PDA

View Full Version : Surfacing/Shadow issue (usebackground)

trgTyson
11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Good day!

First time poster in this forum, been a maya user for a little while and for our current project we are using lightwave to render/light. My question is, is there a way of getting an object/surface to recieve shadows but be invisible/unseen at the same time. For anyone familiar with maya this would be similar to the "usebackground" shader. Trying to get a shadow pass out but an area of our ground object curves down (it is a rock of sorts) and it's darker/black where the light is not reaching.

If I have "recieve" or "cast" shadows enabled under the object settings enabled but then turn on "unseen by camera" I dont recieve anything.

Any tips/ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers!

-Tyson G

CtrlAltDel
11-22-2008, 04:27 AM
Got to the surface editor (f5) then select advanced tab, then on the "Alpha channel" drop-down select "shadow density.

You might also want to uncheck "self shadow" on the "object properties" and set the surface to a plain shade (i prefer 75%gray) and save the object copy as a shadow only object.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2008, 04:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.