PDA

View Full Version : Generating particles from mask

BazyBen
11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Hello particle-people!
I'm trying to figure out how to generate particles from a mask in form of an image sequence. I have rendered out a depth-map of an ocean where the peaks are white and the slopes black. I need to know how to generate particles from the white peaks. Is this somehow possible using particle flow?

scrimski
11-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Create a plane, use a Vol.Select modifier with the map, add a Delete MeshModifier and use the whole thing as a Position Object in PFlow

BazyBen
11-21-2008, 08:27 PM
scrimski; Exactly what I needed! Thanks man!

JonathanFreisler
11-22-2008, 02:00 AM
If you do it scrimski's way, your going to have a pretty harsh cut off at the edge of your emitting mesh - his way will work perfectly fine though.

In pflow, for your position object, under "location" there is "density by material", turn that on and you can see heaps of channels that will open up, grayscale would work fine for what you need. Doing it this way will give you a nice fall off in the grey areas as apposed to either Black, or white if you get what i mean. Pflow may need to be refreshed when doing density by material, so just hit a new seed off and should work fine.

BazyBen
11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
JonathanFreisler; Thanks for the info, I'll definetly try that as well!

Here's what i got so far:
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc148/bazyben/oceanframe.jpg

And here's the animation: http://vimeo.com/2315119

Everything is set up without any plugins except the particles emitting from the foam which is Krakatoa. Rendered with scanline.
What do you guys think?

scrimski
11-22-2008, 04:53 PM
If you do it scrimski's way, your going to have a pretty harsh cut off at the edge of your emitting mesh - his way will work perfectly fine though.

In pflow, for your position object, under "location" there is "density by material", turn that on and you can see heaps of channels that will open up, grayscale would work fine for what you need. Doing it this way will give you a nice fall off in the grey areas as apposed to either Black, or white if you get what i mean. Pflow may need to be refreshed when doing density by material, so just hit a new seed off and should work fine.
Dang, nice one. Didn't even though about that.

JonathanFreisler
11-23-2008, 02:40 AM
BazyBen, very cool dude. The motion of the ocean (ahaha) is almost there, but its still a tiny bit weird.

Also white caps don't just "fade" away (you have probably done it by a gradient ramp to determine height or something). When they have comes down from being a peak, the white caps sore of disperse. I only noticed these things on the wave thats closes to the camera on the left at the end though.

Very cool though.

grury
11-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I agree with Jonathan, visually very good, but the movement isnt quite there, feels a bit too mush like an animated noise modifier.
But yeah pretty cool stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2008, 08:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.