PDA

View Full Version : Lifting something "heavy."

Reeder113
11-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Still a WIP, but thought I'd get some feedback from fresh eyes before I go any further. C&C Welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvB1-OhsVi0

robcat2075
11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I like that, especially the overlap on the head when he yanks on the weight.

He doesn't really have his feet in the right place at first, but I guess that's the idea, since he adjusts them into a slightly better position later. But the first lift looks impossible. His feet are too far back and his butt is too far forward for him to do anything but fall forward.

The element that strikes me most is the how the weight rolls over at the end. It's very linear. It doesn't quite look like it's really falling into place. A tiny little bounce or rock as it settles might help too.

I don't know if the initial run-zip is there for some larger story purpose, but just in this clip it's so brief and shorthand I'm not sure it serves a purpose.

Reeder113
11-22-2008, 12:07 AM
I like that, especially the overlap on the head when he yanks on the weight.

He doesn't really have his feet in the right place at first, but I guess that's the idea, since he adjusts them into a slightly better position later. But the first lift looks impossible. His feet are too far back and his butt is too far forward for him to do anything but fall forward.

The element that strikes me most is the how the weight rolls over at the end. It's very linear. It doesn't quite look like it's really falling into place. A tiny little bounce or rock as it settles might help too.

I don't know if the initial run-zip is there for some larger story purpose, but just in this clip it's so brief and shorthand I'm not sure it serves a purpose.

Thanks for the critique. I agree with the ending, when the object is falling into place. There's something that makes the object suddenly feel "lighter." I'll try some things out and see how it works.

Regarding the initial "run-zip," it will look a lot better once I've rendered it and implimented motion blur. IMHO, it adds a lot of personality to the character, and the fact that he stops so quickly into a pose with very little or no overlap is somewhat comical. But again, I'll have to see how it looks once I've rendered it, because you may be right. Thanks, again.

robcat2075
11-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Regarding the initial "run-zip," it will look a lot better once I've rendered it and implimented motion blur. IMHO, it adds a lot of personality to the character, and the fact that he stops so quickly into a pose with very little or no overlap is somewhat comical. But again, I'll have to see how it looks once I've rendered it, because you may be right. Thanks, again.

OK, here's another way to look at it... why does he need to dash over there to flip that... thing? And what the hell is it?

If you can answer those questions in the first second of the clip, then there's a reason to start him so far away and rush over.

Otherwise it's like ... huh?

Reeder113
11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
OK, here's another way to look at it... why does he need to dash over there to flip that... thing? And what the hell is it?

If you can answer those questions in the first second of the clip, then there's a reason to start him so far away and rush over.

Otherwise it's like ... huh?

Anticipation.............it brings more texture into the animation.

What is it?..........I don't think it matters. He's trying to pick it up, and its heavy. The point of the animation is to show weight, timing, and texture. Does it really matter what it is and why he's trying to pick it up? Either way, I appreciate the comments. Its good to get a fresh eye on it.

I'm working on fixing the ending (adding more sense of weight to it).

SandeepMaithani
11-25-2008, 06:22 AM
I think robocat is trying to bring purpose into this shot which eventually would make it more interesting.IMHO the anticipation here dosen't seem to have any purpose.What was in his mind before that dash!!!did he thought that object to be very light??was he thinking superman of him?had he a fight with his girlfriend and venting his anger??
If you have the purpose,you'll get more and better ideas to anticipate thus making your animation interesting.
what he thought before and what he had to face, based on this contrast, you can reach to a very interesting ending for this shot.
thinking this way starts to bring out a story teller in you.Its a slow, gradual process but works for sure.
and if its like ..oh yes i can animate, then a good job done barring the end as you know it.
hope i conveyed it.

regards

sandy

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2008, 06:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.