PDA

View Full Version : Alien World

meatle
11-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Hey this is an Alien World I developed for this fall's semester at college. I finished it about a month ago but may bring it back for an animation competition at my school

So I'm wondering if there's anything that look's outta whack here from you good peoples.

Any Comment/criticisms are welcome. Thanks.

(If the quality isn't good enough I can post a better one on vimeo or something.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ8E2MSNebI

Higher quality
http://vimeo.com/2344715

robcat2075
11-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Interesting... I don't perceive any "story" so I'll presume that's not at issue here.

One thing that bothers me is I get a sense there's a lot of forced perspective at work in the back ground scenery that is being compromised by the moving camera. If the camera didn't move it would work, but when it does it rather appears that the pylon in the far ground is much smaller than the one up close.

??

Nary
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
hi meatle,

great job.. liked the colors and mood..
just an observation.. most of the components i could perceive were "human", except for the alien ship.. if its possible for you to add few more 'inexplicable' things which might make it look 'alien', i think it would help..

nary

meatle
11-22-2008, 09:49 PM
robcat2075: I definitely know what you mean. If I do use this I'll try to plan shots around that, and avoid over head shots.

Nary: I'd definitely like to add some more elements to the scene if I can, it is a little barren.

Thanks both for the suggestions/comments.

wind27382
11-25-2008, 03:19 PM
k first of all great concept and great idea. the only problem is that the compositing is horrible, that why people are saying the perspective is off. if looks like you put a texture on a plan and put it in the background. what you should have done was rendered just the mountains and the objects from your 3d program with an aplha channel, and took it into after effects and put the background in their. so that it will not move with the camera angel unless you want it to. you can aslo animate the clouds in after effects.

meatle
11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
yeah I've never done compositing...I know somewhat of how the process goes, but I would definitely look into it if I was going to do more wide angle or overhead shots. I understand how the dome/texture would be distracting in this are. I did state above that I'm going plan my camera shots taking this issue into account, but yeah compositing's something I hope to have time to learn more about at some point.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.