behave in relation to each other if they were depending on them, like a Spine or an Arm Roll or the Foot Setup.

Also make sure you are not accidentaly Rotating Bones or other Items with the COG on.

Since you kepted the Original Biped (smart option) make a new Rig from it and apply the Animation you Already have.

Best of Luck

Stenofo
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Hello Sil3.
The answer to both cases is: probably I did so. This is my first animation project in XSI and I experimented a lot... I remember setting a neutral pose between animations... I'm also sure I hit the "remove everything" command in a previous version of my scene. I really can't remember if I undid it and if and what was inherited from that version.
It's good to know I can remake the rig and apply my animations, though.
Thank you very much for your quick answer.
Best of luck to you too.

Sil3
11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
np...

Glad I could help, because I personally have done all of the mistakes I talked about on my post and I know what they costed me :blush:

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.