PDA

View Full Version : Disney expands 3D movies with "Beauty", IMAX deal

M-H
11-22-2008, 04:15 PM
http://mhviraf.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/disney-expands-3d-movies-with-beauty-imax-deal/

lebada
11-23-2008, 03:17 AM
i think its cool. adults can revisit their childhood memories and kids can experience a whole new way of seeing them.

wolfmanyoda
11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Ugh. Yes, it was a great movie. But really, weren't remakes bad enough? Now we're just re-rendering from 2D to 3D? Don't they have writers?

jeremybirn
11-24-2008, 12:08 AM
Ugh. Yes, it was a great movie. But really, weren't remakes bad enough? Now we're just re-rendering from 2D to 3D? Don't they have writers?

I think when the article said "3D" they meant stereoscopic projection. So, they are still talking about the original hand-drawn film, just adapted to be projected in another format. I don't know if adapting it to be stereoscopic will be everyone's cup of tea, but at least it'll get more people into theaters to see that classic movie in a restored big-screen projection.

-jeremy

Marlonnowe
11-24-2008, 03:59 AM
Yes, same movie. Only now it's been run through a process where all the elements get pushed into a "multi plane" environment. Nightmare Before Xmas went through the same thing and it looked really cool. I've seen a test shot of Beauty & The Beast "3D" and it's awesome. It's a great way to see an amazing film back in theaters in a fresh way. God, I sound like a producer :) Anyway, it's cool.

Marlon

PS: Bolt will rock Thanksgiving Weekend... I hope :o Damn Twillight! :)

aaraaf
11-24-2008, 01:45 PM
It'll be a fun one to get the treatment.

Beauty and the Beast was just a zenith for that phase of Disney with such a talented AND eager group of people on a singlularly focused project.

If I'm not wrong in thinking, it was their first film done completely in their digital ink and paint system (I think Little Mermaid and The Great Mouse Detective were mixes) so it should setup easy-ish enough to get great results.

wolfmanyoda
11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
I think when the article said "3D" they meant stereoscopic projection.
Ah, my bad. That sounds much better.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.