PDA

View Full Version : Surreal Image...At least that Is what I think...

Viper
04-30-2002, 07:08 AM
Hey guys. I am not exactly a new member. been registered here for quite some time. But never got an interesting artwork to show it here (You know, I am a Scifi guru. I do mostly Trek stuff) :)

Anyway, this was a little thing I did this morning. I wanted to something diferent then usual. And something kinda surreal too.:buttrock:

I did the main modeling and light setup (That was only an Area Light actually) in about 3 hours. Then I left Brazil doing the rest. I used the GI and all that. Took 1 hour and 30 mins to render it. ;)

I use MAX 4 as you might already have noticed *points to Brazil* :D

Nuff talking, here's the image:

http://realover.m-cgi.org/temp/alien_reactor.jpg

What it is? I leave it up to you to say it :)

Cheers! :beer:

Jhonus
04-30-2002, 07:19 AM
cool pic

maybe you should relax the DOF a little and get some more contrast going (it just seems a little dull).

i would call it abstract rather than surreal?

its a nice image and has potential. I think maybe it needs a focus that keeps the attention of the viewer... dunno... maybe stick some circular windows on the ball and have something inside?? Just an idea.

bye, :thumbsup:

Viper
04-30-2002, 07:29 AM
Abstract! I knew I was confusing it with something else..hehe :)

Anyway, I considered windows....but it would ruin it. About the focus and the contrast, I can take a look at that. It was done in Photoshop and I still got the original. Might play on that :)

diazgl
04-30-2002, 11:51 AM
hheeh, I once did an image similar to this some years back, but then I sucked in 3d, so naturally, it came out like shit..:D
Yours is nice, but here's a few pointers:
-Use actual focus; you'll get much better results
-Why not make the wires exiting perpedicular to the sphere? ( judging from the holes, they don't have much room to rotate anyways) I know you're trying to create a sense of gravity, but even so, the base of the wires would be perpendicular to the sphere (about).
-Create a more interesting enviroment for it (and it's pretty easy to do actually, cos it will be out of focus, hiding all of the details). You can like, show that this is a part of a reactor, or imply that it is, stuff like that.

Viper
04-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by diazgl
hheeh, I once did an image similar to this some years back, but then I sucked in 3d, so naturally, it came out like shit..:D
Yours is nice, but here's a few pointers:
-Use actual focus; you'll get much better results
-Why not make the wires exiting perpedicular to the sphere? ( judging from the holes, they don't have much room to rotate anyways) I know you're trying to create a sense of gravity, but even so, the base of the wires would be perpendicular to the sphere (about).
-Create a more interesting enviroment for it (and it's pretty easy to do actually, cos it will be out of focus, hiding all of the details). You can like, show that this is a part of a reactor, or imply that it is, stuff like that.

The focus...I dunno why, but I didn't get Brazil to render with the damm DOF. So I can't do it in MAX.

I wasn't going to any sense of gravity. I made this really fast. So I just made the spline and made sure they were comming out of thesphere in right places.

I know about the enviroment. It sucks right. Any sugestions about what to make?

Thanks for the input :)

diazgl
05-01-2002, 03:15 AM
Hmm, well on the wires matter, I think they should be exiting the sphere at right angles, and THEN curving up.
Well, about the enviroment, since the env. appears to be heavily out of focus, you could like, add buldings with pipes and wires, and make it look like a power plant. No need for detail though (it's out of focus, but make sure you make lots of stuff)

Viper
05-01-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by diazgl
Hmm, well on the wires matter, I think they should be exiting the sphere at right angles, and THEN curving up.
Well, about the enviroment, since the env. appears to be heavily out of focus, you could like, add buldings with pipes and wires, and make it look like a power plant. No need for detail though (it's out of focus, but make sure you make lots of stuff)

I liked the Buildings Idea. Thanks :)

I'll correct the wires for the next version too :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.